Closed Thread
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
From Jolla I expect/wish:

- Terminal application (most important first)
- SSH access to phone. I'm spoiled with N9 just SSHing to the phone and transfering data in and out.
- Basic phone functionality: Call/SMS/MMS
- Reasonable e-mail
- Calendar with synchronization with open protocols
- IM: Telepathy framework with support for at least XMPP
- Fast camera with reasonable quality
- Maps application and hopefully navigation application
- Basic music and video player

Third-party apps I wish for:
- EasyList or something as good
- Public transportation application (Meegopas as an open-source application has been my choice and I hope it gets to Sailfish)
- MyMoves - baby Jesus might cry if we don't get it to Sailfish
- Flashlight torch - I prefer something simple like N9's PureLight that can be coupled with MyMoves to make turning it on/off fast)
- MeeCast
- WakeOnLan application (like ejjoman's excellent application)
- EggTimer or equivalent - Who wouldn't like timing eggs? Actually personally I only need the mp3 they include in that application :P.
- ProfileMatic & RingingRestorer (I think I can do these myself)
- Alkoon application
- Viiniopas
- Fart application (still missing from N9 )

Last edited by ajalkane; 2013-05-28 at 17:56.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
I would like to see this functionality:
  • IMAP IDLE support in the e-mail client
  • Bluetooth MAP (Message Access Profile) - should be included in the latest Bluez
Bluetooth PAN support. Wifi is a PITA; bluetooth doesn't need those silly passwords, can easily be paired and unpaired with any device and is low-power enough for permanent stand-by.

Bluetooth v4/smart also seems to gain some traction and might become important for smart watches et al.

IMAP support should have the decency to remove the "new e-mail" notification once you've read the e-mail on the desktop or wherever.

Oh and of course we Dutchfolks need Buienradar app. (I've just preordered the Jolla, that gave me a nice incentive to port the N9 variant to Sailfish )

The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 152 | Thanked: 70 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ India
Apart from what all other mentioned... A decent "Free" Document Viewer and may be a paid editor. (Better if the editor is also free )

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kumary For This Useful Post:
  • integration of Contacts & Calender (if a contact's birthday is entered, it is automatically added to the calendar -- this has been standard on NOKIA for ages, so assume Jolla will include it by default
  • (extension of the above) a todo-list that gets default feeds from the calendar (no need to make it rocket-build-project-proof... just a list with a check-box next to each item, à la N900/Qlister
  • if a todo app is included à la N900/Qlister, tweak the code a little to make it shopping list app as well
  • tcpsvd such as it was available in Fremantle
    (can start a FTP server with
    Code:
    tcpsvd -vE 0.0.0.0 21 ftpd -w / >/dev/null 2>&1 &
    (as root))
  • (already mentioned but...) silence a call by turning device face down
    (NOKIA standard as well, thus...)
  • (already mentioned but...) someplayer, possibly with skip less transistion
  • (already mentioned but...) if Jolla wants to have any chance against Android, need to provide a built-in map / navigation solution, i'd say...
  • rpm, right? yumex >¦-)
    can't wait to get ride of that deb cr@p and yum is already going to be a benediction compared to that cr@p, but a graphical interface is nice, especially for casual users (Android user, anyone?)
  • root access with rootsh (thus none of that su~cr@p )
    yet another calamity that arose from deb / buntu

on a side note... how many versions of Sailfish are there going to be?
not vesion like 1.0, 1.1, 2.0 aso., but version like... well, à la Windooooz (basic, home, pro & all that)?
maybe companies licensing Sailfish will want to get a "core" version & add their own apps? certainly for hardware manufacturer, but possibly also for network operators?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Skype with video call.. Seriously it's not acceptable anymore to have a phone that can't do Skype video call..

Honestly with Android compatibility I don't think I would as for apps since I can most probably download apps from the android market.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
I expect the music player will use gstreamer, so you're probably SOL on that one.
don't worry, I'm used to it. I've been screaming into the desolate chasms of gapless playback for years. At least I get to hear the familiar echos of my own voice.

The Following User Says Thank You to Drekkie For This Useful Post:
Stream online like firstrowsport, justinTV

need a Guest House for temporary stay at Malaysia?
PM me

The Following User Says Thank You to baem90 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bandora View Post
Skype with video call.. Seriously it's not acceptable anymore to have a phone that can't do Skype video call..
Why isn't it acceptable? Not everyone needs MS spyware on their devices. Having such option for those who really need it for some reason is OK, but "not acceptable for a phone" sounds a bit stretched, when Skype isn't exactly known to be user friendly.

Sorry for going off-topic, but this was standing out.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-05-28 at 19:40.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
-bluetooth keyboard and mouse support
-hdmi ouput
-configurable alarm snooze/repeat management for calendar events and other notifications
-syncml support
-dlna support: server, control point, renderer, all three

Last edited by sconf; 2013-05-28 at 20:36.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sconf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by youmeego View Post
who has confirmed to port their N9 or N900 apps to Sailfish?
I sure will. ModRana is already running on Nemo Mobile, so making it work on Sailfish should be trivial. Same thing with Mieru. Provided there is a working Camera element for QML, I can also port RePho (which kinda does the timed capture described a few posts back).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
applications, fm transmiter, infrared led, sailfish