Active Topics

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Sep 2013 @ Serbia
ajalkane I have a question, a dilemma...
I made a rule that if I use mobile net connection Profilmatic change Mobile network mode from 2G to 3G and restore after... "3G when mobile net connection" But the rule is not working... What did I do wrong ...?
Conditions: Internet connection mode: When using internet over mobile connetion
Action: Select mobile network connection mode: Set network mode to 3G

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by vds View Post
ajalkane I have a question, a dilemma...
I made a rule that if I use mobile net connection Profilmatic change Mobile network mode from 2G to 3G and restore after... "3G when mobile net connection" But the rule is not working... What did I do wrong ...?
Conditions: Internet connection mode: When using internet over mobile connetion
Action: Select mobile network connection mode: Set network mode to 3G
Not sure what you want to do... but can you tell in more detail how does it not work? Does it not change to 3G? Or does it not change back to 2G?

Do you have in settings (Internet connection) "Allow background connections" off?

Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
Do you have in settings (Internet connection) "Allow background connections" off?
Yes background connections are off...
To save battery power, I use a GSM Network mode. But when I connect to the internet I'd like profilmatic change GSM to 3G connection.
So I'm in GSM mode... and I go to web or email or facebook over GSM network... But profilmatic does nothing... Do I need another extra rule for it? Like time interval?

Last edited by vds; 2013-12-02 at 18:32.

Yes background connections are off...
To save battery power, I use a GSM Network mode. But when I connect to the internet I'd like profilmatic change GSM to 3G connection.
So I'm in GSM mode... and I go to web or email or facebook over GSM network... But profilmatic does nothing... Do I need another extra rule for it? Like time interval?
No, your rule should be fine as it is.

I did a quick test and it worked (not exactly like your situation though). But I will try tomorrow with exactly the kind of setup you have to see if I can reproduce the problem.

Meanwhile you could check that when you get connected to internet, does ProfileMatic show a blue vertical bar next to your rule? If it shows the blue bar, it means ProfileMatic has detected there's internet connection and it should then activate your actions.

No... No blue bar, ProfileMatic does not detect there is mobile net connection... Other rules work just fine... Also, I notice that my N9 does not automatic switch to known WiFi... power saver mode is Off... change_while_connected - true but no autoswitch...
So I don't have idea...

No... No blue bar, ProfileMatic does not detect there is mobile net connection... Other rules work just fine... Also, I notice that my N9 does not automatic switch to known WiFi... power saver mode is Off... change_while_connected - true but no autoswitch...
So I don't have idea...
Bad news. After testing it I can confirm your problem..

The problem seems to be in the N9 platform. If you have "Allow background connections on" and "Power saving off" then everything works as expected - the changes in internet connection status are detected.

But if you have either "Allow background connections off" or "Power saving on", then N9 does not report the changes in internet connection to ProfileMatic.

So unfortunately, while this is a true bug, I can not fix it. The best I can do is to add "Known issues" to the first page.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
Bad news. After testing it I can confirm your problem..

The problem seems to be in the N9 platform. If you have "Allow background connections on" and "Power saving off" then everything works as expected - the changes in internet connection status are detected.

But if you have either "Allow background connections off" or "Power saving on", then N9 does not report the changes in internet connection to ProfileMatic.

So unfortunately, while this is a true bug, I can not fix it. The best I can do is to add "Known issues" to the first page.
On the one hand, it is good to know that it is not up to me...

On the other hand, to save battery (and my battery hardly withstand 8-9 hours), my background connection is always off (I even use script in profilmatic to turn wifi off if no app from my list need internet connection)...
So if I turn ON background connection, and use this rule in profilmatic... It will change GSM to 3G when I'm not in known wifi area..? Or it will change only if I use mobile network for internet connection?

Thank you for testing and reply.

Last edited by vds; 2013-12-03 at 23:22.

I tested, if I turn ON background connection, and use this rule in profilmatic... It will change GSM to 3G when I'm not in known wifi area. It does not matter if I use interent connection or not.

Any chance to add "duration" and "speed rate" of a data connection ?
This way I could create a rule to enable 3G when I am surfing the web or downloading attachment, while stick to 2G the rest of the time...

Originally Posted by KTy View Post
Any chance to add "duration" and "speed rate" of a data connection ?
This way I could create a rule to enable 3G when I am surfing the web or downloading attachment, while stick to 2G the rest of the time...
For speed rate I'm not sure but maybe you could make a script that would recognize background process and then activate the 3G-GSM change. Then you can use it as custom action in profilmatic... and use "mobile net connection" and time interval as condition for that action (I prefer to use "Idle status" instead of "time interval" because periodical scan is wasting of energy and I don't need change of status when I'm in idle... so I usualy put script to be execute on Idle status change).

Only condition for this to work is to have "Allow background connections" On and "PSM" Off... so profilmatic can detect you use GSM network to connect on Net and not wifi.

Last edited by vds; 2013-12-04 at 14:37.