Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
When the "geeks" leave, it will hurt the platform. I remember when I bought a 770 three years ago, there was no software, less geeks means less software less functionmality.
What makes you think the 'geeks' are going to leave?

YARR!
}:^)~
<Corrupt

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by EIPI View Post
But isn't this exactly the status quo we enjoy today with tethering thru BT DUN? I tether everyday at work, and I place my cell phone at an extreme corner of my desk with the best reception while my tablet roams, no 'roves', around my cubicle and the surrounding area as I see fit. In situations like this, a tablet separated from the gsm radio makes a lot of sense. Having time to ponder recent developments I am leaning towards getting something like a MIFI and hoping that Mer unlocks untapped talent within my N800...
This is precisely what I liked about including BT in IT's the past--knowing I don't have to part with some money going to an appendix that I'll likely never use to digest these 1's and 0's floating about in the air, hitting me unconscious in the head to wake up naked and bruised somewhere in the middle of New Jersey. o.O

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Yes. And it isn't just because you can't lug your home TV around in your pocket. My daughter has, on several occasions, asked to watch a movie on the tablet rather than the 50" screen in the living room.
So sales of 50" tvs should be plummeting! Yet my impression is that sales of bigger tvs are actually one of the few bright spots in the economy. Does Nokia know better?

If sales of big tvs are actually high, isn't it amazing that people whose credit is collapsing and who are losing their homes are willing to buy big tvs when they would be just as happy with cell phone tvs?

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
So sales of 50" tvs should be plummeting! Yet my impression is that sales of bigger tvs are actually one of the few bright spots in the economy. Does Nokia know better?

If sales of big tvs are actually high, isn't it amazing that people whose credit is collapsing and who are losing their homes are willing to buy big tvs when they would be just as happy with cell phone tvs?

If I could get an old '74 VW microbus to live out of.. I'd put a 50" TV in it.

Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
"All I wanted was a Pepsi. Just one Pepsi."
Yea that works really well when do we trash this place

http://www.last.fm/music/Suicidal+Te...titutionalized

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
All the talk about carrier locked phones is strange. Nokia is probably the largest seller of unlocked mobile phones in the US and definitely in the world. They are the only major manufacturer to supply chains of brick and mortar stores such as Best Buy Mobile and CompUSA (RIP) with unlocked phones here in the US. Sony Ericsson does a few models but nowhere near the scope of Nokia.

I can virtually guarantee that if there is a version of the N900 being sold via T-Mobile there will be another sold unlocked. I think that devices that are developed in conjunction with a carrier are the only ones that are exclusive and locked to a carrier. I can only think of the E62, E71x and the upcoming Mako as devices that fall into this category from Nokia. I also think that the unsubsidized price within one or two months of launch will be no more than $450 judging by the recent fall in price of premium devices from Nokia.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mobiledivide For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
All the talk about carrier locked phones is strange. Nokia is probably the largest seller of unlocked mobile phones in the US and definitely in the world. They are the only major manufacturer to supply chains of brick and mortar stores such as Best Buy Mobile and CompUSA (RIP) with unlocked phones here in the US. Sony Ericsson does a few models but nowhere near the scope of Nokia.

I can virtually guarantee that if there is a version of the N900 being sold via T-Mobile there will be another sold unlocked. I think that devices that are developed in conjunction with a carrier are the only ones that are exclusive and locked to a carrier. I can only think of the E62, E71x and the upcoming Mako as devices that fall into this category from Nokia. I also think that the unsubsidized price within one or two months of launch will be no more than $450 judging by the recent fall in price of premium devices from Nokia.
Unlocked doesn't mean that a particular handset's radio will work with every carrier.

Last edited by danramos; 2009-05-28 at 23:12.

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Oregon
Hi, this is my first post.
I am another new phone centric member. After reading the leak on the N900 I began seeking out all the info I could find about the device. I had never heard of the Maemo platform. The more I learned about Maemo the more excited I became. If the specs on this device are true then I have finally found the perfect all in one device I have been waiting for .

I understand the frustration that those who were waiting for a upgraded tablet feel but with the success of the N900, which I believe will be HUGE, the chances for other devices like new tablets will greatly increase.

I was nervous about joining after reading some of the anti phone people posts and would like to thank Jsa for showing me that I would not get shot on sight!

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Team C For This Useful Post:
Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
I also think that the unsubsidized price within one or two months of launch will be no more than $450 judging by the recent fall in price of premium devices from Nokia.
We, most of us here I think, don't want to pay a premium for a phone and use it as a tablet. We want to have a tablet but also can use it as a phone if possible. Phone should be an add-on option not a requirement for a tablet. If Apple has iPhone and iPod Touch, is it so hard for Nokia to have N900p and N900t?

But maybe I talk too soon. I'll wait.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nhanquy For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Team C View Post
I was nervous about joining after reading some of the anti phone people posts and would like to thank Jsa for showing me that I would not get shot on sight!
We're just batching you up, more efficient to do it in groups of 5 or more.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile