Posts: 306 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Romania
strange year. i can't beleive we start RIP topics. not happy. not on develpoer's forums. even competition don't deserve this.
chances to have a proper smartphone diminishes.
nokia go down , apple don't be the same. apple begining and history fascinating me.
bye steve. see you soon.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blue_led For This Useful Post:
Hypocrites! I`ve seen enough dancing on our graves, lets return a favor.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darkslayer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by electrolind View Post
He was a real prick to work for.

I will miss him

Requiscent In Pace Amicus
I actually worked with several people who used to work at Apple's Cupertino headquarters--at least one worked as a manager under him, not just an engineer. And yeah--he was awful to work for... very awful. They quit, after all. But, in the end, that's how he gets people to squeeze out their best. A lot of them recognized that, too, despite STILL leaving unhappy. There's a bit of yin and yang to working for him.

All that said, why are people overly crediting Steve Jobs as an inventor or a visionary? He didn't do anything inventive or visionary. I just heard CNN radio claim that the mouse was a Steve Jobs concept. Excuse me? Douglas Engelbart invented the mouse in 1963. Please, people, he was a business and marketing genius--but he's not a visionary. :P Just the same, he was a VERY successful businessman and deserves as much credit. He was GREAT for competition and a GENERALLY respectful adversary in business. He did, at least, give computing a the kind of public image it needed--simple, clean and functional. An uncomplicated image.

R.I.P.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
I feel bad for the foxconn workers.

The Following User Says Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
I feel bad for the foxconn workers.
Why? Were they effected?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
I'll always respect this guy.

He did something that SGI, SUN, and Linux never got close to doing...

He brought UNIX to the masses.

Even your Grandma can use UNIX now! Not a bad Epitaph.

Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
I'll always respect this guy.

He did something that SGI, SUN, and Linux never got close to doing...

He brought UNIX to the masses.

Even your Grandma can use UNIX now! Not a bad Epitaph.
Except they're not USING the POSIX layer (otherwise, you could equally argue that Android brought Linux to the masses), and MacOS X isn't UNIX, it's Unix based (derived from Mach, which itself it a mix of pieces of NetBSD and FreeBSD, which themselves were derived from UNIX). MacOS is certified as UNIX 03 but it's not based on any true UNIX SVRx code.

What he brought to the masses was a GUI sitting on top of a Unix-derived OS. Your grandma is highly unlikely to actually directly use the UNIX-like portions directly. Good try at trying to compliment Jobs, though, but let's keep things accurate and straight despite any fondness for him so close to his passing away.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
GODbless your Soul... ~ ~
r.i.p.

Posts: 176 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Italy
RIP Steve.

Posts: 855 | Thanked: 612 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Germany
Покойся с миром Стив. Rest in peace, Steve

Tags
r.i.p., steve jobs