Posts: 704 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Johannesburg - South Africa
Hey guys, I read somewhere that the N9 can automatically switch from 3G to any known Wifi Hotspot if available to save Data costs, I have Wifi in the house and at work, I'd really appreciate it if this phone could automatically swtich to the nearest Wifi, so far I have to do it manually....

2. If the phone gets rebooted, how do U set it to automatically reconnect?

Thanx

Manually connect n9 to wifi once connected go to settings-internet connection-edit networks then long press the wifi connection then choose use automatically, once the network is available n9 should connect automatically

N9 64gb black

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zaoltryence For This Useful Post:
Posts: 704 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Johannesburg - South Africa
Thanx man Just learnt something new!

Actually I wish we could set a priority number. Like I prefer to use data unless the connection is not working as quick as it should

The Following User Says Thank You to Ynohtna For This Useful Post:
Posts: 168 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ California, USA
I agree that the n9 settings are a bit unclear, compared to the n900 or recent symbian^3 phones.

Only the n9/n950 seem to have ambiguous connection management, whereas the n900 and symbian^3 phones essentially have the equivalent of 'switch to wifi when available' and/or connection priority settings.

It's quite possible that the n9/n950 connections tweaking that zaoltryence described effectively 'switches to wifi when available', but it's really not clear what the intent is from the available dialogs/settings.

I'm just noticing lately that wifi priority is not working anymore? Or is it just me? I'm thinking since 1.3 it doesn't auto go from 3g to wifi anymore. anyone else observe this?

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by Ynohtna View Post
I'm just noticing lately that wifi priority is not working anymore? Or is it just me? I'm thinking since 1.3 it doesn't auto go from 3g to wifi anymore. anyone else observe this?
I don't have that issue... Maybe sometimes it doesn't switch over if idling but the moment i unlock the screen it switches over...

I have been wondering how the phone "knows" that wifi is nearby when you enable automatic switch over? periodic scanning? If turn off all the automatic switch over for wifi, does it still periodically scan for wifi? If it doesn't, does that mean I save more battery?

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by kai_en View Post
I have been wondering how the phone "knows" that wifi is nearby when you enable automatic switch over? periodic scanning? If turn off all the automatic switch over for wifi, does it still periodically scan for wifi? If it doesn't, does that mean I save more battery?
Scanning happens every 5 minutes.

Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
Scanning happens every 5 minutes.
Even if I turned off automatically connect option on all known WIFI access point?