Notices

Originally Posted by alex25 View Post
I the meantime I found a solution that works for me. I use the ilbc codec for a few weeks now without choppy audio.
To archive this I made the following two changes to my n900:
1.) Install the new pulseaudio package provided by the user MohammadAG as discussed here
2.) Set the processor speed to 600MHz (fix) during sip calls (I think the stock kernel does this, however it seems not to work with the power Kernel).
To set the processor speed to 600MHz during a sip call I use a dbus script. I added the following config file to the /etc/dbus-scripts.d/ directory with the following content:
Code:
/usr/sbin/speedadaptnormal * * com.nokia.mce.signal sig_call_state_ind active *
/usr/sbin/speedadaptfix * * com.nokia.mce.signal sig_call_state_ind none *
And created the two files in /usr/sbin/.
speedadaptfix
Code:
#!/bin/bash
echo 125000 250000 500000 550000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/avoid_frequencies
kernel-config limits 600 600
speedadaptnormal
Code:
#!/bin/bash
echo > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/avoid_frequencies
kernel-config limits 125 1000
As said before this works perfect for me. No choppy audio anymore!
I have been trying to get this to work, but with the newest power kernel I am having some issues (it doesn't seem to be performing the dbus actions. Did something change in PR1.3?)

I removed this dbus script, and used "kernel-config show" to monitor the cpu settings. I noticed that the min. frequency is set to 600 when the call starts ringing (outgoing), but as soon as the actual call starts, the minimum frequency drops back to 125.

It seems like something is wrong here. Maemo looks like it is trying to set the cpu to 600mhz during calls, but it gets reverted back to the normal settings right when the call starts. Can someone else make a call, monitor the minimum frequency during the call, and see if they get the same issue?

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
At last someone noticed this bug! This has been driving me crazy since I use the N900.

FWIW, I'll give my experience with the problem here:
-I don't use SIP, I use google talk
-I usually use video talk, not just sound
-the other end is a N800 or N810
-I have the problem on wifi and 3G.
-the other person's voice is choppy or simply muted (I can't hear them)
-as soon as I talk, I can hear the other end... for some seconds
-at the other end, the sound is just fine
-the problem happens when I phone freehand and when I use the headset

I think that the problem is linked to the audio routines dealing with echo cancellation or is a problem when the task switches from encoding to decoding.

Originally Posted by xur17 View Post
I have been trying to get this to work, but with the newest power kernel I am having some issues (it doesn't seem to be performing the dbus actions. Did something change in PR1.3?)

I removed this dbus script, and used "kernel-config show" to monitor the cpu settings. I noticed that the min. frequency is set to 600 when the call starts ringing (outgoing), but as soon as the actual call starts, the minimum frequency drops back to 125.

It seems like something is wrong here. Maemo looks like it is trying to set the cpu to 600mhz during calls, but it gets reverted back to the normal settings right when the call starts. Can someone else make a call, monitor the minimum frequency during the call, and see if they get the same issue?
This is definitely happening, and it seems to be at least part of the issue. The phone correctly locks the frequency while the phone says calling, but as soon as the call timer starts, it resets the frequency lock to what it was.

I basically did what (except the pulseaudio part - I installed this instead since it appears to be newer), except my two scripts were "kernel-config lock 600 600" and "kernel-config unlock". It's hard to tell if it's better yet, so I will report back in a few days.

If people are interested, I can post a more complete set of instructions.

Last edited by xur17; 2011-06-08 at 21:47.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Non power booting (original N900 boot, no titan's power kernel) makes sip worked fine. Titan's kernel causes the chopiness in the sip. I have 3 boots, one regular boot, one power boot, and the 3rd one, you guess it right.

bun

Power kernel v46/v47 and regular kernel all give the same choppiness while using sip through my home asterisk server.

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Melbourne Australia
i just reflashed my phone to PR 1.1 guess what?? the sound quality in skype was perfect!!!!! i then reflashed it to PR.1.3 and the choppyness came back

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ The Netherlands
I had some choppy audio problems , but I solved it very easily. I'm running the default updated kernel without any adaptation what so ever. I guess this proves that SIP/VOIP is able to work on the N900 under Maemo 5 PR 1.3 without any tinkering on the device.
So I like to share my experience, perhaps it will help one of you guys.

As far as I experienced it, the choppy audio is a bandwidth problem, not a software/hardware problem. It is not the N900's fault

In my case my N900 connects to Skype, GTalk and two SIP servers (one public, one private), and makes calls without any problems.
The two things I did to achieve this were:
1) Allow only the use of iLBC by both private, and the public SIP server. Because this codec uses so little bandwidth it is small enough to use on mobile (3G) networks (In my case TMobile 3G network), after this the choppiness while using a mobile connection was gone.
2) Setup the quality of service (QoS) of your network to give SIP/VOIP traffic maximum priority. I gave traffic on ports used by SIP/Skype/GTalk maximum priority over everything else. In my case I did the configuration in a WRT54GL router running Tomato 1.27, it has a really neat and functional QoS menu. I encountered a couple of routers with really limited QoS functionality, which had a negative effect on the quality of the SIP/Skype/GTalk calls, replacing them with something running Tomato made a real difference.

Sometimes I have a choppy connection, but that is always a remote problem, the person calling me is behind a router with a really lousy QoS setup or is on a 2G network.

I don't use video calling a lot, but it also seems to work with these settings, I'm not sure about the 3G connection though. It all depends on the amount of bandwidth given to you by your operator. The mobile connection I use is a TMobile connection, it's quite a lean connection, but it is cheap, €2,50 p/m. I guess paying more money would give me more bandwidth, but when using the iLBC it's more than enough, I don't know how much bandwidth the video-stream requires, I'm sure it needs more bandwidth than audio only.

Last edited by CMB Rocks; 2011-06-09 at 14:14.

Originally Posted by CMB Rocks View Post
I had some choppy audio problems , but I solved it very easily. I'm running the default updated kernel without any adaptation what so ever. I guess this proves that SIP/VOIP is able to work on the N900 under Maemo 5 PR 1.3 without any tinkering on the device.
So I like to share my experience, perhaps it will help one of you guys.

As far as I experienced it, the choppy audio is a bandwidth problem, not a software/hardware problem. It is not the N900's fault

In my case my N900 connects to Skype, GTalk and two SIP servers (one public, one private), and makes calls without any problems.
The two things I did to achieve this were:
1) Allow only the use of iLBC by both private, and the public SIP server. Because this codec uses so little bandwidth it is small enough to use on mobile (3G) networks (In my case TMobile 3G network), after this the choppiness while using a mobile connection was gone.
2) Setup the quality of service (QoS) of your network to give SIP/VOIP traffic maximum priority. I gave traffic on ports used by SIP/Skype/GTalk maximum priority over everything else. In my case I did the configuration in a WRT54GL router running Tomato 1.27, it has a really neat and functional QoS menu. I encountered a couple of routers with really limited QoS functionality, which had a negative effect on the quality of the SIP/Skype/GTalk calls, replacing them with something running Tomato made a real difference.

Sometimes I have a choppy connection, but that is always a remote problem, the person calling me is behind a router with a really lousy QoS setup or is on a 2G network.

I don't use video calling a lot, but it also seems to work with these settings, I'm not sure about the 3G connection though. It all depends on the amount of bandwidth given to you by your operator. The mobile connection I use is a TMobile connection, it's quite a lean connection, but it is cheap, €2,50 p/m. I guess paying more money would give me more bandwidth, but when using the iLBC it's more than enough, I don't know how much bandwidth the video-stream requires, I'm sure it needs more bandwidth than audio only.
I dont think its a remote/bandwidth problem.

I installed asterisk on my N900 and connected with the SIP. Guess what, i was getting choppy sound when i play a recording through asterisk which is installed on N900 and no connection with internet.

It is definitely audio processing unit/codec stuff.

Last edited by rosh; 2011-06-09 at 14:52.

The Following User Says Thank You to rosh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 79 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Melbourne Australia
tested my phone on speedtest.net and pingtest.net with perfect results so its definitely not a bandwidth problem

Originally Posted by xur17 View Post
It's hard to tell if it's better yet, so I will report back in a few days.

If people are interested, I can post a more complete set of instructions.
Any improvements?