Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
If you've developed for Maemo or Harmattan, you'll feel right at home with the Sailfish SDK and start making applications quickly.

The Tizen SDK OTOH is an alien abomination that is squeezed into the much too bloated Eclipse IDE and consists of weird plugins that you're somehow supposed to use for developing with HTML5 and jQuery in a WYSIWYM-style (not WYSIWYG!). The emulator is pretty good, though, but still behind the Sailfish emulator.

If you're coming from WP, iOS, or Android development, you'll sure be hailing the Tizen SDK as the holy grail, but if you've developed for Harmattan or Sailfish before, you wouldn't want to touch it even with a pole IMHO.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by kingstu View Post
I don't see why you can't just install both SDKs? Is your goal to write apps for either Tizen or Sailfish? I installed the Sailfish SDK and I hope I can write a few simple apps before my device arrives. I am a novice but I feel the investment will be worthwhile for me.
Support Jolla, for got sake! Samsung has enought developers, How would endusers even notice your app? Better go for small player to get more attention.

Jolla has a vision. Samsung is just big corporation with only one intrests make as much money as possible to the stockholders without doing anything.

When Jolla has true visionary engineers who want to make difference.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
If you've developed for Maemo or Harmattan, you'll feel right at home with the Sailfish SDK and start making applications quickly.

The Tizen SDK OTOH is an alien abomination that is squeezed into the much too bloated Eclipse IDE and consists of weird plugins that you're somehow supposed to use for developing with HTML5 and jQuery in a WYSIWYM-style (not WYSIWYG!). The emulator is pretty good, though, but still behind the Sailfish emulator.

Yeah, Eclipse I really HATE that bloated crap.

Using it at my work because Eclipse is used on lowend embedded ARM platform and really is pain in the arse.

I hope QtCreator in the future can have plugins for embedded lowend toolchains. MentorGraphics (who makes builds for ARM/Coldfire GCC toolchains and pack it with bloated eclipse) should take a look at QtCreator thats for sure...

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Please focus on the SDK and not on business, fanboys talk or dreams. We have a other treads with that.

But you are of course free to post whatever you like

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-05-31 at 19:30.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I just knew someone would steal that line. Congrats.
You practically begged for it. I'm surprised I was the only one nice enough to abide.

But happy hacking with the SDKs .

The Following User Says Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
When Jolla has true visionary engineers who want to make difference.
You're a true old-fashioned romantic!

Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
You're a true old-fashioned romantic!
I would not mind to work for Jolla.

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
I would not mind to work for Jolla.
Yeah we all get that.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Hey Guys, Just did my first Tizen javascript,Html,Css applications. It can show stock prices for your portfolio. Now I just need a Tizen appstore and translations in some Asian languages IF Tizen going Asia only. Lets hope not.

Tizen SDK is straight forward and so is Sailfish but It's easier to create applications for tizen.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-06-01 at 11:18.