Active Topics

I previously posted that the file structure of my Internal memory card (mmc2) fot messed up. The N800 has made it a read-only memory.

I would like to reformat it so I can use it again, I do not mind losing the data on it, which is backed up. But I cannot reformat with File Manager, it refuses to give me the option.

This is a 16GB card, and about 4GB is in use.

In the control panel, I had previously checked the option in "virtual memory" to use the internal card to extend vertual memory. The control panel refuses to let m uncheck this option, and perhaps that's why I'm not allowed to reformat.

I wonder if it might help to swap the two memory cards I have, so that the internal memory becomes the "removeable memory."

Can someone help? I found info about reformatting at another thread here. I'm a Linux Newbie, so I think that what I'm about to quote does not quite tell me exactly what commands to try. In any case, what will happen when I reformat over extended virtual memory that might be in use?

Here' the quote from the otehr thread:

Lowlevel formatting:
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...formatter.html

Thanks for the pointer!

I'll have to try that if all else fails.

I ended up doing a 'dd if=/dev/zero' to the card, followed by sfdisk and mkfs.vfat, and it seems to be working (but only in my Nokia device -- neither Windows nor Linux recognizes the media.

I'm just copying stuff onto it again -- the problem only occurred previously when I passed the 10 or 11 gig mark.

However, I'm guessing a low-level format would do even more?

Anyway, thanks again for the pointer! I'll have to try it if all else fails.

Please help!
Thanks,
- toby robison

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
For the formatting, try this link instead. It's not a tip. It's a Windows program that formats the card at a low level.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 149 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Finland
The card becoming read only might be a symptom of it being faulty. I would beware of storing anything valuable on it until it's proven it's reliability to you. If it happens again, return it.

Naranek,
The card became faulty after I removed it from a PC USB port without "safely removing" it. I hope that I did only soft damage to the card, and not hard damage. What do you think?

GeraldKo and Naranek, thanks! I did teh sdfv reformat, and my N800 recovered nicely.

odd this happened to me yesterday... I now have a card that shows as readonly but will be following your tips.

looking at the post data of this thread has anything changed on the N800 or just random luck we both has the same problem. First time ive ever seen a card error and use flash cards for torrent downloads on another linux system.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
[Ignore this post; I was wrong; see Post #8 below by Ace. I just ASSumed that this was a possible problem. After reading Ace's post I tested it out, and I had no trouble writing to the supposedly locked card.]

I expect this is not your problem, but I'll put it here should anyone else bump into this thread whom it might have helped ...

Also make sure you didn't accidentally push the little slide mechanism on the edge of the card into the locked position.

Last edited by GeraldKo; 2009-02-17 at 22:34.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Also make sure you didn't accidentally push the little slide mechanism on the edge of the card into the locked position.
I thought the N800 ignored the write-protect switch?

The Following User Says Thank You to ace For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
There are many many ways that a card would become read only. One of them, and is a very frequent one, is the swap file got mess up. If that is the situation, delete the swapfile either under window or linux (just hit delete under window, no programming involved ), will get your card back and up again, with ALL the data intact. Of course, if your card is actually corrupted more than just the swap file, than this will not help you.

bun

Bunanson,
Thanks for that advice. I recovered by reformatting, and the card is fine for now. But I'll try your advice next time. I hope therre isn't any next time. ...