Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by n900user259 View Post
In this case Pichlo draws a comparison between Jolla and Nintendo. What Jolla offered to TOHKBD2 supporters. It has nothing to do with the TOHKBD2 Kickstarter and the wonderful actions/possibilities dirkvl offered his supporters.
Actually, it wasn't me who brought it up (I didn't even know about it, not having one). I drew a parallel between that and the First One campaign which IMO was handled quite well. At least to start with; the fact that you could buy the phone in the shop or online before some of the First Ones received theirs was a bit of a debacle.

I brought up the TOHKBD example for contrast: look, the same company that could handle one campaign quite well managed to screw up another one so spectacularly. I admit you may have had to read a bit between the lines to get that

In all fairness, TOHKBD was a third-party project, not theirs. Supporting it was their goodwill gesture. What a shame about the circumstances:

Week 1: "Hey everybody, you can ALL buy a Jolla at discounted price."
Week 2: "YOU are my dearest friend, here is a special offer JUST FOR YOU!"
Week 3: "Hey everybody, you can ALL buy a Jolla at a new low price!"

I do not feel wronged by that. If anybody should feel wronged, it's Dirk. This mishap is like a slap in his face. Luckily he does not seem bothered.

I do not feel wronged. I just feel puzzled.

Howgh!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 155 | Thanked: 309 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
In all fairness, TOHKBD was a third-party project, not theirs. Supporting it was their goodwill gesture. What a shame about the circumstances:

I do not feel wronged by that. If anybody should feel wronged, it's Dirk. This mishap is like a slap in his face. Luckily he does not seem bothered.

I do not feel wronged. I just feel puzzled.

Howgh!
Nah, i don't think Dirk should feel wronged. The discount was a perfect insentive to get people not owning a Jolla onboard of his project. It might be that some of them feel wronged but only God would know why.

Also I can find good reason in not lowering the price two weeks before christmas.
Jolla just didn't realise that a lot of the people ordering TOHKBD2 already had a Jolla and were in on the discount actions prior to the TOHKBD2 one.
Thus Jolla created the mindf**k /circumstances you described.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to n900user259 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
If anybody should feel wronged, it's Dirk. This mishap is like a slap in his face. Luckily he does not seem bothered.
Why on earth would he feel wronged? Jolla offered his customers a generous incentive and he did well out of it. His customers got €100 off their phone too. Double win.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
OMG !!! Do you know something named time ???

Buying something for EUR249 two weeks before Christmas (from December 12th) with discount and after Christmas (December 27th) without discount is a lot different, because time is a key factor for the lives of human and other species, as well as for any physical system.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2015-01-06 at 23:52.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 725 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Permanent cruiser - either water- or motorways
Hey folks, I really can't see any special behavior from the Jolla company - it's quite usual to lower the price before Xmas with some shiny campaign "hey special price, just for ... weeks, buy now or ..." and after a few weeks the price drops anyway - mostly lower than the special price before ;-)

People, what are you complaining about - Jolla Phone was 399,- at its start - now it's only 249,- ! - does it really matter if you get a personal invitation to get that special price (well if you got, lucky you - you were able to buy the Jolla a few weeks earlier for less money) or are you just pissed off, as now everyone is as special as you - come on, you are special, you got it earlier and you got a personal invitation or you were clever to buy in a promotion period before it was the normal price ... cool enough I would say ...

So let us be a bit more practical in the end: lower price => more customers => greater user-base => maybe: more native apps, more devs, more .... - got the point? - In another thread the same people are discussing, that a Chinese company can offer a device with similar hardware much cheaper .... so?!

Ah and one thing more (sounds kind of familiar ...) - Jolla must sell devices - obviously there where to less customers so the only way is to lower the price - the hardware won't become more state of the art by staying in stock - in he end of 2015 no one will buy a two year old device - so if you would keep the price high tell your buddies to buy one (and one for their girlfriends ;-) and one for ... ) - be aware we are all early-adopters and that is still a hard business - did any of you (like me) bought a WeTab or a HPTouchPad (f**** I had a Palm ever since the Palm III) - this is always a thing about burning some money if things turning wrong (TouchPad had a price cut of 300,- - no refunds for customers bought a day before ...)

But dear readers, we are the people who are changing things by supporting new ideas - and spending some money in this - so be aware that we are building futures ... at least sometimes ;-)

sweet dreams now ...

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to elastic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
I love this

I have an idea:
All e-mails from Jolla start with
Hi <my name>,
So the next time I get an e-mail from them (be it coupons or not), I will start a thread on TMO, with the following content:

Oh my, I just found out that others also received the same email!! I thought it was JUST FOR ME! I felt special and now I feel betrayed! This is not how they should treat their loyal customers. I thought they cared about me, only me, but they were just messing with my head!

PS: This is not really a reaction to pichlo (I agree with some things you're saying, while disagree with other), but it pretty much summarizes this whole thread for me. So please, allow me some sarcasm No offense.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
OMG !!! Do you know something named time ???
Yes, I do. Do you know something named context?

Jolla benevolently gave out the coupons after EVERYBODY who might possibly have wanted to buy one had already done it, thanks to two previious coupon campaigns and the Slush discount. The former may seem exclusive but, thanks to the "invite a friend" clause and this very thread, it was basically for everyone. The latter was shouted publicly to the whole world on their own website and as such was meant to be for everyone.

And right after that, when EVERYONE had already bought a Jolla at a discount price, they come to you and tell you, "We value you, you are such a great guy, we have not forgotten about you, here, have a discount coupon." Now THAT is what I call laughing at you in your face.

How about a show of hands? Who bought a new Jola using the TOHKBD discount? That should teach me how wrong I am.

Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Why on earth would he feel wronged?
I know I would if someone treated their customers the way they did in my name.

Jolla offered his customers a generous incentive and he did well out of it.
I cannot argue with that. Some small percentage of TOHKBD orders did probably come from this promise. I just doubt the way Jolla delivered on that promise was really as useful as you are trying to present.

We can discuss this forever and I don't see anyone easily persuaded (with the exception of me under the weight of the above show of hands - just 5 would be enough for me to publicly admit that I was wrong), so we will just have to agree to disagree.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
But that code was aimed at people who saw the Kickstarter and hadn't already bought a Jolla (or seen the codes). Just like the IG tablet + phone bundle.

It might be useless to the rest of us, but hey, we get a nice keyboard too!

I'm interested to know how many of the people who feel slighted actually bought a Jolla recently, and how recently they bought it.

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Jolla benevolently gave out the coupons after EVERYBODY who might possibly have wanted to buy one had already done it, thanks to two previious coupon campaigns and the Slush discount..
Wrong ! Not everybody ! You are creating facts to justify your flawed argument.

And right after that, when EVERYONE had already bought a Jolla at a discount price, they come to you and tell you, "We value you, you are such a great guy, we have not forgotten about you, here, have a discount coupon." Now THAT is what I call laughing at you in your face.
Not everyone. You don't know the number of Jolla buyers between December 12th and 24th using the promotion code from more than 1.2 thousand TOHBKD v2 buyers. You are assuming it to be zero without any evidence.

For example, in Twitter I've seen Jolla fans buying Jolla smartphones (3 to 4 devices) for all the family with the discount codes given since October.

Besides this unkown number of buyers, between December 12th and 24th the unique valid discount code available to buy Jolla smartphone for EUR249 was from TOHKBD v2 Kickstarter project. Such uniqueness had a value.

How about a show of hands? Who bought a new Jola using the TOHKBD discount? That should teach me how wrong I am.
You are asking in TMO, in a topic about discount codes, available since midi October, so here the majority bought Jolla before December.

I know I would if someone treated their customers the way they did in my name.
???

We can discuss this forever and I don't see anyone easily persuaded (with the exception of me under the weight of the above show of hands - just 5 would be enough for me to publicly admit that I was wrong), so we will just have to agree to disagree.
And I will post here everytime I want if I read nonsense arguments.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following User Says Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 155 | Thanked: 309 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ The Netherlands
Well, apparantly it's pretty difficult to hold a good nice discussion about how a company handles things. It's getting pretty hot in here

Originally Posted by elastic View Post
Hey folks, I really can't see any special behavior from the Jolla company - it's quite usual to lower the price before Xmas with some shiny campaign "hey special price, just for ... weeks, buy now or ..." and after a few weeks the price drops anyway - mostly lower than the special price before ;-)

People, what are you complaining about - Jolla Phone was 399,- at its start - now it's only 249,- ! - does it really matter if you get a personal invitation to get that special price (well if you got, lucky you - you were able to buy the Jolla a few weeks earlier for less money) or are you just pissed off, as now everyone is as special as you - come on, you are special, you got it earlier and you got a personal invitation or you were clever to buy in a promotion period before it was the normal price ... cool enough I would say ...
Again, who's complaining about the discounts or the price drop? No one. We were discussing the way Jolla handled it.
For some reason we can't agree to disagree.

And I will post here everytime I want if I read nonsense arguments.
Can't you just agree to disagree? If I wanted to react to every nonsense nonrelated argument you dish out I'll be here forever.

E.g.
Not everyone. You don't know the number of Jolla buyers between December 12th and 24th using the promotion code from more than 1.2 thousand TOHBKD v2 buyers. You are assuming it to be zero without any evidence.
No argument here. But I also think it's not that many.

For example, in Twitter I've seen Jolla fans buying Jolla smartphones (3 to 4 devices) for all the family with the discount codes given since October.
How is this argument relevant to the previous statement?

The Following User Says Thank You to n900user259 For This Useful Post: