Notices

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Uithoorn, Netherlands
Originally Posted by alex25 View Post
I the meantime I found a solution that works for me. I use the ilbc codec for a few weeks now without choppy audio.
To archive this I made the following two changes to my n900:
1.) Install the new pulseaudio package provided by the user MohammadAG as discussed here
2.) Set the processor speed to 600MHz (fix) during sip calls (I think the stock kernel does this, however it seems not to work with the power Kernel).
To set the processor speed to 600MHz during a sip call I use a dbus script. I added the following config file to the /etc/dbus-scripts.d/ directory with the following content:
Code:
/usr/sbin/speedadaptnormal * * com.nokia.mce.signal sig_call_state_ind active *
/usr/sbin/speedadaptfix * * com.nokia.mce.signal sig_call_state_ind none *
And created the two files in /usr/sbin/.
speedadaptfix
Code:
#!/bin/bash
echo 125000 250000 500000 550000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/avoid_frequencies
kernel-config limits 600 600
speedadaptnormal
Code:
#!/bin/bash
echo > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/avoid_frequencies
kernel-config limits 125 1000
As said before this works perfect for me. No choppy audio anymore!
Alex,

Just to be clear, you have to install the dbus-scripts package for this to work.

Also, the rules in the script here are reversed... you want the fixed frequency when calling (sig_call_state_ind active) and the normal frequency otherwise (sig_call_state_ind none).

Finally, the limits of the "normal" script are different from the "stock" settings. Normally the limits are 250 to 600 MHz, not 125 to 1000 MHz. Having said that, these seem to work and make a bit of sense.

The end result is that I also seem to be able to make calls without stutter!!! THANK YOU!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Shane Kerr For This Useful Post:
Has anyone done any comparisons with PR1.3 (does the issue still exist)? I used to have issues about 10 minutes into calls with stuttering. I haven't noticed anything in PR1.3 yet, but I have only made a few short calls?

PR1.3 seems to be much better from my use, but I've also only had a couple 30 min calls.

I'm also using sip now, which seemed to be a tiny bit better on PR1.2. I haven't tried with Skype (since I canceled my outbound subscription) which was really horrible on 1.2.

I started to wonder if all my mucking around trying to (unsuccessfully) get patches and kernel limits to help had inadvertently made things worse, so I reflashed with PR1.3, so there is always the possibility that that also made a difference.

PR 1.3 works fine for me ... No need to overclock or lock the speed.
PR 1.3 , titans ulv kernel , no overclock.

actually the skype quality is terrible over wifi ...
I think n900 can not keep the wpa2 overhead while a skype call...
it works great over 3g ...

I was finally able to get adequate calls by doing the following:

1. As above with the dbus scripts

2. disable encryption

It does appear that the key problem is a CPU load problem, so I wonder if the encryption will work if I push up the call frequency to 800 instead of 600

tarek : )

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by tarek View Post
I was finally able to get adequate calls by doing the following:

1. As above with the dbus scripts

2. disable encryption

It does appear that the key problem is a CPU load problem, so I wonder if the encryption will work if I push up the call frequency to 800 instead of 600

Mind to give a little more info how you achieve it? how to disable encryption and how to do the dbus scripts, it looked intimidating. I wish there is a genie to make the fix more simple for the common mortals . TIA,

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2010-12-14 at 16:29.

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Mind to give a little more info how you achieve it? how to disable encryption and how to do the dbus scripts, it looked intimidating. I wish there is a genie to make the fix more simple for the common mortals . TIA,

bun
Sorry for not replying sooner. Encryption is disabled router-side by simply disabling wpa / wpa2. While this made the situation slightly more bearable, SIP remains erratic and for all intents and purposes unusable.

I have transitioned to using my n810 for all SIP calls, as they work flawlessly there. It's very depressing that what I consider my phone's most basic function does not work, and it appears that there is no movement on the bug. I am going to experiment with nitdroid and see if there's any hope there. As I see it, Meego is too far away to seriously consider.

As for the dbus scripts, they're above, though i made a tiny modification to make it 850mhz instead of 600.

Last edited by tarek; 2011-01-10 at 19:39.

The Following User Says Thank You to tarek For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Franken
None of the solutions provided in this thread worked for me, audio in SIP always got choppy after only a few seconds into the call and somehow every new PR made things worse. I think it might have something to do with all my routers running DD-WRT, but anyhow ...

Today I installed the bleeding-edge wl1251 wifi driver by lxp. This one really does wonders! I made two - albeit short - SIP calls and one longer Skype call and all three of them went quite smoothly. No choppiness at all. There was some lag on the SIP calls but that's most likely caused by low upstream (64 kbit/s).

I'd really urge everyone who still has troubles with SIP to give this one a shot.

The Following User Says Thank You to grinsekatze For This Useful Post:
I thought my problem was fixed with pr1.3, but I just had this problem today a few minutes into my call.

@grinsekaze I might have to give those drivers shot. Those are the drivers you have to donate for, correct?