Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
In that case, what is the channel to be used by a person who notices this kind of abuse? Is leaving a comment at maemo.org > packages > Fremantle Extras-testing free armel enough. There seems to be comment threads there with no activity within the last few months.

It seems like OP joined here relatively recently, as have I. At least my initial response would have been similar: I would have posted about it on this forum. maemo.wiki's front page or FAQ doesn't have answer on how to handle situation like this. Quickly searching the maemo.org site doesn't reveal any help on how to deal situation like this.

It's one thin to say this should be approached silently, and other thing to clearly provide information to end users how the silent approach should be handled.
This is part of what I'm advocating.. see what I said here.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
But how long will we wait for the resolution? If a program is found that bricks devices, an announcement should be made immediately (and probably stickied), with a resolution added later.

I'm not as concerned with the resolution as I am passing along pertinent information in a timely manner.
I dunno what to say about timelines.

But notification that process has been started by a regulatory body along with status reports of progress and resolutions should be the main, minimum concern in any form of jurisprudence.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
It's one thing to say this should be approached silently, and other thing to clearly provide information to end users how the silent approach should be handled.
I have only approached this topic at a high level, not detailed.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Please forget what he did for a moment and concentrate how he did it.

Multiple log-ins.

This can be checked against IP and email addy at registration automagicly... and should be... but apparently it is not.

If not, anything that is decided by one member, one vote on maemo.org could be affected.

How many votes decided the membership of the Community Council?
How hard would it be for bogus member #1 to thank bogus member #2 in order to build karma.. and so on?
Now that this is out in the open, I can say that this is what prompted my objection to reporting vote tallies while the polls were open in the last election. When given a goal to achieve, some people will find inspiration.

This is what has always motivated me to question why the hell single sign-on across maemo.org sites has not been initiated. It would make cross checking a whole lot easier.

What this fellow did, and how he did it, did not require an advanced degree in rocket science. Preventing, or at least reducing the possibility of multiple log-ins doesn't either.

Who can make it happen?

What can, and is being done about that?

SLN member # 009

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
*sigh*

- approach silently
- announce process start publicly
- announce resolution publicly
- put away torches and pitchforks and move on
That could work.

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Who can make it happen?

What can, and is being done about that?
Well.. there has been *some* mitigation done:

X-Fade's Post

It requires Karma now, and shows a registered since.

Don't know if they fixed the duplicate emails or ip check though.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
You know, all of this could have been avoided if the requirement for a few votes from a tester's group was implemented

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
So, lets try a few concrete(ish) policy proposals:
  • One maemo.org account, one person. No account to be used by multiple people, no person to have access to multiple accounts.
  • Suspected breaches of policy or abuse of resources to be referred to a body (the Council?) for investigation/decision,
  • After an investigation that body will make a public report of the facts, and any action taken in response.

Does that sound like a reasonable starting point?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ewan For This Useful Post:
Since MeeGo supports working groups, I would replace council with Tester Working Group. But yeah, that.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
I'm using the term wrong but mutiple accounts for one user is what I mean.

It happens all of the time. Some members will make multiple accounts to back their own opinion or get an extra vote in a poll. Here's a modification that will detect and prevent multiple accounts, as well as notify the administration about multiple accounts. Inspiration for this modification came from the work of MPDev (creator of the Multiple Account Login Detector) and randominity (creator of the Multiple Account Registration Prevention). This is basically a combination of those two modifications but with new and improved functionality.

>> http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=199077

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-02-20 at 00:24.