Notices

Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Thanks for this app. Even if it's not the most accurate meter it useful for such this as check volume at a club/ music event..etc.

So, I made this new app icon if you would like to use it. Let me know if you need any more sizes or the a eps version.

cheers
x
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip vu_icon1.eps.zip (22.8 KB, 129 views)
File Type: zip vumeter_48-64-295set.zip (28.0 KB, 114 views)

Last edited by xman; 2010-12-08 at 18:18. Reason: add additional sizes

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xman View Post
So, I made this new app icon if you would like to use it. Let me know if you need any more sizes or the a eps version.
The icons look great, thanks a lot.
I just uploaded a new version with the new icon (I chose first one).

If you send me the eps version I'll add it to the subversion repository, if this is ok for you.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Just added a eps zip file to the org post. Glade you like it.

x

The Following User Says Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
I second the idea for being able to trigger the camera shutter when you reach a certain db

Or maybe it should be a seperate app, sound trigger for taking photos, but not sure if the camera is fast enough for an app like that to be of any use

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to *Sonic* For This Useful Post:
Posts: 270 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by *Sonic* View Post
I second the idea for being able to trigger the camera shutter when you reach a certain db

Or maybe it should be a seperate app, sound trigger for taking photos, but not sure if the camera is fast enough for an app like that to be of any use
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8_dAgaBBdI

Maybe this isn't quite possible with the internal camera... there are a few issues that I too can think of right now: no bulb mode, or delay in the camera sw, flash is a LED-based one so it's too slow etc... what I would someday like to see is the ability to trigger a remote flash unit like in the video without the arduino... Maybe it's too much to wish for

The Following User Says Thank You to Mandibela For This Useful Post:
Amazing App - I was considering trying to borrow a meter
to make a point about PA systems on aircraft
(the last Boeing 737-900ER I flew on had a PA system
cranked to the point where the sound was physically excruciating).

Adding it to my favorites (I am running the new 0.3.3 from extra-dev)

Thanks Wonko - excellent work
suggest link in your sig to the garage site for this,
as you have no [Announce] thread yet

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following User Says Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
A new app called "Sound Meter" just showed up in the Ovi store for 2 euros. Haven't tried it myself, but this is what the one review says:
Originally Posted by marko.paasila
Hey, it looks nice and simple and the indicator moves. However I hope you work on it a bit more. What does i indicate? It should read dB or something. I think normal talking is 60-70dB but the Meter doesn't move at all. There should also be an option to calibrate. Keep up the work. The app will be useful when it works. I'm looking forward for an update.
https://store.ovi.mobi/content/65629

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Originally Posted by jedi View Post
A new app called "Sound Meter" just showed up in the Ovi store for 2 euros. Haven't tried it myself, but this is what the one review says:

https://store.ovi.mobi/content/65629

Item unavailable

This item is not available for your country.

paddingpadding

Just downloaded the VU meter app.

Cool app. Really liked it!

Anyway, I'd like to suggest one relatively simple tweak to this app which could really improve its accuracy:
Currently, it seems like the app is reporting the voice level at a very short interval (probably by using the values reported by the analogue-to-digital converter). As a result, the volume dial is quite jittery and the maximal reported level includes some high peaks that do not make any actual sense.

I think it would be better if the VU meter would measure the average noise level over some (configurable) time interval. e.g. 0.1s, 1s etc.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sela For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Quick request: Can we get a settings option to change between the "analog" and the one from version 0.0.3 or whatever? Because I personally liked the digital one more (at least in so far as screenshots look), and that in my opinion is better accuracy wise. Analog devices existed because they needed to be that way. Digital stuff pretending to look analog is an aesthetical preference some hold, but it's not universal enough to warrant just having the analog version, in my opinion.

But, naturally, I'd rather not deny the analogy version to those who do have it, so if both UIs came packaged and you had a choice between the two, that would be great. (It also makes portrait mode that much easier with at least the non-analog one supporting it far more automatically, if coded right.)

@sela's idea: I like it, but again, I think it would be preferable if these settings were somehow accessible to the user.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post: