Posts: 40 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Birmingham - UK
I’m proud to announce the BlackBerry Qt Porting Program that we launched at Qt Developer Days in Santa Clara 2012.

Qualified Qt developers who complete the registration form may be eligible to receive a BlackBerry® 10 Dev Alpha device under the BlackBerry Qt Porting Program, to help them prepare for the launch of the upcoming BlackBerry 10 platform. For complete details, see Official Program Terms and Conditions .

What you need to do is:

For BlackBerry 10 to be successful we need Qt Developers to bring us their applications and also a strong Qt Development framework and therefore we also have an offer of a one-time donation of $10,000 USD to the Qt Project Hosting Foundation if 50 eligible Qt apps are ported to BlackBerry 10 by the Qt Community and then posted and available for sale in BlackBerry App World by January 30, 20131

Criteria:
  • Become a BlackBerry World Vendor.
  • Apps must be submitted to BlackBerry World by Jan. 20/13 and be approved.
  • 50 Qt apps must be up for sale in BlackBerry World by Jan.30/13.
    So come along and Port your Qt applications. If you quality you will be announced in this thread.

Good luck guys :-)

Ash
@AshNazir

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MeeGoExperts For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by MeeGoExperts View Post
I’m proud to announce the BlackBerry Qt Porting Program that we launched at Qt Developer Days in Santa Clara 2012.

Qualified Qt developers who complete the registration form may be eligible to receive a BlackBerry® 10 Dev Alpha device under the BlackBerry Qt Porting Program, to help them prepare for the launch of the upcoming BlackBerry 10 platform. For complete details, see Official Program Terms and Conditions .

What you need to do is:

For BlackBerry 10 to be successful we need Qt Developers to bring us their applications and also a strong Qt Development framework and therefore we also have an offer of a one-time donation of $10,000 USD to the Qt Project Hosting Foundation if 50 eligible Qt apps are ported to BlackBerry 10 by the Qt Community and then posted and available for sale in BlackBerry App World by January 30, 20131

Criteria:
  • Become a BlackBerry World Vendor.
  • Apps must be submitted to BlackBerry World by Jan. 20/13 and be approved.
  • 50 Qt apps must be up for sale in BlackBerry World by Jan.30/13.
    So come along and Port your Qt applications. If you quality you will be announced in this thread.

Good luck guys :-)

Ash
@AshNazir
This program is very attractive rom a developer's point of view, but please consider that from a community perspective, you are offering to donate to Qt Project and not to the Hildon Foundation, in charge of Maemo and derivatives promotion.

We are precisely in a very critical moment in which that kind of donation would possibly the migration to a non-Nokia-funded infrastructure.

Would you please consider also to make a donation to the foundation?

We can comment by PM or mail if needed.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Google chrome says:

This web page has a redirect loop

Can't submit my details!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to rash.m2k For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Ah... I do have sympathy for a new Qt-supporting platform. But unfortunately the BB10 APIs and capabilities of the platform seem quite restrictive. I can't see any way to implement for example ProfileMatic on that platform. Not even RingingRestorer.

I hope they do have some success and improve the platform in future.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
I have ported my app and submitted the application, but forgot to mention that I don't need alpha device (have one already). I just want to contribute to Qt project....

Can you PM me the contact info for whom I can speak to?

Thanks for the initiative.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sony123 For This Useful Post:
Seems cool. How similar are the Qt/QML APIs to those on the N9? I'd like to port my tasks application to the N9. If code can be shared/similar for BB10, then that would be even better.

The Following User Says Thank You to jackburton For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by jackburton View Post
Seems cool. How similar are the Qt/QML APIs to those on the N9? I'd like to port my tasks application to the N9. If code can be shared/similar for BB10, then that would be even better.
It should be possible to use plain Qt/QML, but I have heard that there are still some issues in the BB10 Qt port. Also it looks like Harmattan Qt Components will not be available. For this reason I'm working on including all the components my applications need directly to the application files (by removinng/reimplementing all C++ plugins so that the resulting components are not dependent on compiled code & libmeegotouch anymore).

The main focus of BB10 seems to be on the Cascades - which is some sort of a QML + Qt Components mashup. If you use it, your application should get all the native look & feel bits. On the other hand it is proprietary & only available on BB10 at the moment. So if you wan't to use Cascades, you will basically need to re/write the UI just for B10.

BTW, I got accepted to the porting program with Mieru, modRana and RePho a few days ago. Haven't got the device yet, probably due to the overall Christmas mayhem.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jackburton View Post
MartinK pretty much summarized the dev environment. For me I eventually settled into Cascade because I had font style issue with pure QML/Qt and re-implementing Qt components is a pain... actually for the gold SDK re-writing UI isn't as difficult as I first felt. My story is probably too long and I also got another question about how to develop for BB10, so I wrote the experience at my blog.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sony123 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
It should be possible to use plain Qt/QML, but I have heard that there are still some issues in the BB10 Qt port. Also it looks like Harmattan Qt Components will not be available. For this reason I'm working on including all the components my applications need directly to the application files (by removinng/reimplementing all C++ plugins so that the resulting components are not dependent on compiled code & libmeegotouch anymore).

The main focus of BB10 seems to be on the Cascades - which is some sort of a QML + Qt Components mashup. If you use it, your application should get all the native look & feel bits. On the other hand it is proprietary & only available on BB10 at the moment. So if you wan't to use Cascades, you will basically need to re/write the UI just for B10.

BTW, I got accepted to the porting program with Mieru, modRana and RePho a few days ago. Haven't got the device yet, probably due to the overall Christmas mayhem.
Will you be interesting in sharing your re-implemented Qt components? That would be a great resource for porting Symbian/Harmattan apps. I have seen efforts in porting Qt component from Symbian/Meego, but they are not coordinated. I tried to compile Symbian's version myself, but I am novice to Qt so couldn't get it compiling....

Yes, Cascade is what BB Qt folks are working on. Earlier a guy said they might offer Qt component in longer run, but they need to get Cascade up to speed first.

The Following User Says Thank You to sony123 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by sony123 View Post
Will you be interesting in sharing your re-implemented Qt components? That would be a great resource for porting Symbian/Harmattan apps.
Yeah, sure:
https://github.com/M4rtinK/modrana/t...gui_qml/ic/qtc
It's work in progress (I'm currently running with a toplevel Harmattan QtC PageStackWindow but everything else uses the local components), but it has already many frequently used components (Button, Page, PageStack, Dialog, Label) & their styles.
I'll be adding more components as I add more functionality to the modRana QML GUI or when I convert the Mieru UI, that is more advanced and uses more components, to use this.

BTW, some other components will be a little bit more tricky - the Slider uses a C++ based RangeModel - that model should be probably replaced by javascript to be application independent. But for the PageStackWindow a plugin that implements backend for the Screen element would still be needed, so that the window reorientates correctly. Should not be anything difficult - it just needs to connect to QtMobility or some similar API to listen for orientation changes.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post: