I felt the same! N800 still my favorite, N900 not bad, but far from the N800's convenience.

Originally Posted by dylanemcgregor View Post
It's funny, because I just recently got myself an N900, and while there are things I like about it (faster processor and more memory at the top) overall I find it to be a step back in many ways from the N800 that I'd been using for the few years before that. At first I assumed a lot of it was just unfamiliarity with a new UI, but after 2 months or so of using it daily, it still seems much less polished than the N800.

Makes me wonder if the 770 was truly the best NIT.

Originally Posted by sifo View Post
after all of this i wont buy an N9/50 :-D maybe just another N900 or an Android one !
Stay away from Android, sure it's nice to have shitloads of apps (or at least some of them) but in the end I really don't need them. The n900 pretty much has all I need to have...
I just went and bought another n900 from one of the members here. I asked him why he did changed to an Android phone and he only mentioned that he needed a decent map solution, which really is something I also miss, but that's about it.
I really hope that Jolla does succed and maybe even offers a n900 port - heck I would even pay for it. Also I do like QT and did my first apps with that, but with an uncertain future I just don't know if it' worse investing time...

Long live the n900 and Jolla hopefully,
blck

P.S.: Sifo I just love your signature

The Following User Says Thank You to blck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 102 | Thanked: 248 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Eindhoven, Netherlands
I had bought an n950 a while back. However it didn't fulfill my tweaking and my hacking needs. At first I thought it was amazing, but then the amazement was decreasing significantly the more I was using it. It didn't give me the wow effect that would remain for a while. I believe I was used to the openness of n900 which made me miss Fremantle. The n9/950 is great of course but it lacks something the n900 had.

With n900 it was oddly the opposite. At first, it felt like nothing special compared to the other OS'es, but the more I was using it, the more amazement I got. After I had to sell my n950, I switched back to n900. It actually didn't feel as a downgrade but an upgrade. I totally agree with the OP and can fully understand him. The FM transmitter I can fully make use of, the awesome IR port, the led notifier and the resistive screen.

And great things are being developied right now such as the new instruction set for n900 and a new ff build. An awesome whatsapp client, ambitious projects with raspberry pi and much more other things. I think I will stick with my n900 for a long time. I am a happy downgrader...

My only real complaints about my N900;

1) More RAM.
2) Hardware issues (I didn't have my USB fall out, but I had two of them with bright spots on the LCD, and it got scratched ... time to order a new screen off eBay)
3) There is no number 3
4) Phone call UI was sometimes horribly slow to respond, is this fixed perhaps with the CSSU-thumb? I haven't tested that yet.

Other than really the phone issue, I would have probably stuck with it instead of getting the N9. Much like many others, I would part with my left testicle for a tablet running Maemo 5. I keep telling a co-worker that I hate Android 'cause it doesn't use X11, but he says X11 is so 'heavy' and is one of those guys who thinks wayland is going to make everything so much faster, while he uses a crappy java based UI. Even more amusing is that he pointed out that someone created an 'xorg' program for it. I looked at it, and they can barely run twm with it. It's like being a eunich with a model for a girlfriend.

slaapliedje

Posts: 640 | Thanked: 435 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ rajvoSa BA
yesterday my n900 is indoor and i must say, it's far way better and more powerful than n9

The Following User Says Thank You to wook_sf For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I have 3 N9s and they are all sitting in my box. n900 is in use alongside iphone 4s for biz use. i just cant believe what a downgrade n9 is. what was Nokia thinking

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 640 | Thanked: 435 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ rajvoSa BA
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
I have 3 N9s and they are all sitting in my box. n900 is in use alongside iphone 4s for biz use. i just cant believe what a downgrade n9 is. what was Nokia thinking
if they're in boxes then you should consider to share em to ppl who would be happy to have em you know this newbie hackers and old coders that don't have new n9's or n950's because it's not really such downgrade just there's no much of ppl who have em, that's why there's no much of moding nor coding...
but, congo on great collection :P

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
I'm not puzzled about what Nokia was thinking. I'm puzzled about the stupidity in buying two N9s if they're only in box. But buying three, that one goes beyond my abilities in solving stupidity-puzzles.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
I'm not puzzled about what Nokia was thinking. I'm puzzled about the stupidity in buying two N9s if they're only in box. But buying three, that one goes beyond my abilities in solving stupidity-puzzles.
Well its him after all, what else can you expect from him

The funny thing is he doesn't sell them away and updates the phones too...

Also no matter how much he praises WP, he uses the n900 and iphone4s...Sometimes I wonder whether he too knows what he defends and speaks about...

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-08-11 at 14:51.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
There is another important drawback for N9 is the lack of HW keyboard, this makes some software such as Open Office unusable.

I'm using the N950, but still feel 2 main downgrades for N900, the fm tranmitter and storage. If N950 supports SD card and FM transmitter would be much better.

I wish Jolla makes a true successor to the legend N900.