Active Topics

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ United Kingdom
Hi, I own a Nokia N810 and running out of internal memory fast (I only have 6mb left) but there are still applications out there I want to install.

I have plenty of space left of Nokia's external memory and I also have an 8GB MicroSD card. How do I install applications to either the external memory card or my 8GB card? On rare occasions, an application (or game) asks you where you want it it to install but 95% of the time, they just assume you want to use the internal memory.

Thanks!

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Hi gohan2091

How to get more memory to install applications
http://wiki.maemo.org/Booting_from_a_flash_card

See also http://wiki.maemo.org/Frequently_asked_questions

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
qgil is quite right, but you will find it much easier to follow the link in my sig, the one I say to go to first, where there's penguinbait's deb, which does it all for you.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Hi, thanks both of you. Geez, all this just to do what I ask? Why can't a program be made that asks you where you want to install the application before you install it? I know this can be done, I have software on my N810 now that asked me where I wanted it installed before I installed it.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by gohan2091 View Post
Hi, thanks both of you. Geez, all this just to do what I ask? Why can't a program be made that asks you where you want to install the application before you install it? I know this can be done, I have software on my N810 now that asked me where I wanted it installed before I installed it.
That's not what it asked you. It asked you where you want the category in which you want the alias-equivalent (or shortcut-equivalent) listed.

If you aren't putting in tons of apps, and you aren't saving much data to the device memory, you actually probably have adequate space. The fact is, though, that the device memory -- not the SD's, but the built-in -- is where the apps have to go, and it's not that big (256k). Unless you clone, as per the earlier replies. Make sure you save data to the SD card.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Linux is a complicated beast: trust me when I say that the easiest route is to clone then boot off an SD card.

In addition, I think the application manager just asks you what category you want to put the shortcut in, not where the actual data is stored...

Edit: GeraldKo beat me to it

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

Last edited by BrentDC; 2009-05-09 at 00:09.

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
That's not what it asked you. It asked you where you want the category in which you want the alias-equivalent (or shortcut-equivalent) listed.
No, there are bunch of games which do ask where to install (50-100 MB) data files.

Reason why not all apps do this, is that it very non-standard way to install files, deb packages and linux file system hierarchy is just made this way. Another reason is that sd-cards are usually fat32 formatted which lacks some features that generally are used (like sym-links).

One way to make some space to internal flash is to delete documentation pdf's and move all of your own files to sd-card.

Duke Nukem 3D is a good example of an application/game that asks you where you want the files installed. It is not a shortcut, it's the whole thing. I have Duke Nukem installed on my microSD card, so it is possible, yes. I also installed Debian I think it's called, it came with Open Office, Firefox (Iceweasel), Gimp and all other things, this also asked me what location to install.

I don't see why someone can't prompt this message up everytime the N810 tries to install a file. If this cannot be done, I will have to do some of the ways suggested here, but it seems like such a pain to do.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Duke Nukem 3D is a good example of an application/game that asks you where you want the files installed.
Some games, such as that one, ask where to locate their data files. The program still lives in the internal storage though.

Programs on the tablets can't run from flash memory cards that are formatted to work with Windows, as most are. Programs can use data files on those flash cards though.

Debian I think it's called, it came with Open Office, Firefox (Iceweasel), Gimp and all other things, this also asked me what location to install.
Easy Debian installs a huge data file on a flash memory card, and that data file holds all the programs it runs. It's essentially a virtual hard drive in a file, a special, roundabout trick that lets the tablets do some things they otherwise couldn't. The programs that make up Easy Debian itself and pull off the trick though, they live in the internal storage.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
The issue I'm having is space, I don't care if the program lives in the internal memory, providing most of it's files (the large ones) are stored elsewhere.

I'm beginning to hate Linux lol

Tags
applications, memory, n810