Using N900 is probably against the Terms of Service of most cell providers in Poland, which generally forbid using their SIM cards for the traffic between the machines.

Edit: not most, but there is at least one which forbids using their
SIM cards for the machine-generated SMS messages.

Last edited by gwj; 2010-05-28 at 04:11.

The Following User Says Thank You to gwj For This Useful Post:
I installed PR 1.2 via the command line flash tool. I don't recall any dialogs asking me about this. It was only after reading this article that I checked in settings and found that it was defaulted to the on position. I tried to click it off, but found I could not, as I have explicitly blocked SMS on my account. There are many things that piss me off about this incident:

1. Many users who don't like SMS (such as myself) and do not have an SMS plan could have to pay upwards of $.45 a message both coming and going. Gee thanks, Nokia.

2. Once the data is sent, even if we unsubscribe, we have no way of verifying what Nokia is doing with the data.

3. Many phone users may be quite uncomfortable with providing Nokia or any other corporate or governmental agency with their device's phone number, as this can now be fully correlated with other data from OVI store for instance for marketing purposes or in the case of governmental agencies, to track down an individual using tower triangulation & or GPS. This move, while seemingly innocuous has potentially serious real world implications and again, it is hard to determine what those ramifications are now.

Privacy issues don't tend to bite you in the short term, they tend to creep up on you and pounce years latter when you least expect it. How many people have gotten fired because they made incautious remarks on Facebook, expecting them to be kept for friends only?

This issue is serious and should be referred to authorities.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rocketman For This Useful Post:
I do agree that this is very disappointing. I also flashed 1.2 before OTA was even an option. I got no prompt or dialogue.

After reading this thread I checked My Nokia, and the "Subscribe" was already greyed out and the "Unsubscribe" is my only option, leading me to believe I auto-subscribed to something I have no idea about.

Now, I have unlimited texting, so this isn't a major thing for me: However, my phone sending any of my information at all without clear, prior, well defined consent on my part seriously makes me go "WTF?!"

How do I know for sure all they stole was my number? Hell.. for all I know at this point Nokia is receiving full lists of all my contacts and their numbers too! Hell.. Facebook likes to share this information with the world.. Nokia could want to gather it all!

(obviously being an alarmist here.. I don't really think my phone is sending every private detail to Nokia - but the point remains: There's a certain trust when you get a phone, and now that trust is hindered. I obviously have no idea what Nokia is doing with my phone.)
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 116 | Thanked: 156 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Yorkshire
Shortly after I first started this thread, I was starting to think that it was only me that wasn't informed that I would be sending a message. I was also starting to think that it was only me that had a problem with it.

It now looks like that's not the case.

I think we (the maemo community) need to push Nokia for an official response to this.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xmob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bristol, UK
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Now, I have unlimited texting, so this isn't a major thing for me
So do I, but the registration process sent the text to one of those 'special' numbers that charge you anyway. My bill says it was 84000 (in the UK) and cost me 10p (15c) per message.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spanner For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
The sad thing is that this used to be one of the things that, from my personal POV, set Nokia apart from the others (esp. Google and Apple): trust. I trusted them. I never thought I'd have to worry about privacy issues with Nokia. Especially Maemo as an open platform... Who would create an open platform and play foul tricks? Unthinkable.

I'm personally disappointed. Why did the managers of the Maemo/MeeGo team do this? How can they blog about openness and trust and building communities and then install a trojan on my phone?

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
We need Peter, Qgil or konttori to reply back to us on this issue.. I would like to see what their point-of-view of all of this... I am very disappointed of Nokia by this..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
Nokia really needs to make an official statement regarding this issue. To me, this represents a clear breach of trust of privacy. I've for years bought unlocked Nokia GSM phones and used them with prepaid sim cards precisely because I value my privacy. I've contact several people in the press who report on privacy & security issues and pointed them at this thread.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rocketman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 73 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Austria (no kangaroos over here)
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
The sad thing is that this used to be one of the things that, from my personal POV, set Nokia apart from the others (esp. Google and Apple): trust. I trusted them.....
That's exactly my point. I trusted them. I trusted them six months ago when they promised a new flagship device which will set a new standard in mobile computing. After months of waiting the device still lacks not only in (promised) software functionality, there are also some hardware parts still not officially supportet by Nokia (radio broadcast, infrared, front camara).
I'm tired of waiting, and now knowing my device is not only calling home when I decide to (e.g. for updates), please tell me why shouldn't I choose an Android next ?

CU - M_99

Originally Posted by memoryguy View Post
I have been wondering if I could just pull out the SIM before updating, reboot a few times, and let it do its thing for a while before putting the SIM back in.

That should stop the SMS from going out, shouldn't it?

Unless, of course, it is eagerly awaiting me putting the SIM back in....
if i read and interpret correctly, that thing (package is called cherry) will come up at every start and check for the lockfile.
if none present, it will bother you.

i've both created the lockfile and commented the Xsession.d/ script and haven't seen anything of it after connecting to my provider.
according to my provider no sms was sent either.

see:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=46

a hard way would be to remove the binary and libs belonging to cherry:

dpkg -L cherry

lists all files belonging to that package. delete /usr/bin/cherry and the *.so, *a, and *.la files and remove the matching lines in
/var/lib/dpkg/info/cherry.list
to prevent issues at the next update whatsoever of the package.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to arne.anka For This Useful Post: