Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
If anyone can pass this along to Jolla's Twitter - please post the link to the thread back here. There is a length limit on Twitter, but the question is whether Jolla OS is based on Mer (and that's what they called "MeeGo based"), or it also has some parts of the MeeGo project besides Mer and that's why they say "MeeGo based"?. Jolla's often usage of the name MeeGo creates quite a confusion.
Haven't they answered this one many times? JollaOS is based on Mer. Mer is a fork of the MeeGo codebase, henceworth by proxy JollaOS is based on MeeGo.

I don't understand what is confusing about it?

Last edited by ajalkane; 2012-08-15 at 16:40.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
Stskeeps will pass the questions along as soon as he'll have some time. Just wait.

So, can anyone with Twitter help out with the question above? The Wiki article is stalled because of no consensus about what Jolla means when saying they are "Meego based".
https://twitter.com/CreamyG31337/sta...79959652769792

(you should consider getting a twitter account, actually useful in some ways)

Last edited by Creamy Goodness; 2012-08-15 at 16:56.

Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
Haven't they answered this one many times? JollaOS is based on Mer. Mer is a fork of the MeeGo codebase, henceworth by proxy JollaOS is based on MeeGo.

I don't understand what is confusing about it?
I mean they did confusing statements like saying that it's Mer based and Meego based at the same time. That's what needs clarification.

Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
https://twitter.com/CreamyG31337/sta...79959652769792

(you should consider getting a twitter account, actually useful in some ways)
Thanks! I did consider it, but decided not to get it for the same reason why I don't use Skype and try to avoid other proprietary networks.

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-08-15 at 18:34.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
I mean they did confusing statements like saying that it's Mer based and Meego based at the same time. That's what's need clarification.

it has been answered here already if you nees clarificatipn read merproject.org

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
it has been answered here already if you nees clarificatipn read merproject.org
I don't need clarification, but Wikipedia needs solid references, which atm can only be considered such when they come from Jolla.

I mean they did confusing statements like saying that it's Mer based and Meego based at the same time. That's what needs clarification.
Why is that confusing? Mer is MeeGo based, so JollaOS is MeeGo based by being based on Mer.

Are you asking this question because you don't know which way it is, or so that there is some answer that fulfills Wikipedia's criterias?

If the latter, I'm not sure if a Twitter answer is sufficient.

Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
Why is that confusing? Mer is MeeGo based, so JollaOS is MeeGo based by being based on Mer.

Are you asking this question because you don't know which way it is, or so that there is some answer that fulfills Wikipedia's criterias?

If the latter, I'm not sure if a Twitter answer is sufficient.
Yes, that's how I understand it too (i.e. Jolla is Mer based, and through Mer it's related to the historic Meego project). However other Wiki editors find Jolla statements confusing or even think that Jolla means "Meego based" as something besides Mer. So they want references. Unfortunately Jolla's overusage of the name "Meego" only complicates matters.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Jolla

Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Please Jolla , do something about the E7 too!

great great phone

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I doubt they going for a buissniss phone

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Yes, that's how I understand it too (i.e. Jolla is Mer based, and through Mer it's related to the historic Meego project). However other Wiki editors find Jolla statements confusing or even think that Jolla means "Meego based" as something besides Mer. So they want references. Unfortunately Jolla's overusage of the name "Meego" only complicates matters.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Jolla
I can understand your point. But the discussion shows me just people who understand very well that JollaOS is based on Mer, which is based on MeeGo, therefore JollaOS is based on MeeGo by "inheritance". There seems to be one guy who seems to be concerned about the copyright of the name "MeeGo" and that it shouldn't be use by Jolla because there is no permission from Linux Foundation.

Granted, I did not have the time nor patience to read any but few dozen of the comments. But if the rest is the same, I find this discussion silly.

Wikipedia should be "for the common man". MeeGo based is the more recognizable term and should be used in the article. Mer should also be referenced, but erasing MeeGo for Mer would not serve the "general public" IMO.

Last edited by ajalkane; 2012-08-15 at 22:27.

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla