Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by knobtviker View Post
Here's a nifty idea I just had the need for.
In conditions set check for filesize. User types in absolute path and chooses file size as limit. Presets would be fine.
Then as actions user can do any custom action etc.
Opinions?
Probably quite a power-user feature, but I do like it... Although it probably would be best to have some sort of filebrowser then for choosing the file, and that might be annoying to implement.

I'll write it down but no promises when or if ever...

Would it be hard to add feature that would add bluetooth connection to be used as a rule? I mean that phone would e.g. change profile when I connect to bluetooth hands free.
I am already slowly implementing that, and it does seem somewhat annoying to implement. I'll post a beta version when I have something that in my opinion should work, and we'll see then.

The Following User Says Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 665 | Thanked: 2,388 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Zagreb, Croatia
I see your point, but no browser needed, at least for start.
Just a simple text input field so we can put in absolute path.

If users can input and execute custom actions, a simple file path shouldn't be a problem

The Following User Says Thank You to knobtviker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 52 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Poland, Tricity
I now have some rules for places and I was wondering how do you restore values? Do you always force restore or do you check if the current value (before restoration) is the same as the one set by the rule?

For example:
  • Let's say I have a rule that changes profile to Silent.
  • My setting before the rule sets is Ringing 20%.
  • The rule becomes active (and Silent profile is set).
  • I manually change rule to Ringing 40%.
  • The rule becomes inactive...
So what would happen? Would it be set to Ringing 20% or left on 40%?

I was also wondering if you actively sniff (listen) for changes of values or simply check the current value just before restoration. I think the latter would be better.

Also in any of the above decisions made I think it would be nice to have a "force restore" option (and default to "restore if not changed").

Originally Posted by eccenux View Post
I now have some rules for places and I was wondering how do you restore values? Do you always force restore or do you check if the current value (before restoration) is the same as the one set by the rule?
Restore is forced. The value is stored before the rule becomes active, and that value restored when rule is deactivated. At least for me I often might change for example profile volume temporary - but I'd still want it to restore the previous one when I for example exit an area.

For example:
  • Let's say I have a rule that changes profile to Silent.
  • My setting before the rule sets is Ringing 20%.
  • The rule becomes active (and Silent profile is set).
  • I manually change rule to Ringing 40%.
  • The rule becomes inactive...
So what would happen? Would it be set to Ringing 20% or left on 40%?
It'd be restored to ringing 20%. At least for me I often might change for example profile volume temporary - but I'd still want it to restore the previous one when I for example exit an area.

I was also wondering if you actively sniff (listen) for changes of values or simply check the current value just before restoration. I think the latter would be better.
I understand what you propose might be preferable in some situations. But monitoring those changes would make the code more complex and essentially mix some of the conditions code into actions. So this is not something I will consider unless it becomes more requested feature.

But I'll keep it in mind if there's more requests along that line, this is the first one I've seen.

I see in the 1.7 features, that "Setting background connections enabled/disabled" should be possible? Where? I don't see this action anywhere...

Would be really nice to set background connections disabled when i'm on 2/3g

The Following User Says Thank You to zappAtom For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zappAtom View Post
I see in the 1.7 features, that "Setting background connections enabled/disabled" should be possible? Where? I don't see this action anywhere...

Would be really nice to set background connections disabled when i'm on 2/3g
Good catch, I'll remove it. Thanks.

It's unfortunately not possible to set it from 3rd party applications, or at least I do not know how to.

I thought there once was a suggestion that one could do this by custom command action...Did htis proove to be unreliable or not possible at all? When reading your list my first thought was this is now integrated as supported action...

Originally Posted by zappAtom View Post
I thought there once was a suggestion that one could do this by custom command action...Did htis proove to be unreliable or not possible at all? When reading your list my first thought was this is now integrated as supported action...
It only seemingly worked. Ie. it looked from the Settings that it was changed, but in reality not.

Ok, good to know...i just found your earlier post regarding this issue:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=147

Really a pitty if this can't be set...

I have tested this kind of trick:

Switch background connections on:
Code:
/sbin/initctl restart xsession/icd2
sleep 5
gconftool-2 -t bool -s /system/osso/connectivity/network_type/restricted_mode false
And switch off:

Code:
gconftool-2 -t bool -s /system/osso/connectivity/network_type/restricted_mode true
sleep 5
/sbin/initctl restart xsession/icd2
After a little testing, it seems to work otherwise OK, but problem is that doing this way will terminate ongoing data transfer. I guess it might be possible to make phone wait until data transfer is complete, but I have no idea how. It might also be impossible to do this without opensh...

I added those sleeps, because it seemed to cause connection to freeze sometimes, if two other command were executed without waiting for a while. Not really sure if they are needed.

Please note, that reliability of this trick is far from certain! I've only tested it on my N9 for about a week.

EDIT:

Setting the internet on/off with mcetools instead of restarting icd2
seems to give a reliable result. (See: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=983)

I now switch background connections on by:

Code:
/sbin/mcetool --disable-radio=wlan
sleep 1
/sbin/mcetool --enable-radio=wlan
sleep 1
gconftool-2 -t bool -s /system/osso/connectivity/network_type/restricted_mode false
and off by:

Code:
gconftool-2 -t bool -s /system/osso/connectivity/network_type/restricted_mode true
/sbin/mcetool --disable-radio=wlan
sleep 1
/sbin/mcetool --enable-radio=wlan

Last edited by kkarioja; 2013-04-18 at 15:38. Reason: Better solution found

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kkarioja For This Useful Post: