Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
What I think is a bit fishy is that they are looking for people and hiring but isn't looking for investors or atleast have some inormation or phone number.

I really want to know who is pushing the money.
You look for investors bit differently than just community, if these are Ex Nokia people they already have plenty of contacts around the world

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
You look for investors bit differently than just community, if these are Ex Nokia people they already have plenty of contacts around the world
Sure i didn't mean the community. If you are starting and expanding fast you must have lots of money. Otherwise you taking it slow to be sure you can deliver something while looking for investers everywhere unless you have i t covered.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2012-07-09 at 21:10.

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Just an observation: they should really start calling it Mer. MeeGo is somebody else's trademark, is confusing to the general public due to the whole MeeGo-Harmattan fiasco and has mostly negative connotations due to the way all involved partners behaved.
No. Calling it Mer would be factual. Shouting aloud MeeGo is smart marketing. They're riding on the goodwill that N9 generated. And on the disappointment that it wasn't continued.

If they would just say they're bringing a Mer based product on the market, there would be excitement in TMO and some smallish geek circles. Now there's much larger pool of interested people.

Of course, most people who recognize MeeGo from N9 think about the innovative UI, and Jolla will have different UI. So in that kind of sense it has a chance to backfire if the UI is a disappointment.

But on the whole I think it's a smart move to shout MeeGo for the time being. The time to educate about Mer is later IMO. It's good to remember that N9 itself wasn't really MeeGo but Maemo with MeeGo compatibility. In fact, looks like Jolla is more an offspring of MeeGo than Harmattan IMO.

Wonder if they are gonna use something x86 like from aava to get something out fast?

Sure, they can't be Harmattan's offspring, since all closed parts there are owned by Nokia. So it's rather Meego proper offspring through Mer.

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Banja Luka
I'm glad that community is for this project, even i am not active member i still read what you write.

Also if i can help i will do it.

This is really good news for Free Software, and what is more important MeeGo is alive. Well it has never died. You can't kill free software project.

If "new" MeeGo could be installed on N9 that would be great.

@OffTopic
@Dave999 Why in the seven suns you thank yourself on every post?

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
This first step is is all about marketing, get the Jolla brand name out there. Meego is a name that people know about, and in general associated with the critically acclaimed N9. So the fact that those Meego division workers, who built the N9, have formed Jolla is a concept that the technoratii can understand and buy into and thus help generate a buzz around the new company.

Now I accept that in reality Harmattan is built on a maemo core and apparantly Nokia had to argue to get Meego compliance, but if you read the general tech articles about the N9, they nearly always say Meego phone. These lazy/ignorant-about-maemo-and-meego tech journalists will know very little about mer, heck go read through the irc #mer logs from the last couple of days and see how many people going there with a n900 think that mer = nemomobile so might = jollamobile, to see how confusing the whole story is for the uninitiated.

And in reality it's not even a lie to call it Meego based. The Meego code was used as the basis for the mer project, as was the Meego community ethos. They've also been clear to say that they're building their platform on the mer core.

One of the next steps will be to launch their os name and device codename, this will be the time when they lessen the emphasis on Meego, but even then they will need to keep the name in the back of people's minds to help them understand the Story.

As a contrast, the buzz around Vivaldi was fantastic, but the story didn't generate the same level of excitement in non-linux circles because the story there was KDE, not mer, not Meego. Maybe they missed a trick .

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Was this posted? (And this?)

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by gabriel9 View Post
I'm glad that community is for this project, even i am not active member i still read what you write.

Also if i can help i will do it.

This is really good news for Free Software, and what is more important MeeGo is alive. Well it has never died. You can't kill free software project.

If "new" MeeGo could be installed on N9 that would be great.

@OffTopic
@Dave999 Why in the seven suns you thank yourself on every post?
Agree with you.

Why I thank myself?

Some would say I do it because I seek attention, some say I do it for a being fun.

But the real answer is: because I can.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Sure, they can't be Harmattan's offspring, since all closed parts there are owned by Nokia. So it's rather Meego proper offspring through Mer.
I know, but I think many here are thinking they are going to get an even better n9 when really, right now, something released by Jolla would be n9 minus nokia swipe ui, minus nokia maps, etc etc etc way on down the line.

Don't get me wrong i am all for what they are trying to do, but I think skepticism is more apropos than joyousness. There is a long way to go. The only way I see them releasing something this year is on an x86 reference platform with a pretty simple UI and maybe not even gsm connectivity.

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla