Let me start by saying that I'm new to Nokia/Maemo/Linux (save for my g/f's e71x), and have no programming experience whatsoever. Conky is the only insight I have to the 900's performance. But from what I can tell, and correct me if I'm wrong, but even with everything that I can turn off, being off:

- No widgets
- Cellular/WiFi radios off
- Calendar widget off
- All apps closed (except app load, but I don't think its a major contributor to the total)

...Conky still reports 186 process being active. My Motorola Q (had registry access and heavily modded) and Droid didn't have anywhere near this many active process. My XP Pro with all that I use it for, at most has ~60 processes running.

Is this a little high? Could this be the reason that battery is draining so quickly? If so, any way to dial that number down?

Last edited by colnago; 2010-01-08 at 18:45.

Posts: 158 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
It's not about how much processes you have, its how many of those arent sleeping.

Well.. just the basics of the GNU/Linux platform do spawn separate processes for most different parts.. plus then you have X windows, then the sound system, then any running monitors or services..

Linux typically has a higher number of processes running at a given time.. I don't think it would effect battery life too much unless one of those processes was constantly hitting the CPU...

Do you have your conky monitoring processor usage?
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Well.. just the basics of the GNU/Linux platform do spawn separate processes for most different parts.. plus then you have X windows, then the sound system, then any running monitors or services..

Linux typically has a higher number of processes running at a given time.. I don't think it would effect battery life too much unless one of those processes was constantly hitting the CPU...

Do you have your conky monitoring processor usage?
I only have the app (Conky) running, in stock form, from what was DL'd from the the repository (not testing nor dev. versions). I thought that the "processes" listing could have possibly been for "installed" processes, but I had opened a few apps and the number jumped to 218, which is what I suspected...its an "active" listing.

I'm trying to post the pics from my flikr account but I'm new with that...I'll try to move them to my other sharing account, but basically I turned off everything that I could. The only thing running in the status bar is the clock and the battery bar.

p.s. - why did this get moved to the OS forum?

Last edited by colnago; 2010-01-08 at 18:47.

In any Linuxsystem a process has very little to do with a program/package. Most of them are actually threads of a program, any given program can use any number of these threads to process stuff "concurrently".
If you run top in xterm look at the %CPU row and you'll see, that even the top most process doesn't use much cpu at all, and most likely it's top itself if nothing else is running.

If you're new to all this and don't really see the connection i'm trying to draw for you, don't worry and maybe just take the word from ppl running some kind of Linux every day. This is a totally typical process count, nothing to worry about at all, the only thing that's relevant, is if the processes use %cpu.

The CPU usage 28% is what would annoy me. Does it stay that high? Looking at the processes hildon is the second highest - that doesn't surprise me.. on normal desktops X-windows tends to spike every now and then..

But 13% CPU and 1% Mem just for pulseaudio... damn. I heard people complaining about pulseaudio's usage around here... but still.. damn. On a mobile device that sucks. Does it stay that high?

ETA: Not *quite* as bad as I thought.. your processor is downclocked to 250mhz (it's like speed-stepping on a laptop). So the 28% isn't as scary as I first thought. Still - seems high.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2010-01-08 at 18:56.

open the terminal.

type ps lax and press the return key. Those are all the processes.

In general you should not need to micromanage the number of processes...

top is showing me

Code:
Mem: 237240K used, 8300K free, 0K shrd, 7436K buff, 68152K cached
CPU:  0.3% usr  0.3% sys  0.0% nice 99.2% idle  0.0% io  0.0% irq  0.0% softir
Load average: 0.19 0.11 0.03
Maybe conky is the cpu hog?

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
The CPU usage 28% is what would annoy me. Does it stay that high? Looking at the processes hildon is the second highest - that doesn't surprise me.. on normal desktops X-windows tends to spike every now and then..

But 13% CPU and 1% Mem just for pulseaudio... damn. I heard people complaining about pulseaudio's usage around here... but still.. damn. On a mobile device that sucks. Does it stay that high?

ETA: Not *quite* as bad as I thought.. your processor is downclocked to 250mhz (it's like speed-stepping on a laptop). So the 28% isn't as scary as I first thought. Still - seems high.

Note on the pulse audio, I think that is just for the "beeping" for the 20 second timer for a "screenshot". Once I take the pic, process utilization normalizes to like 3% at most, for Conky.

The top (4) process are pretty much Conky, @ 2-3%, and some others at less than 1%. I guess I'm looking at it from a Windows PC standpoint...and maybe the DROID as well. Even though the processes were listed , they weren't hitting the processor/battery. I was just shocked to see so many, but if the system architecture is "different", so be it.

Maybe if the 900 had a power/battery usage monitor, something like this (for the less command line inclined):

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
This is not the status monitor you are looking for...

FYI my linux box has 205 processes at the moment.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-01-08 at 19:15.

Tags
active processes, battery drain, battery life, conky, cpu use, fremantle, idle, kill process, kill processes, linux, maemo, maemo 5, process, processes, under the hood