Posts: 70 | Thanked: 357 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Europe
Originally Posted by pexi View Post
There are some programs like whatsapp that i need to stay in touch with some people abroad.
Yes, without the ability to use apps like Whatsapp many people would need a second phone and then (soon after) will wonder why they would carry the one with Sailfish.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pim For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by pexi View Post
To me android is more like an application and sailfish is an operating system - with all it's possibilities.
This is pretty much how I see it as well. Sailfish OS just feels to me much more robust & "proper" as an OS. Not to mention being much more in control & being able to introspect what the system is doing, unlike with the interwoven bunch of google and vendor services running on a normal Android device, doing "something".

It is the unfortunate issue of many useful services being accessible only via an Android/iOS application, not having any public API and in general being unlikely we will have a native Sailfish OS application for every such service even if there is a usable API. On the other hand we have many robust a full featured native apps available.

This together creates the best of both worlds - an OS you can trust and control, robust if a bit limited native apps (most of them OSS) & the option to run Android apps for the rest, ideally as isolated from the rest of the system as possible.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
again.
Normal android device can run android without a trace of google. How is running an app dependent on google services like whatsup better on top of sailfish than it is on top of AOSP?
I agree that bunch of apps are needlessly tied too google services even if some of them will run just fine if we ignore complaint while some won't at all. Micro G can help but it's not a 100% solution. But even if we ignore all those apps and use just ones which don't need google services we still have much wider choice than on sailfish.
AOSP is open source with the same closed blobs that sailfish needs.
Bottom line is, using only OSS on AOSP will give more options than we have on sailfish. Is that enough to get us trough the day or do we need something that needs google is another question. All I need is an explanation why is using google over android emulator on top of sailfish better, safer, more private, whatever..... then using it on top of AOSP or some stock ROM that includes all of their services?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
I see SFOS (in relation to dalvik) as a sandbox for android apps. I can make them see no contacts and they don't (shouldn't) have access to OS.

I think that's where Jolla should apply their time, create more controls, create all those fake-feeding of contacts/location/etc.
Android on SFOS should be the best android version (privacy-wise) out there.

Too bad, they don't really push it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
I see SFOS (in relation to dalvik) as a sandbox for android apps. I can make them see no contacts and they don't (shouldn't) have access to OS.

I think that's where Jolla should apply their time, create more controls, create all those fake-feeding of contacts/location/etc.
Android on SFOS should be the best android version (privacy-wise) out there.

Too bad, they don't really push it.
how is that useful for whatsup that seems to be the reason #1?

I don't use whatsapp.

Bit I think you can create a specific contact-list inside dalvik. So whatsapp doesn't have all your contacts but only those that you talk with.

So your whole contact list doesn't get leaked.

It applies for all android apps. They are very chatty. And you can't really control what they do on your phone.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
I don't use whatsapp.

Bit I think you can create a specific contact-list inside dalvik. So whatsapp doesn't have all your contacts but only those that you talk with.

So your whole contact list doesn't get leaked.

It applies for all android apps. They are very chatty. And you can't really control what they do on your phone.
THIS and more could be a deal maker.
But it looks neither Jolla is interested in such behaviour nor the 'community'

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
again.
Normal android device can run android without a trace of google. How is running an app dependent on google services like whatsup better on top of sailfish than it is on top of AOSP?
For me:

- I like to have a "GNU"/Linux device
- I like to be able to easily SSH / enable developer mode
- I like SailfishOS's swiping UI much more than Android's common UIs

Well, it seems I can run on my "GNU"/Linux device also Android apps in a container if I find it necessary. It's convenient to me if I really need those apps. And I use that option if it befits my other precautions such as privacy and malware and such considerations.

My needs are not very complex. But they're quite uniquely only provided by SailfishOS currently.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
again.
Normal android device can run android without a trace of google.
I understand the difference between Android and AOSP.
I know from personal experience that it's perfectly possible to use an Android phone without Gapps and what is commonly known as Google services.
But AOSP is still Google!
The Android Open Source Project is very much a Google project. They hold the reigns. They decide what gets coded and what doesn't.
The implications are vast - it's the main reason for me to not use any Google product, however open source it might be.

And the calls to Google servers are still there in AOSP, and developers of "alternative" OSs based on AOSP rarely bother to take those out. Something that never ceases to amaze me.

So yes, there are still "traces of Google" in AOSP.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
so, now with it it is not?
Don't get me wrong. I like it. But the sad facts are still facts and there's no way around them. 6 years after and we have less working apps then in the year of inception.
People have different needs and priorities. Funny how SFOS fills all my needs but Android does not...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: