When you jailbreak the iPhone you pretty much give yourself r00t access and the ability to run unlicensed code.

You can theoretically play with the kernel, drivers and bootloader but that's hardly targetted.

The normal iPhone can't use the BlueTooth for many functions and devices, its basically like having no bluetooth. A jailbroken iPhone lets you have full control over its BlueTooth module, in fact pretty much everything... it becomes N900-like.

I don't have a jailbroken iDevice, but I'm basing this off from internet research and a co-worker who has an iPhone 4 jailbroken (and refuses to update). We sometimes do "competitions" with my N900... but lately I've been getting the more praises with my "hacked" Note.

About the hwkbd issue... I think if you auto-paired the accessory to the iPhone, then ran a script that would turn the BT on when you slid the keyboard open (gyro sensor, nfc/magnetometre, camera sensor). And actuated to turn the BT off with a shortcut on the keyboard (like Fn+Enter). Then problem solved. The accessory will last a long time without charge, but the iPhone battery life is the real issue here. Doing some solution like that ensures the BT can quickly turn on and pair then be easily turned off... limiting the footprint of its power drain.

I mean if Apple sells an iPhone with a 4in screen, a slide out qwerty, microUSB port... most complaints in this comparison would've been attenuated. A jailbroken "iPhone PRO" could really give the N900 a fight for its title.

...but why are we discussing jailbroken iPhones anyway? Wouldn't it make more sense to get an Android device that can be hacked and give you some of those functions.... Hell they even have dualboot native Ubuntu options for a few!

I'm flattered

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Thank you for thinking about minimising power drain of Bluetooth keyboard for iPhone. However, I expect that a factory could make it more sturdy and less bulky than a DIY awkward concept. I suppose that Apple should produce a version of iPhone with keyboard, and Nokia should have produced a version of N900 without keyboard. It would have been a nuisance, though, to modify operating system accordingly to work smoothly on the device. But experience of making two-or-three versions of operating system for different keyboard configurations would make it easier for future versions of operating system. Unfortunately, Nokia jumps quickly between different operating systems. But the teams which developed N9 and N950 might further the experience by continuing the tradition of releasing keyboardless and slider phones side-by-side.
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
When you jailbreak the iPhone you pretty much give yourself r00t access and the ability to run unlicensed code.
A jailbroken iPhone lets you have full control over its BlueTooth module, in fact pretty much everything... it becomes N900-like.
I don't have a jailbroken iDevice, but I'm basing this off from internet research and a co-worker who has an iPhone 4 jailbroken (and refuses to update). We sometimes do "competitions" with my N900... but lately I've been getting the more praises with my "hacked" Note.
I mean if Apple sells an iPhone with a 4in screen, a slide out qwerty, microUSB port... most complaints in this comparison would've been attenuated. A jailbroken "iPhone PRO" could really give the N900 a fight for its title.
Jailbreaking/hacking an operating system is not an activity I enjoy. It means that:
1. developers of the system spent their time hiding the system from the user, so that he would not be able to see the whole filesystem, or to change the configuration of the system (Bluetooth profiles is just one small example);
2. users spent their time devising a way to go around the locks, and configure the system to their tastes;
3. the finished product is awkward to use, fragile and patchy, underneath its shining exterior.
Let's take an example from non-computerised world.
1. Automobile which has been designed once, without thinking about possible successors; which can be serviced by its user; which can be taken apart and put together, modified; As all Model T Ford parts are standardized, even the novice owner can identify parts and make most repairs. This made the Model T Ford one of the most popular, affordable and enduring cars. From its introduction in 1908 until the final car was made in 1927, the T were one of the simplest, recognizable and enduring cars on the road. Today, they still are.
2. Automobile which is one of many within its series; which can be serviced only by authorised professionals; which has been designed as tamper-proof and modification-resistant.
...but why are we discussing jailbroken iPhones anyway? Wouldn't it make more sense to get an Android device that can be hacked and give you some of those functions.... Hell they even have dualboot native Ubuntu options for a few!
Android... I dislike it. It's difficult to pinpoint one specific reason. Its touch interface just doesn't feel comfortable. Its camera is autofocusing every second, and there is no setting to turn it off. It has too many different versions coming out. CyanogenMod, while improving Android, increases fragmentation of the market.
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
Still this piece of misinformation!?
Please don't base your opinion on Android on cheap chinese tablets. Have you tried using the camera on a premium device?
Touch to focus, continuous autofocus, or pretty much any way of focusing you like can be used.
Did you people hear about the Galaxy Camera? Isn't that a great example of how open the platform is? And Maemo still only runs on one device (officially).
It's not a tablet. It's an Android phone, and hopefully, not a fake. Would you care to share where exactly can I find the setting to change the way autofocus works? "Touch to focus" sounds better that the "continuous autofocus" I have experienced.
No, I haven't heard about the Galaxy Camera. But what will you say years later, when it will run only Android 4.1, and there will be the newest Android 7 released? And the latest version of Android will allow, for instance, 3D photographs, or some other novelty?

Dualboot... There is multiboot on N900, and it is possible to boot many different operating systems on it. Though I personally haven't tried it.
Best wishes.

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2012-10-26 at 02:12.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 138 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Switzerland/Zurich
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Are you kidding? If I had a tuppence for every time I fished I had such a feature in my digital camera...! Nothing fancy - after all, I am not going to author DVDs on my phone. No, that would be silly.

But consider just a couiple common use cases:
  • You've made a longer clip so as not to miss some action and want to cut a lead/tail/middle off;
  • You've made two short clips and want to stitch them together...
Well, I guess it just means that we're using our devices differently I think that we you need to do those things you mentioned, you can do that much better and easier on your desktop, even if they're tiny edits. I mean, even videos for youtube would look better edited with something like Sony Vegas rather than an iPhone app... Unless, you have to edit so you can upload to youtube from iphone directly I guess, as it is urgent. I just never needed that and don't see why anybody would, but maybe the world is moving on and I'm staying behind?

EDIT: and I just made this comment, to balance the fact that I think compiling kernels on the go, or sth like that, that n900 is capable of, is useless from my point of view, so not to bash only one side of this quarell

Last edited by don.edri; 2012-10-25 at 14:37.

The Following User Says Thank You to don.edri For This Useful Post:
Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Android... Its camera is autofocusing every second, and there is no setting to turn it off.
Still this piece of misinformation!?

Please don't base your opinion on Android on cheap chinese tablets. Have you tried using the camera on a premium device?
Touch to focus, continuous autofocus, or pretty much any way of focusing you like can be used.
Did you people hear about the Galaxy Camera? Isn't that a great example of how open the platform is? And Maemo still only runs on one device (officially).

The Following User Says Thank You to herpderp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
Now before you guys start telling me how it would cost hundreds of dollars, $34.95.

http://www.wirelessground.com/iphone...-keyboard.html

Seriously, look at the keyboard, it's nearly identical to that of the N900's. How could you possibly even try to make that argument? It is almost insulting to any rational person.
Argghhh ! Have you ever used or touched the above keyboard ???? Comparing its quality to the N900's keyboard is... whatever. And the upper row is too much close to the iPhone so it is not comfortable to type.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2012-10-26 at 02:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
The more I read this thread the more I hear this song in my head:

"fight fight fight, fight fight fight -
The itchy and scratchy show"

Dousan...

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

Last edited by Dousan; 2012-10-26 at 05:31.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dousan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
Argghhh ! Have you ever used or touched the above keyboard ???? Comparing its quality to the N900's keyboard is... whatever. And the upper row is too much close to the iPhone so it is not comfortable to type.
I had the same complaint with the n900 keyboard. It's even worse, since there the top row is actually letters, not numbers like that case. Can't count the times when my finger was caught up in the bottom hinge of the phone

The Following User Says Thank You to herpderp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi

"Seriously, look at the keyboard, it's nearly identical to that of the N900's. How could you possibly even try to make that argument? It is almost insulting to any rational person."

The keyboard looks (feels?) same.. but ...At 35 USD one can't expect the VKB to go hiding whenever typing on the external keyboard, I suppose

- wait , there mUst be an app to fix that?

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
I was thinking that would be a problem, especially with the tiny screen estate. However "there is an App for that"... on Cydia!

I'm flattered

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
What do you mean superficial?
See your comment below. You've said "For those who cannot code, cannot root, cannot change a Launcher... I tell them to get an iPhone". IMHO, this recommendation is very superficial because depending on users needs and preferences, a Nokia Asha Series 40, Nokia Symbian, iPhone, etc, could be better.

Many people ask me for phone advice.
I tell them the N900 is the best smartphone for geeks who are smart and know software etc etc.

I tell them the flagship Android phone with community support (usually a Galaxy) is the best smartphone, but it has so many extras that require you to learn them.

For those who cannot code, cannot root, cannot change a Launcher... I tell them to get an iPhone.

This really is the best approach.
You simply said the N900 can do these, and the iPhone cant. I simply corrected you because the iPhone can do those. You are merely grasping at straws.
Well, repeating what I've said :

Sorry, these recommendations are very superficial. Because there are many user requirements and preferences. For example :
- some users ask for a real keyboard, not touch vkb. So iPhone, many Android models, N9, etc, are excluded. But a Nokia Asha 303 can be the good choice;
- some users depend a lot on off-line Maps, so a Symbian smartphone with free Nokia Maps can be a solution;
- other users want the best camera, the answer is a Nokia 808.
Because of those facts :
1) iPhone doesn't have a physical keyboard. Neither N9, Galaxy S3, etc;
2) iPhone doesn't come with a off-line maps software;
3) iPhone doesn't have the best camera, it is worse than Nokia 808, Nokia N8 and some other smartphones.
If you disagree, ask Apple to change the "http://www.apple.com/iphone/" site to include what you say, maybe Apple is wrong advertizing its beloved iPhone. And you can ask all Internet reviews to correct them because that they are wrong : iPhone camera is the best one.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following User Says Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:

Tags
bateman v nerds, clueless ii, iphone doucher, neckbeards pwnd