Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I put in an order for this exclusive futuristic spaceship and hope to see it in may. Anyone else supported ubuntu or I'm the only one here at TMO?
From what I've seen, I like the user interface but 4.5" screen is too small. Maybe if it had a hardware keyboard... I can already run ubuntu on my galaxy note 1 and 2 and plug it into a larger screen using hdmi (I also can just run it on my Note screen as well as android apps at the same time.) Plus XDA folks have done a real nice job of providing hacks so you can have a tablet interface with floating resizable windows that allow for a fairly good multitasking experience. Also, May is too far away. I will probably buy the Note 3 by January. If I was going to buy an extra device I could see going for Jolla. Anyways, I wish Canonical luck and will probably donate $20 to the cause...

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Then I see no reason to support them specifically. Jolla doesn't plan to go that way as a preferable one. They attempt to fight for drivers, and use libhybris as a fallback when they aren't available. If Canonical gives up on trying even in their own device, it's already a failure.

If Canonical wants to crowdfund something, let them crowdfund glibc drivers development. I'd contribute to that right away. Funding bionic only hardware doesn't sound exciting.
That's a fair opinion. I've not seen details about how much sway Jolla will have on drivers. Myself I see open souce Linux mobile phones a rare breed, and don't mind if getting them available requires non-optimal solutions like libhybris to get them off the ground.

But I understand others have different priorities, and I respect that even if I can't claim to understand it. There's just at the moment IMO not much possibility to be too picky. It's Android or the closed source solutions, or Jolla and Ubuntu. Requiring perfection or not supporting at these delicate steps for either of them is IMO not a good thing for advancement of Linux and open source on phones.

Last edited by ajalkane; 2013-07-23 at 21:00. Reason: Clarifications

The Following User Says Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 35 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North America
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Then I see no reason to support them specifically. Jolla doesn't plan to go that way as a preferable one. They attempt to fight for drivers, and use libhybris as a fallback when they aren't available. If Canonical gives up on trying even in their own device, it's already a failure.

If Canonical wants to crowdfund something, let them crowdfund glibc drivers development. I'd contribute to that right away. Funding bionic only hardware doesn't sound exciting.
but its not bionic-only hardware, that is the whole point of libhybris: to run a glibc kernel and userspace.

if specs were available for the mobile EGL implementations people would already be writing drivers, it's not an issue of crowdsourcing, It's an issue of showing there is demand for glibc/non-android linux mobiles

Last edited by bjv; 2013-07-23 at 21:45.

Some critical comments by a guardian.co.uk journalist about Project Ubuntu Edge:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...nding-analysis

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North America
Originally Posted by RX-51 View Post
Some critical comments by a guardian.co.uk journalist about Project Ubuntu Edge:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...nding-analysis
yeah, I dont seriously believe a 2.4GHz quadcore ARM will be able to totally replace for 4+ years the 2.8GHz dualcore Wolfdale I've used as a desktop for the last four.

amd64 simply has had some very, very effective implementations. But that's why i'm transitioning the old beater desktop to a new i5 tablet.

a custom i5 tablet doesnt have the batterypower or portability to survive for long beyond my livingroom - and that's what makes the n900 or Edge mkI different.

they're mobile desktops, not desktop replacements.
and 128gb is heckuva nice, since I wasnt looking forward to using something with less space than n900.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
Can't believe everyone is falling for this, it's almost like Dave999 has been put in charge of PR at Canonical and been given free rein to troll you all. Either that or Shuttleworth has lost it.

The only reason that Jolla and Sailfish was even possible was because they already had the vast majority of a mobile OS already built and that were able to absorb all the existing talent around the OS from Nokia. Canonical on the other hand lack the core OS and they lack people who are experienced in writing software and develop mobile devices. As for the hardware specs, they're completely laughable. Do they seriously think they will be able to approach Samsung and buy 4 gigs of RAM and tiny 128GB SSD's for anything less than a couple of hundred dollars each? Then there's the release date of May 2014. Canonical are bonkers if they think they can create a brand new mobile OS, make it dual boot with Android, have it running on sexy, cutting edge hardware in 10 month even assuming they raise the $30 million.

Do not put any money into this, you will be burned.

The Following User Says Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Uduntu sold its soul ...

as expected, ubuntu phone OS + hardware =edge is real beauty.

lets see how this project will progress in next 6 months..

ajalkane: I didn't see Canonical expressing their intent about drivers, that's why I'm not sure they continue the push. Jolla does (at least so far). I agree that libhybris is needed as a temporary step. The point is, it shouldn't stop the push. It's like saying that gaming on Linux is "OK" with Wine, so making native games doesn't need to be pushed. Wine is a great project, but shouldn't stop the advancement of the normal OpenGL gaming.

As for drivers, there is some hope that open source drivers will eventually break through. Specifically for Tegra, Adreno, Mali-400 and Intel. I really hope Intel will push this to the point of beating these dumb ARM manufacturers with their bionic only drivers into the dust.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-07-24 at 01:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
Can't believe everyone is falling for this, it's almost like Dave999 has been put in charge of PR at Canonical and been given free rein to troll you all. Either that or Shuttleworth has lost it.

The only reason that Jolla and Sailfish was even possible was because they already had the vast majority of a mobile OS already built and that were able to absorb all the existing talent around the OS from Nokia. Canonical on the other hand lack the core OS and they lack people who are experienced in writing software and develop mobile devices. As for the hardware specs, they're completely laughable. Do they seriously think they will be able to approach Samsung and buy 4 gigs of RAM and tiny 128GB SSD's for anything less than a couple of hundred dollars each? Then there's the release date of May 2014. Canonical are bonkers if they think they can create a brand new mobile OS, make it dual boot with Android, have it running on sexy, cutting edge hardware in 10 month even assuming they raise the $30 million.

Do not put any money into this, you will be burned.
You are right, I'm in charge!

Burned how?

You are always burned when buying new devices. Tizen, jolla, Ubuntu... That's the thing being early adopters. This is a one of a kind device, same as jolla but with much cooler design and better hw, end a more advanced mobile computer where the idea is to partly replace your desktop. It might be a dream, but I support the try. Why shouldn't people support it? I support most new tech, and this is really cool. Just look how many people donating to make this device happen, even if it's still very doubtfully that the coolest batmobile device ever is built.

Just look how many people who want to see this happen. It's a cool dream... With a true mobile computer.

Join the movement, it's even more unlike.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-07-24 at 05:13.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post: