Closed Thread
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Harmattan community?!?
mer/nemo, cssu-maemo, meego, etc dont have the hardware to be awesome yet. maemo6/harm runs on the best two devices ive ever seen.

til the open community gets a real phone, there will be swarms of harm hackers.

{srsly, if you dont want your n950, id be glad to test out mer on it...}

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by wolke View Post
aww man, that cut, that cut deep. we exist!
See, that is the point. You (the so called Harmattan community) separate yourselves from the Maemo community. What is the big idea behind that?

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Arieand wolke by arguing you would just trash the thread and than there would be no point to at answers, please can you stop and let other councils as well to answer questions, at least i care about mine. thank you.

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Hmm... a bit heated discussion.

Personally I feel the council members well deserve a device. Look at the amount of nominations for council members. Each year we're hard to get a full council. So for those that are willing to put their time into it, I applaud them, and think they fully deserve a device. They put the work in for the whole community, as elected by us, and people are up-in-arms about them getting a device? If it was so easy, I'd like to see much more participants in the community elections...

And another point... the discussion about whether council members should be allowed to nominate themselves to the community awards was a long time ago - it was here in TMO, it was in the mailing lists. I didn't see this kind of moaning about it then. The time to raise an issue about the possible conflicts of interests was then, not now after the awards have been given. I do think it's useful to raise issues about the selection criteria, but not about the conflict of interest. Time for that was before the awards were given.

On the other hand I understand where the complaints also come from. Personally I would have given RzR and itsnotabigtruck a device in a heartbeat. But I also realize that I'm looking things from Harmattan user perspective, and for that my perspective is not objective.

Also maybe some people feel the "harmattan folks" are not represented in the council. I do not know if that is so actually, as I hardly know the people in the council. I wanted myself to vote for Ariel since I knew he was a harmattan user and seemed sensible. But unfortunately I couldn't due to the maemo user name activation policies. Of course that vote would have been in the end a bit useless as he's left the platform (understandable given Nokia's recent actions), so no vote lost. But still, I think many harmattan users were caught a bit by surprise and couldn't vote.

Summary: I think council deserves the devices. I think RzR and itsnatabigtruck would also deserve a device. But so do many others for historical reasons for their services to the community, and I trust the council has done a good analysis. These kind of selections are always controversial. There's always difference of opinion who has made more contribution to the community. This was the council's, as elected by us, judgement. There is no absolute truth here.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
See, that is the point. You (the so called Harmattan community) separate yourselves from the Maemo community. What is the big idea behind that?
oh no, you misunderstand me, and i misunderstood you. the harm community is part of the larger maemo community. all i was saying is that people who have and use n9/n950 develop for it and help others who do so. harm is ultimately not the direction id like to see maemo go.

i dont separate myself from maemo, i fully plan on using the most open platform that works. i imagine that will be maemo for the foreseeable future.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Arie View Post
Again, I don't get the purpose, I'm asking the purpose of your questions.
You are sure you want it? Ok, be carefull what you wish.

I am questiong you being a part of this community at all. You said you are done with your N9 the first time there were some really bad news. A month after you want to be a part of the body governing this very same community you said you are done with the only up to date commercial device running maemo. How exactly you are part of us?

my n900 running out of juice, I stop here, sorry

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
You are sure you want it? Ok, be carefull what you wish.

I am questiong you being a part of this community at all. You said you are done with your N9 the first time there were some really bad news. A month after you want to be a part of the body governing this very same community you said you are done with the only up to date commercial device running maemo. How exactly you are part of us?

my n900 running out of juice, I stop here, sorry
No, your timeline is wrong. I used my N9 up until a week ago.

I ran for council over a month ago.

I am still part of it no matter what, most of the people I respect and regard are still here.

I still have an N900, where are all these assumptions coming from?

Please, correct your timeline of my life then we can agree on what you're saying.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
Since it's part of the listed criteria right in the wiki page referenced, I have to call FUD on you. Sorry. And really, at this point, if you think we just collected all that and spend days pouring over it to whittle down the list, and countless hours discussing it just to discard it, then I'm done chatting with you anyway. :P
Quoting the main article
Rules for submissions are, as follows:

1. Receiving submissions will start at Monday, 28 May, 00:00 UTC. It will last for 3 weeks.

2. *Only* self-submissions are allowed, via community mailing list. Submissions may contain rationale - a short description about Your deeds for Community, but it's not required. Contributions of anyone submitting will be analyzed by Council, nevertheless.

3. Submission must contain info, if candidate is interested *only* in one particular type of prize (N950 or N9 - so, in case of not enough devices of preferred type, no prize), or if is going to be satisfied by any. also, submissions *must* contain link to TMO profile of candidate (or information about not being registered on TMO).

4. Community Awards are granted for past deeds, so no future projects/promises are considered by Council.

5. Someone, who received N950's in any form before (dev programs, etc) can't submit for/receive another one, but *can* submit for N9.

6. Winners will be chosen by Council in it's discretion, in no more than a week time (so, winners will be announced no more than four weeks after start of program).

Last edited by somedude; 2012-06-21 at 22:53.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to somedude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
I am really getting tired of rehashing this same argument
I'm getting really tired of you being insulting, rude, and demanding. And yet, I'm still here, trying to be polite and answer your questions. Think about that...

who are the people that were given devices, as looking through their accounts I don't see many meaningful contributions compared to certain other applicants.
I'm sorry if some of these hard working contributors don't meet your level of "meaningful contributions". Again, insulting and arrogant.

The applicants, winners, their submissions, and all the details are on the wiki page. If you want a person-by-person listing of what they did, that's as close as you're going to get.

The fact that you clearly haven't looked at the applications, or the wiki-page, which I've linked to 3 times already, speaks volumes. We spent several days going over them. How long did you take?

There are also details about the nature of the competition on the wiki page, including that it's for past works, not future promises. Had you bothered to look at that one page, most of the arguments laid out above would have been moot from the start.

Also why did the council members that get devices have a say in who got picked?

I thought Quim explicitly said in the mailing list that if you get a device you can't be part of the group that chooses who gets a device.
Your "thought" on this matter is simply incorrect. I have documented proof that Quim agreed to the method we used for this conflict. I live by facts, not what you vaguely recall you think you might have read somewhere.

Even if you were right, that would leave ONLY ME picking. Know what that would have meant? I do. Of those on the list, only 3 devices would have been assigned differently; and you'd still be here whining about it, no doubt.

You may be incorrectly recalling Quim stating that past winners of Nokia awards can not get a second device of the same type from CA. That rule was strictly followed. We also asked another question to Quim in that meeting: Can past winners of N950s get N9 devices? I don't think that was an issue in the end, but the rules were all quite strictly followed, besides your slanderous allegation otherwise:

At this point it's clear the voting was not as transparent or to the rules as everyone was originally told.
Again... You're being rude and insulting. Do you not see that the above statement is at best rude, and at worst a blatant lie?

I'm sorry if you think you're special in some way because you are (or were) a big fish the "Harmattan community". But to come here, insult people, and the elected Council, spread FUD about the rules and the nature of the competition, and then demand detailed explanations and answers? You could be the CEO of Nokia, and I'd still tell you you're being a jerk.

And before you get on your high horse of "You've insulted the Harmattan community": No, I haven't. We just gave Harmattan two dozen excited new members with a track record of being huge community contributors (one of whom you've already managed to piss off). In fact, the only one being insulting to that community right now is you, by claiming to represent them while making childish attacks and insults based on made up facts and incorrect assumptions about the nature of this competition.

Need I remind you, you are the one coming in here making accusations? All of which so far have been documented and proven to be false? How many times do you have to be wrong before start to rethink your words so you're not insulting others?

With that, I'm giving you a time-out. If you're polite, I *might* come back and answer further questions you have tomorrow. But right now, you're being rude and insulting, and I've had about as much of you as I want to deal with today. I'll warn you, if you keep being rude and insulting, you may wind up with a special spot as the second person ever to be on my ignore list here on TMO.

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by somedude View Post
Quoting the main article
you need to mark it bold as well so people would understand what you meant =P

The Following User Says Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
award, community, council, device, outcry