Poll: Should the forum be restructured to accomodate more OSes an when?
Poll Options
Should the forum be restructured to accomodate more OSes an when?

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
Sailfish OS, BlackBerry 10 OS and Ubuntu Phone OS are logical pathways for Maemo/MeeGo Harmattan users and developers (common use of Qt/Qt Quick).
Perhaps. But first it would have to be decided if Qt is the deciding factor, or if it's open source ideology. Blackberry is a nice platform, but it is very closed and not open source at all (except of course the Qt part).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Yep, I'm not so interested in BB10 since it's closed. Open WebOS or Firefox OS while being very different are fully open on the other hand. So if the forum will be dedicated to open mobile systems and devices which can run them - Qt won't be the primary decisive factor. This is a question to the community I guess.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I reckon we should keep focus on: Maemo 4/5/6x, MeR-based distros, Ubuntu, & maybe BBX (but I have my doubts there).
That should be it for starters IMO... Later we can maybe branch out to include: FFOS/Tizen/OpenWebOS etc.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Even Jolla's plugging XDA nowadays, as they already have a dedicated sub-forum. :-/
http://www.facebook.com/JollaMobile/...89237821102365
Doesn't seem to have anywhere near the following that the new Ubuntu sub-forum already has.
Overall XDA forum structure viewable from here...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/index.php

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-01-22 at 10:20.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
I hope admins will address this as soon as migration will be complete.

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
I made a similar proposal here.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Ah yes I recall that thread, as a separate issue I raised this in that thread.*
Longer-term it makes sense to go to a different domain name, or at the very least a different site name.

*it was discussed in much more depth in the "name our NFP entity" thread.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-01-23 at 08:31. Reason: typo

@ivgalvez: So you think it should be done only after the domain change? I worry that Sailfish will arrive before that, and it will contribute to the current mess on the forum. What is the problem with restructuring already now?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
I don't think they're against doing it before any domain name change, if we eventually go there.
Domain change seems to have been almost totally absent from most Councillor/BoD members minds since, forever.
If anything, forum restructure has been way further up the priority list...

Agreed though that we need to become a more well-rounded & inviting dev/testers community ASAP.
Part of that is being inclusive of platforms that are closely related ASAP, we should be looking at XDA carefully for a (rough) model on how to succeed.
Being forever Maemo 4/5/6 centric isn't a recipe for longer-term vibrancy/success, keeping the maemo.org domain long-term retains that narrow focus.
But that's not something that needs to change any time soon, more pressing is re-organizing TMO to support more than just Maemo 4-6x.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-01-23 at 09:34.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
I think re-structuring can be done once migration is all over but domain change should be held back; we are TMO and I don't see why it should be changed when welcoming new OSes just for political correctness...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post: