ahhhhhhhhhhh I want all the features of ovi map 3.0 on n900! i know some people who are flaming over this feature but hell coming from a n95 8gb with ovi 3.0 features puts this one to shame but i love my n900 . I would appreciate more if they would improve ovi map

How do you manage to turn on your 3g all the time?

If I turn on my 3g all the time within 1/2 day the battery will be "flat".

Originally Posted by tirtawn View Post
How do you manage to turn on your 3g all the time?

If I turn on my 3g all the time within 1/2 day the battery will be "flat".
That happens to everyone

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by tirtawn View Post
How do you manage to turn on your 3g all the time?...
Why do one want to turn on 3g "all the time"? Maps are preloaded. Gps does NOT need 3g. To search for "pho" (He said he wants some pho ) takes 15 second the most, or for people dont have 3g, I would find it with wifi bookmark it before leaving the house. I am curious what do you need 3 g "all the time"

bun

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
Ok, so how do you get rid of these bookmarks?
Dont put it in then you dont have to get rid of them...........just kidding.
I dont know, I guess a good maemoer can:
xterm
dpkg -L bookmarks ?

dont worry, I have NEVER seen anybody get upset about too much POI, right?

bun

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Edmonton, AB, Canada
I've downloaded all the corresponding maps, but the Location widget will complain that it is "Unable to download maps".

Ovi Maps does not complain, so it would seem that the widget and the application use different maps. Does anybody have any other data about that?

The other thing I'm curious about is about the map format. I've read it is bitmap, but given that Ovi Maps can tell the street and the number without an Internet connection, I'd guess it comes in some kind of vector format. Discuss. ;-)

The Following User Says Thank You to pablob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Dont put it in then you dont have to get rid of them...........just kidding.
I dont know, I guess a good maemoer can:
xterm
dpkg -L bookmarks ?

dont worry, I have NEVER seen anybody get upset about too much POI, right?

bun
Kinda clutters up the map. Most GPS you can turn them on and off for the same reason. Or filter by category.

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 120 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by pablob View Post
I've downloaded all the corresponding maps, but the Location widget will complain that it is "Unable to download maps".

Ovi Maps does not complain, so it would seem that the widget and the application use different maps. Does anybody have any other data about that?
That's right. And there's a bug for it - feel free to vote if you'd like to see this fixed.

For those who'd like to be able to get a GPS lock in Ovi Maps without a network connection and without having to fiddle with the Location Widget or eCoach, you can vote for bug 5337.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mehdiE For This Useful Post:
I don't really use the phone for navigation. But nice to know it's there in a pinch.

I use the phone as a mobile computer (literally with VNC). To this end it's friggin great. (Can you hear my enthusiasim?) Really this is the best phone I've ever used.

Although I will comment that a additional battery pack or charging solution is needed if you will be away from a power outlet for a while.

To put things in prospective, there isn't a device on the market that will allow me to do what I want to do for as long as I want on a single charge. It's that simple. The iPHone 3gs would eat up just as much battery, and probably die faster, using a VNC with ssh tunnel all day.

I had an OQO 02 which was a real x86 computer running Vista Business, and got 2 hours out of a single battery on that. (granted different beast as it was a full OS) But with VNC I have access to a real computer, that can perform real computing tasks. (Compiling for x86 and x64 apps, 3d modeling, and even gaming (need to change skills in Eve)) Locally I can work on files natively in the pgykeditor and then just upload them to the vnc server computer for compiling.

I play quake 3 on it, runs wizardry 7 in dosbox, and enjoy my SNES collection anywhere. (I own the games I play)

Seriously, this phone fits my needs. My needs are pretty specific and I'd say a little above the average smart phone users needs.

That said I can see why some would find this phone below there needs. You really do (at this point) need to know what you're doing with it.

Edit: or be able to ask someone does know what their doing for help.

Edit Edit: Let me add, that I think the attention navigation is getting on the n900 is ridiculess. I don't give a flying rats hind quarters if this phone can do navigation. If you bought an N900 and your BIGGEst complaint is navigation... well you should of bought a navi and not a phone.

2d

Last edited by 2disbetter; 2010-01-22 at 10:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to 2disbetter For This Useful Post:
Navigation is not there, at all...
Thought I'd fire up Ovi maps today after downloading the latest maps with the map downloader (which doesn't work on vista or win 7 :@)

Unusable IMO. Tried a simple route from GPS position to my workplace. First of all there was no GPS lock as I expected as was inside my house. The location it started from was the other side of a river I live by, in a field (!). The route started the other side of the river to where the red dot is so if i was where it said i was I would have to swim the river.

Then it directed me onto a dual carriageway and to do an illegal u turn at the next set of lights.

And to top it all off the business park where I work is incorrectly named.

I haven't even bothered using it whilst on the road, would be if anything, dangerous.

So even if it had turn by turn, voice guidance, route alternatives, traffic info, POI's, ability to store favorite places and home, it would still be unusable. Also the satellite view virtually locks up the device its that slow. So thanks Nokia for making a useless Navigation tool free to all.

The TomTom on my N95 which is several years out of date still works flawlessly apart from a few new roads not being on it. One good reason to keep hold of it for a while yet...

The Following User Says Thank You to Morphic For This Useful Post:

Tags
gps, ovi maps, phone, poi, traveling