I been running Gnome for a couple days and have no problems. I still prefer my xmodmap to the one that is built-in to Deblet because I know how to make a ESC, |, Tab, etc...
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hey I just had a thought. Steus is probably not running xmodmap at any point. The Easy Debian install put xmodmap into the icewm startup script, but if you are running Gnome, you'll have to put xmodmap into your xpgnome script or something (somewhere before running gnome-session).

The problem with xmodmap is it needs access to display :0 or :1.. so would it work before gnome-session runs.. or would you have to do it after??

Now.. when I booted into Gnome the first time with the FULL gnome (apt-get install gnome) it actually automatically found my .Xmodmap in my home and it PROMPTED me if I wanted to load that file on login...

Just an odd note..

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2008-08-22 at 20:59.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
The problem with xmodmap is it needs access to display :0 or :1.. so would it work before gnome-session runs.. or would you have to do it after??
You would have to run it after xephyr but before gnome-session. So that would mean using two commands, or maybe making a script that starts it before gnome and then running the script instead of gnome-session instead... Maybe a script like this:

Code:
xmodmap /home/user/.Xmodmap-debian
gnome-wm &
gnome-panel &
nautilus --no-default-window &
gnome-cups-icon &
gnome-volume-manager &

Now.. when I booted into Gnome the first time with the FULL gnome (apt-get install gnome) it actually automatically found my .Xmodmap in my home and it PROMPTED me if I wanted to load that file on login...
It would be nice to know what (missing) piece does that.

Just an odd note..
JFYI, I also received that prompt, but witth qole's minimal Gnome install.

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

I installed Leopard on my Tablet!!!!

Ok.. Ok... Kidding. This is for you mac lovers out there (I personally don't like MAC lol.)
Attached Images

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
OMG!!!!!!!!, How did you manage to get that mac4lin software working!?!?!?!?!? I spent days trying to get that to all work in my deblet install but had no luck. Could you share how you got that awsome desktop look working??? I really want to try that out.
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

Actually was pretty straight forward... your problem was probably getting the dock... well.. I added SimDock to my repository ..

apt-get install SimDock and you're good to go.. just download the 3 tarballs, untar the step 1 and step 3.. leave the icon tarball intact.

Then just install the theme's one by one like you are supposed to.. and fire off SimDock and modify to your convenience.

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland

I've added nit-env-gnome-basic which uses gnome-core as base package. b-man: you're marked as maintainer of this as you found the needed packages, and you're welcome to build nit-env-gnome-full packages or -more-full or something if you so like (just indicate Depends: nit-env-gnome-basic) and I'll gladly commit then.

If you people run Deblet, to get this environment you can run upgrade_deblet from a root shell, apt-get dist-upgrade, apt-get install nit-env-gnome-basic

You may have to use update-alternatives --config x-session-manager to select GNOME - and reboot for the session to start up.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
Sweet, I'll make a post for nit-env-gnome-full to see what people want by default. Also i might need a little help from fatalsaint with building the actuall package. (I'm not really good at making packages )

Also, sorry about not responding, I was having technical problems with internet yesterday .
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

Tags
debian, deblet, gnome