Originally Posted by nonsuch View Post
not outright admitting failure, but making it clear that one shouldn't expect too much.
i dunno, the coreboot-flashed mini pc theyre re-selling at a 250% markup from wholesale might make them liquid enough to actually get the evergreens out. people are buying them like hotcakes that people buy a lot of.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
I knew this would be hogwash. I was wrong thinking it'd the software which would be forever crap. But seems like they have lots of problems with hardware too.

Too bad, but I do hope the orderers eventually get something for their investment.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Must be tough times for the Purism folks. They did give me a refund a few months ago so I give them credit for that. While they have probably made significant progress with the software, the hardware will likely be lacking.
Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see that situation improving any time soon. Regardless, I'm rooting for them and wish them succes.

Last edited by mscion; 2020-06-28 at 03:10.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wolke View Post
i dunno, the coreboot-flashed mini pc theyre re-selling at a 250% markup from wholesale might make them liquid enough to actually get the evergreens out. people are buying them like hotcakes that people buy a lot of.
People do?

Purism were doing well enough before they took on this smartphone project. But they're not a big company and they probably do not have any sort of financial cushioning, which became apparent during the Librem 5 desaster, because many decisions were clearly made to - how to put it - not go bankrupt, try to keep the money in, hoping it would work out in the end.
The problem is that they weren't being upfront about it, choosing a (probably expensive) marketing "strategy" instead, while the actual hard/software development remained pitiful (there's some pics & vids in this thread that well deserve this adjective, and articles that go into much detail).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Anybody get this phone in the mail yet? Apparently they are now shipping out. I backed out and got a refund. But would be interested in hearing about folk's experiences. Thanks!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
my eta is feb14-19

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
My eta is now May. I hope May 2021.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
My eta is now May. I hope May 2021.
So, how many different phones you have ordered?
I'm a actually thinking of getting the Galaxy s21 ultra.
Big screen, probably best camera, and spen compatibility.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
So, how many different phones you have ordered?
I'm a actually thinking of getting the Galaxy s21 ultra.
Big screen, probably best camera, and spen compatibility.
Ordered the Purism phone way, way, way back in the before times. Actually forgot which year. Ordered the Pro 1 just before the Pro 1 X was announced, which I guess was the kiss of death for my order. Ordered a Pinephone last Summer and got in less than a month.

333 is really good in the majors!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
Ordered the Purism phone way, way, way back in the before times. Actually forgot which year. Ordered the Pro 1 just before the Pro 1 X was announced, which I guess was the kiss of death for my order. Ordered a Pinephone last Summer and got in less than a month.

333 is really good in the majors!
Well, you are still doing, better than me. 0 for 1 with the Jolla tablet... Lol.