Using the tag ID is an nice approach and avoids issues with tag formatting and reading.

It's not likely that the tag will be in range and active all the time. They only work at a very short range and are only supposed to be active for a short time - I once accidentally left the phone on top of a tag and it nearly drained the battery in a matter of hours!

It's more realistic to expect that the tag ID will be read, matched and then the signal will be lost. Toggling actions is a very good fit to the expected use of such tags (as per the Sony smart tags) simply because of the way they work...

I got my tags from EBay as I only wanted a few. A good website is www.nfcdog.com and it seems as though my tags came from their EBay shopfront (nfc-supplies). Mine are the MIFARE Classic 1K tags as I wanted a larger capacity to play with. If you're only using the tag IDs then the smallest and cheapest tags you can find will do just fine..

The Following User Says Thank You to WhitP For This Useful Post:
Posts: 89 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Macon, GA | Warsaw, PL | Hanoi, VN
Here is the issue that I have:

I have created a rule to save energy at night like this:
  • Active every day from 12am to 8am
  • Ringing 60%
  • Power saving mode on with restore previous mode
  • Bluetooth off with restore previous mode
  • Mobile network set to GSM with restore previous mode
  • Background connections disabled with restore previous mode
Whenever the rule is active the phone does not ring or even vibrate when a text message is received. I have no clue what is causing the ringing to be completely turned off. When I set the power saving mode on manually via settings, the phone rings like it's supposed to.

Could you check what is wrong?

Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
I know... the length of it sickens me. I have many UI related things I'd like to improve. But as I have very limited time to work on this project, I've had to choose between implementing new functionality and doing the UI plumbing work. So I've delayed the UI work.

But I have thought about that reorganization. I have two ideas how to solve it currently (and I am interested what solution people would prefer).

1) Reorganize the actions into groups like you showed.

2) Keep the flat list, but initially hide all other actions except 2-4 that I deem as most commonly used. Instead there would be "Add more" button or something like that, where you could select more actions to set-up. Once an action that was initially hidden is defined, it will become visible on the main edit page. One option would be also to not have any initially visible actions, but only button "Add action". Another, later option could be to have a settings page where user could himself define what he considers his "favorite" actions that are shown initially.

I'm currently liking the solution number 2 more, but it's a bit of a work.
Yes, I like your idea too

I guess I can help you to change the UI. I have no idea of QT but I guess with the sources and the QT IDE I can help you to improve it as suggested.

If you like, tell me. In case you would it might be that I need your help, but I guess everything is self-explaining (QT as well as your sources).

The Following User Says Thank You to JLo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by WhitP View Post
It's not likely that the tag will be in range and active all the time. They only work at a very short range and are only supposed to be active for a short time - I once accidentally left the phone on top of a tag and it nearly drained the battery in a matter of hours!

It's more realistic to expect that the tag ID will be read, matched and then the signal will be lost. Toggling actions is a very good fit to the expected use of such tags (as per the Sony smart tags) simply because of the way they work...
Yes... I was mainly thinking of a use case of something like... hmm a simple example:

08-22 Profile ringing
22-08 Profile silent
Turn on BlueTooth when NFC tag matches
Turn off BlueTooth when another NFC tag matches

In that kind of case the condition does not need to be toggleable, as there is no other rule to change BlueTooth when the tag goes out of range.

But perhaps the toggle feature is what I'll aim at first, and will see with user testing if more is needed.

I got my tags from EBay as I only wanted a few. A good website is www.nfcdog.com and it seems as though my tags came from their EBay shopfront (nfc-supplies). Mine are the MIFARE Classic 1K tags as I wanted a larger capacity to play with. If you're only using the tag IDs then the smallest and cheapest tags you can find will do just fine..
Thanks, I'll take a look.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dinho View Post
Here is the issue that I have:

I have created a rule to save energy at night like this:
  • Active every day from 12am to 8am
  • Ringing 60%
  • Power saving mode on with restore previous mode
  • Bluetooth off with restore previous mode
  • Mobile network set to GSM with restore previous mode
  • Background connections disabled with restore previous mode
Whenever the rule is active the phone does not ring or even vibrate when a text message is received. I have no clue what is causing the ringing to be completely turned off. When I set the power saving mode on manually via settings, the phone rings like it's supposed to.

Could you check what is wrong?
I couldn't reproduce your problem. I guess you are using one of the 1.6.0 beta versions?

I have only 1.5.0 version now with me, but I put the rule as closely as you outlined there, and tested by calling myself. I experienced no problems, the phone rang as it was supposed to.

Did you check from the device, that is it really in ringing mode or is it showing to be in silent mode? Also do you have some other rules that could put it to silent mode?

The Following User Says Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JLo View Post
Yes, I like your idea too

I guess I can help you to change the UI. I have no idea of QT but I guess with the sources and the QT IDE I can help you to improve it as suggested.

If you like, tell me. In case you would it might be that I need your help, but I guess everything is self-explaining (QT as well as your sources).
Help's always appreciated, but if you haven't done Qt/QML coding the road might be a bit rocky one especially if implementing the number 2). It requires changes to C++ and QML. And probably creating one of those pesky AbstractListModels for handling what actions are visible.

Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
Yes... I was mainly thinking of a use case of something like... hmm a simple example:

08-22 Profile ringing
22-08 Profile silent
Turn on BlueTooth when NFC tag matches
Turn off BlueTooth when another NFC tag matches

In that kind of case the condition does not need to be toggleable, as there is no other rule to change BlueTooth when the tag goes out of range.

But perhaps the toggle feature is what I'll aim at first, and will see with user testing if more is needed.

Thanks, I'll take a look.
That's exactly how I'd expect it to work

Is there any way to make use of the BT Toggle code - even if it's just from a command line? I was looking at doing this kind of thing with customized tag codes but the documentation of the NFC implementation weren't a huge help in that simple regard as they are geared towards writing an NFC-enabled app.

The Following User Says Thank You to WhitP For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by WhitP View Post
Is there any way to make use of the BT Toggle code - even if it's just from a command line? I was looking at doing this kind of thing with customized tag codes but the documentation of the NFC implementation weren't a huge help in that simple regard as they are geared towards writing an NFC-enabled app.
I don't think BT Toggle code is any help here. I think it's functionality is pretty much what ProfileMatic's BlueTooth action does. NFC condition to match tags and then execute some actions is what's needed to do this.

Originally Posted by Jare View Post
Ok, I'll report back in a week or so.
I haven't had connection issues after installing the latest version, so I would say the availability issue with gtalk and skype is fixed now.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jare For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jare View Post
I haven't had connection issues after installing the latest version, so I would say the availability issue with gtalk and skype is fixed now.
Thanks, that's good news.