PDA

View Full Version : [ANNOUNCEMENT] Whatsup on Jolla [UPDATED 29-03-2016]

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

coderus
2016-01-16, 20:11
Hi,
I just noticed that I missed a message as well yesterday, coming from an android user. The user said one tick was shown, i.e. not delivered to the mobile (I think). I didn't get any notification. Here are some excerpts from the log, it seems to have something to do with encryption:

<message from="xxx@s.whatsapp.net" id="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" notify="Someone" t="1452872879" type="text">
<enc type="pkmsg" v="1">
(some encrypted characters following)
Encoding message from xxx@s.whatsapp.net
OUTGOING:
<receipt id="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" to="xxx@s.whatsapp.net" type="error">
<error type="plaintext-only">
</error>
</receipt>

I did some tests yesterday with another phone running android whatsapp, normally the message seems to be re-sent in plaintext by the other phone when my mobile sends this plaintext-only error message, but in this case it didn't.
I don't think my phone was offline at that time, there are no notifications that it went only shortly before getting that message.

If more information or more excerpts from the logfile are needed, please PM me.

someone just need to implement e2e encryptioin to whatsup.

Keeper of the Keys
2016-01-16, 20:32
Whatsup is just a native client of WhatsApp.
So if WhatsApp shares it with Facebook, then there is nothing that Whatsup can do about that.

It seems I didn't frame my question properly, Mitakuuluu used to not automatically upload your contacts to Whatsapp to see who existed and who didn't, as far as I can tell Whatsup does.

1. Am I correct in this observation?

2. Can I control this very undesirable behavior?

As a side note it would be very much appreciated by people like me that this behavior was either mentioned as a warning in the pages explaining about the program or that before it does the act it asks "may I" and if the answer is "no" and it absolutely has to be "yes" to be able to function, quit the application.....

MoritzJT
2016-01-17, 13:44
Do we have any indicator at all whether the encryption implementation is being worked at ( for WhatsUp) or are we in the dark, thus should rely on Android WhatsApp!?

Keeper of the Keys
2016-01-19, 18:55
Any chance someone in the know can answer my question above?

OT: If I use the android version I can Jolla provides me with the control to ban it from accessing my contacts correct?

duesselschorsch
2016-01-19, 19:19
Any chance someone in the know can answer my question above?

OT: If I use the android version I can Jolla provides me with the control to ban it from accessing my contacts correct?

AFAIK WhatsUp shares all your contacts with Whatsapp, yes, no way to choose (like it was in in Mitakuuluuu) which contacts to share.

And yes, you can ban Android from accessing your contacts, but then the Whatsapp application won't start (I just tried it out on the latest early access 2.0.1.7 SailfishOS)

carepack
2016-01-20, 07:27
I was banned in wa. So here is the way I solved it. Maybe useful for others.

Recommendation:

you already got wu installed and the config file is still there.

Got you're account unbanned by wa support.
Install regular whatsapp and register your phone.
then quit the application (closing like any other android application)
download from openrepos aliendalvik-superuser by coderus
search via google for "passwordextractor apk smorra"
install the application.
run the application
grant root access
take the given password and enter it into wu config.

AND THEN UNINSTALL ANDROID WHATSAPP TO PREVENT TRYIN TO ACCESS WITH MULTIPLE CLIENTS

Maybe this helps somebody. For me the advantage was that the register process is made by offical wa (so no uncertainty like usin wart). Was afraid to get banned immedeately again.

ahoy

richdb
2016-01-20, 17:17
Registration not working anymore. Message old version. I am using the latest Whatsup. 0.2.4. Can it be fixed soon?

carepack
2016-01-20, 17:21
Registration not working anymore. Message old version. I am using the latest Whatsup. 0.2.4. Can it be fixed soon?

look at the post abive yours to get wu registered. and it will be fixed when the anonymous guys are still able to continue theire work...

until then -> patience

ahoy

richdb
2016-01-20, 18:29
I will, just asking

ThomasAH
2016-01-21, 08:35
Just posting to add/confirm that for me whatsup (v.0.2-4) is also suffering from the 'not receiving all messages from iPhone users' error. This started to happen last week.

tvicol
2016-01-21, 08:43
someone just need to implement e2e encryptioin to whatsup.

What about to help Cepi ?

richdb
2016-01-21, 13:54
look at the post abive yours to get wu registered. and it will be fixed when the anonymous guys are still able to continue theire work...

until then -> patience

ahoy

The password in settings -> privacy??
Did not work. Type the password, but nothing happend.
So have to wait for a new version of WhatsUp.

till
2016-01-22, 14:01
The password in settings -> privacy??
Did not work. Type the password, but nothing happend.
So have to wait for a new version of WhatsUp.

no, the password in the file /home/nemo/.config/cepiperez/whatsup.conf.
afaik settings->privacy is a different password used to secure your acccount by using your number + password for authentification instead of just your number

richdb
2016-01-22, 15:30
Still not work :(

carepack
2016-01-22, 15:43
Still not work :(

you already got wu up and running?
in password extractor look accurate on the password. sometimes it's spanned over multiple lines. In my case the sign was = and I thought it's not a part of the password.

take this pw an put it in the wu config file. the line should look like the following:

password="you'repassword"

If you have registered via wa it should still working

richdb
2016-01-22, 19:09
Will try is again. Yes wu see my account, only it cannot connect. And after a while only option is to register again. Did the password in the config file, but still no connection.

Update:
What I did was edit the file and then open wu, it did not work.
Then I remove wu, edit the file and then install wu. If I then open wu it connect and work!!!
Thank you all for the help.

Kuivahuikka
2016-01-23, 01:08
Can't connect to whatsup, it just says "Error". People using the harmattan version have the same problem. Could this be a ban wave for using an unofficial client, like what happened with Mitäkuuluu?

kibet85
2016-01-23, 01:13
mine too..cant connect...til it gets an update..its eol for whatsup...

MoritzJT
2016-01-23, 01:32
I'm wondering if it would be wise to disconnect WhatsUp for now instead of leaving it running - risking a ban. Maybe we won't get any updated version anytime soon (it will require implementing encryption => libaxolotl etc.) and Cepi has no PC nor a Phone. We can't rely on him right now, he relies on us! Then again it's sad there never was a joint effort between him and coderus (for reasons!)

I can't risk another ban, it'd be my third and I doubt WA Support will tolerate another sidestep on my behalf.

So far let's hope we get some good news soon and let's check out how to help Cepi again!

HtheB
2016-01-23, 01:37
Forest cat, soon to be incoming! (I hope)

MoritzJT
2016-01-23, 02:33
Well in that case... Brace yourselves! I'm thrilled now, because of you. Don't rely on hope, always work in its favour :D

Gabriel85
2016-01-23, 02:55
I have the same problem of access ... Just hope that our good friend Perez help us out of this anxiety ....:confused:

ganpat
2016-01-23, 04:59
too bad, i restarted my jolla... whatsup is not connecting anymore..... hope new version is released soon

coderus
2016-01-23, 05:46
Latest android whatsapp is now sending data to facebook. All the data. Scary thing. After making whatsapp free they can do anything they want, because you no more paying for service and have no any rights and can't officially complain anymore.
I personally moved to Telegram and dont want to touch Whatsapp anymore. It is not worth users attention.

nieldk
2016-01-23, 06:43
Latest android whatsapp is now sending data to facebook. All the data. Scary thing. After making whatsapp free they can do anything they want, because you no more paying for service and have no any rights and can't officially complain anymore.
I personally moved to Telegram and dont want to touch Whatsapp anymore. It is not worth users attention.

Scarry and enough to not support that crap. Agree.
But, no, they cant do what ever they want with your (yes, YOUR) data.
At least EU have coming regulations to prevent that. That is one reason why US is no longer "safe harbour" in EU.
Penalties can be , so far, 4% of a companys total turnover.

http://www.scmagazineuk.com/breaking-news-eu-agrees-4-fines-for-breaching-data-protection-regulations/article/460046/

HtheB
2016-01-23, 06:54
I asked one of the Facebook developers about this, and this was his reply:

[07:40] let me tell you two things
[07:40] 1) WA is separate - they're independent and we don't control what they do
[07:41] 2) as a company, we try to keep the least amount of data per user. remember that storage and bandwidth costs money

nieldk
2016-01-23, 06:57

I guess he didn't define "minimum".
Sorry. I am pretty sure minimum=all.

Here is a screenshot of what is recieved when you ask for a download of your profile, before deleting FB account.
Messages, events, posts, wall, information, friends, videos, pictures et all is saved.

nieldk
2016-01-23, 08:35
Another security concern around FB.
Someone created an account using my wife's mail.
Well, bastards, You used her mail, so I now have control.
Facebook is crap. Just saying.

rob_kouw
2016-01-23, 08:39
Whatsup v0.2-4 doesn't work any more. I could not connect this morning, then I needed to registrate again.
Registration error. Reason: Server response was: old_version.

tetris11_
2016-01-23, 09:11
yup same boat... given the security concerns and 'ease of access' it makes sense to jump ship at this point. Is there *anyone* working on a Telegram client?

cvp
2016-01-23, 09:16
cant find a apk for this "passwordextractor apk smorra" - can some one upload it for me?

and the pw.apk (from https://github.com/venomous0x/WhatsAPI/issues/983) tell me this info: Couldn't read Whatsapp files. Are you root?

Yes, iam on root. Superuser ask me for root. Root Checker tell me i have root. But the app didnt ask me for root rights... give me only the one message if i push on the extract button.

yup same boat... given the security concerns and 'ease of access' it makes sense to jump ship at this point. Is there *anyone* working on a Telegram client?

Telegram looks nice... but there use server in US.... dont know why.

dameceno
2016-01-23, 10:21
HI
Here is the link to the file, I haven't tried the procedure myself but I can confirm my whatsup stopped connecting to the server yesterday after i made a voice call couldn't return to the app as it lost connectivity. I second testimony of the success of this procedure would be nice.
https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B5wZACqgF4VBdUNHdW9maVNvLVE&export=download
You are so welcome as I know how tedious getting this very file was for me

2016-01-23, 10:31
the file could be easily downloaded from aptoide :) anyway i haven't tryied this method yet...really hate to use whatsapp from android but also don't want to risk to get banned again...

cvp
2016-01-23, 10:36
HI
Here is the link to the file, I haven't tried the procedure myself but I can confirm my whatsup stopped connecting to the server yesterday after i made a voice call couldn't return to the app as it lost connectivity. I second testimony of the success of this procedure would be nice.
https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B5wZACqgF4VBdUNHdW9maVNvLVE&export=download
You are so welcome as I know how tedious getting this very file was for me

thanks for the link..... it looks same like pw.apk . Push on Extract tell me again Are you root? same problem. Is it possible to add manuelly the App to Superuser ?

carepack
2016-01-23, 10:39
it seems that in the latest wa version they implemented some stuff to share wa data to facebook. Since this morning my wu can't also connect and i think until somebody is able to work again on this project we have less chances to fix this. anyway I smsed all my contacts that they not longer reach me via whatapp(up). If I have to use an android app then definetely not whatsapp. signal then. the only advantage for me usin whatsapp(up) was the native client. It's everytime painful to use android apps on sailfish with the nice ui. So then signal is my choice. Anybody interested to start a collaboration for a native signal app? I saw that the ubuntu phone already have one with go and qml stuff. What are the experienced users / devs thinking?

coderus
2016-01-23, 10:41

when you no more costumer, company is making money on your data, which costs lot more than couple of dollars per year.

eekkelund
2016-01-23, 10:45
Dax (http://talk.maemo.org/member.php?u=71512) has made this awesome native telegram client called Sailorgram.
https://openrepos.net/content/dax/sailorgram

carepack
2016-01-23, 10:47
why should telegram beein better than whatsapp?

only asking because many are switching to telegram

carepack
2016-01-23, 10:49
thanks for the link..... it looks same like pw.apk . Push on Extract tell me again Are you root? same problem. Is it possible to add manuelly the App to Superuser ?

I don't know if this is longer working. lot of people got banned now. maybe only changes to wu may solve this..

foufoutos
2016-01-23, 11:02
dead too for me

cvp
2016-01-23, 11:37
Interessting. After Installation from original Whatsapp, he ask me for my phone number. i get the sms, can put my name, but after than he can not initialising and tell me connection error. Whatsup self tell me only old_version. dont know why i cant get running org whatsapp.

itdoesntmatt
2016-01-23, 11:45
But carepack you cant use neither whatsup nor whatsapp? fortunately i switched to original app few days ago.
However i am getting tired of this whatsapp-facebook policy.
Coderus,carepack where are links that show that data is sent to fb from android app? i really would like to know.
it is embarassing, but they spent billion of dollars on it, isnt difficult to believe. But they have implemented textsecure e2e method, dont they? how is possible to steal data encrypted?

dameceno
2016-01-23, 11:52

Super su doesn't support the notification for su apps request on sailfish,so you have to set it to allow in order for the app to get root access

cvp
2016-01-23, 11:58
thanks i try it. Same Info, no Whatsapp files. Than i think whatsapp is not 100% installed. I deinstall whatsapp and reinstall, try to regist, but get on the ende the error message: "Connection not impossible. Please try later"

MoritzJT
2016-01-23, 12:11
You must open both Superuser app AND the app requesting root permissions. Only then the request works as intended.

carepack
2016-01-23, 12:29
You must open both Superuser app AND the app requesting root permissions. Only then the request works as intended.

yes, but password is only present when succesfully registerd. iiuc registerig wa is making problems

dameceno
2016-01-23, 12:35
Will try is again. Yes wu see my account, only it cannot connect. And after a while only option is to register again. Did the password in the config file, but still no connection.

Update:
What I did was edit the file and then open wu, it did not work.
Then I remove wu, edit the file and then install wu. If I then open wu it connect and work!!!
Thank you all for the help.

Can you confirm yours is still active? Tried your procedure, but whatsup still doesn't connect. Connected yesterday evening without the hack but since then it fails to connect

carepack
2016-01-23, 12:36
But carepack you cant use neither whatsup nor whatsapp? fortunately i switched to original app few days ago.
However i am getting tired of this whatsapp-facebook policy.
Coderus,carepack where are links that show that data is sent to fb from android app? i really would like to know.
it is embarassing, but they spent billion of dollars on it, isnt difficult to believe. But they have implemented textsecure e2e method, dont they? how is possible to steal data encrypted?

maybe wa got general problems atm. I don't know. Only know that since tonight wu is not longer working. haven't tried to reregister via wa and enter the credentials because I think this make no sense.

yes the e2e encryption is implemented. But only for the android client (my last info I get about this). Second is that knowbody know (perhaps someone does) when and how the encryption is getting used. However they can read you're text or not you sending to contacts they are still gettin the metadata. With which person and how often do you have a conversation and such things. With this nice info's they want to improve you're experience ;)

More suggestion for friends and other crap I think

further info's:
http://www.cultofandroid.com/78326/whatsapp-to-begin-sharing-your-data-with-facebook/

richdb
2016-01-23, 12:44
Same here. Wu not work anymore since this morning. End of wu? I really hate those big companies more and more.

fin2cv
2016-01-23, 12:54
Whatsup doesn't work here either..

jimmy neutron
2016-01-23, 15:57
I am going to stick to SailorGram(looks really nice)... Sick off these F**king Companies... I hope we can get a nice native securetext client... #
http://data.whicdn.com/images/7762471/large.jpg

Keeper of the Keys
2016-01-23, 17:24
I don't remember who said it but it's so true with these things:
"If you're not paying for it; You're the product".

(Of course less true with OSS).

swordfish
2016-01-23, 17:35
Is there a native Telegram or TextSecure client for Sailfish?

itdoesntmatt
2016-01-23, 17:37
for telegram you can use sailorgram by dax. for textsecure is not native, but i opened a thread to raise the interest about this. you could join us.

explit
2016-01-23, 23:34
for telegram you can use sailorgram by dax. for textsecure is not native, but i opened a thread to raise the interest about this. you could join us.
I also use Sailorgram. It has some bugs, but it works. First install Android Telegram, it will sync your contacts. Afterwards the contacts will be shown in Sailorgram. After this Android Telegram can be deleted....

HtheB
2016-01-24, 02:38
Teaser time!

http://i.imgur.com/hN03eeh.png

Soon..........

Keeper of the Keys
2016-01-24, 07:21
I hope an option to shield contacts from WA/FB will also make it in...?

cvp
2016-01-24, 09:30
cool news :)

and yes, FB shield for contacts and other stuff will be welcome

Keeper of the Keys
2016-01-24, 09:50
For existing users the ship has more or less sailed probably (except for non-wa contacts they add now), but allowing us (potential new users) to choose whether or not the contacts db will be scanned would be a very decent feature.

NASDAQ
2016-01-24, 11:31
Teaser time!
Soon..........

looks promising!

But I think I will switch completely to telegram... there are just 4 people in my contactlist left, which I have to convince to switch too. So maybe: Goodbye Whatsapp forever! ;)

WU is great, but due to the policy of FB and the power of them to change anything they want, anytime they want, we are always behind them and it is very frustrating to see, that such great people like Cepi and the other guys, who work on WU, do their best, but can't get ahead of these FB-A*******...

HtheB
2016-01-24, 12:20
looks promising!

But I think I will switch completely to telegram... there are just 4 people in my contactlist left, which I have to convince to switch too. So maybe: Goodbye Whatsapp forever! ;)

WU is great, but due to the policy of FB and the power of them to change anything they want, anytime they want, we are always behind them and it is very frustrating to see, that such great people like Cepi and the other guys, who work on WU, do their best, but can't get ahead of these FB-A*******...

You're free to use whatever you want.
Too bad not everybody has this option to switch.
For me, myself... I can't cocnvinve over a hundred users to Telegram... Because mainly they already use Facebook themselfs...

explit
2016-01-24, 14:17
looks promising!

6 month before i had 4 Telegram contacts, now i have 54. It is much less then the amount of my WA Contacts (250), but i have also switched completly. WA suxxx!

DrYak
2016-01-24, 20:40
Teaser time!
Soon..........

Did the Forest Cat that you randomly encountered in forest and who showed you this surprising screen (of which we of course have no idea what it could be about) tell you..

- ..how far until a download link magically pops-up here (without anyone having an idea why) ?

- ..and speaking of un-identified animals did the Forest Cat manage to invite (https://github.com/WhisperSystems/libaxolotl-c) an Axolotl (https://github.com/CODeRUS/libaxolotl) or not yet ?

Thanks to no one in particular as nobody is listening to us, I just felt like wanting to thank some anonymous trees I've met in the forest.

;-)

richdb
2016-01-25, 07:56
Even the android WA client sucks, More people have the problem that messages arrives late (after 2 or 3 hours)? Not useable this way.
And i wish all my contacts moved to Telegram, but they don't, I ask so many times.

pett
2016-01-25, 08:32
Even the android WA client sucks, More people have the problem that messages arrives late (after 2 or 3 hours)? Not useable this way.
And i wish all my contacts moved to Telegram, but they don't, I ask so many times.

Not that telegram works perfectly, has sometimes the same issues

2016-01-25, 09:16
Not that telegram works perfectly, has sometimes the same issues

talked with sailorgram dev...there are some updates coming with lot of work under the hood ;)

tetris11_
2016-01-25, 09:24
6 month before i had 4 Telegram contacts, now i have 54. It is much less then the amount of my WA Contacts (250), but i have also switched completly. WA suxxx!

I started writing a bug report to Dax about SailorGram not detecting my contact list. Upon installing the Android version, I stopped the report because it was then that I realised literally 0 of my contacts use Telegram.

This will be a long transition ...

gaelic
2016-01-25, 10:19
I don't understand why I should switch from the "Devil" aka Whatsapp to the "Beelzebub" aka Telegram.
Both systems have been and are criticised, Telegram for example for the obscure Encryption, centralized non open Servers and strong ties to russian VK.

If I were to switch it must be a really good system like Textsecure as it is a lot of effort to bring my contacts to switch as well. I don't wanna do that more than one time.

tetris11_
2016-01-25, 10:45
well it's been said a few times - but the general summary is that whatsapp is unreliable, the telegram guy isnt as evil as everyone makes out, and textsecure/signal is too hard to port over.

I mean they're all reasonably iffy, but Telegram seems to be the one that works

itdoesntmatt
2016-01-25, 10:47
why not signal? is it more difficult to port?

carepack
2016-01-25, 10:56
@gaelic
right.

@testri11_
?????
What's the prob?
-libaxolotl was ported by coderus. so we have them
-signal client is available for ubuntu phone

so a experienced delevoper can / could implement this. I doesn't say it's easy. But we have a lot of requirements. Ubuntu is usin qml and go. Qml is used by sailfish also.

So why too hard to port over?

a lot of non serious informations are in this thread!

the telegram guy isnt as evil as everyone makes out
then code it youreself...

pagis
2016-01-25, 11:01
I don't understand why I should switch from the "Devil" aka Whatsapp to the "Beelzebub" aka Telegram.
Both systems have been and are criticised, Telegram for example for the obscure Encryption, centralized non open Servers and strong ties to russian VK.

If I were to switch it must be a really good system like Textsecure as it is a lot of effort to bring my contacts to switch as well. I don't wanna do that more than one time.

The reality is that WA does not have an API open for 3dr party clients, they actually fight them, e.g. developers were forced to abandon those projects. At the same time WA is not interested to provide us a native WA client for SFOS.

Telegram is different, sailorgram is a native client telegram app, the app is very active at the moment and getting better, and it is not threatened by telegram.

Hopefully we might have more native IM clients for Textsecutre, Threema, etc.

gaelic
2016-01-25, 11:41
The reality is that WA does not have an API open for 3dr party clients, they actually fight them, e.g. developers were forced to abandon those projects. At the same time WA is not interested to provide us a native WA client for SFOS.

True, but i was not talking about the API, the drawbacks with telegram are there. It is slightly better than WA, but still awful compared to Textsecure.

kneeli
2016-01-25, 11:50
well it's been said a few times - but the general summary is that whatsapp is unreliable, the telegram guy isnt as evil as everyone makes out, and textsecure/signal is too hard to port over.

I mean they're all reasonably iffy, but Telegram seems to be the one that works

I do not need anything else but XMPP, but folks, all people I do know, even those I do not know yet, just use WA.

So takling about telegram does not help at all here. Using android nativ wa is not an alternative for me, just WU or nothing of these idiot clients.

HtheB
2016-01-25, 13:05
Another update time guys!

Download Whatsup0.2-6 (http://www75.zippyshare.com/v/2gENYCLT/file.html)
(Click on the orange DOWNLOAD NOW button)

Or on OpenRepos.net
https://openrepos.net/content/htheb/whatsup-sailfish-os

Changelog:
- Fixed connection problems
- Fixed registration

Special thanks goes to ceene (http://talk.maemo.org/member.php?u=70262) for this release!

Have fun!

Don't forget to donate in-app if you like the update (and if you would love that Whatsup is still maintained :) )

DrYak
2016-01-25, 13:17
Well there's always Matrix (https://matrix.org/) as a better alternative to WhatsApp and Telegram if you find those too much Devil & Beelzebub.
- Matrix is opensource (just like Telegram, not like WhatsApp),
- Marix uses the more stable and proven Axolotl cryptography (like WhatsApp, OpenSecure, etc. not like Telegram's own home-made stuff)
- Matrix doesn't require a new handle, but you can find users based on the coordinates (Number, Facebook ID, etc.) that you already know (unlike XMPP/Jabber. A bit like phone numbers help WhatsApp)
- Matrix servers are opensource too and federated (unlike Telegram. But like IRC and XMPP)
Matrix wants to basically be the "next gen" XMPP/Jabber (with easier search of contacts, support for distributed message log, modern encryption, and some SPAM prevention).

If WhatsApp manage to pisses their users with the whole "Now it's free thanks to sponsored content" fiasco, maybe it's a potential successor, next to Telegram.

Telegram is different, sailorgram is a native client telegram app, the app is very active at the moment and getting better, and it is not threatened by telegram.

Telegram has opensource their client code. Only their servers are proprietary.
So of course it's way easier to develop for it, rather than getting sued into oblivion as soon as look in the general direction of its protocol - in the case of WhatsApp.

(That's why we're stuck waiting for links magically appearing in this thread, where also some forest cats wander. Not that any of us forum knows anything about those cats...)

Speaking of which cats: thank you for your work. Not that we know anything of it.

NASDAQ
2016-01-25, 13:33
Great! :D
Just one Question: The e2e-encryption-problem with iPhone users wasn't solved, or was it? No complaint, just asking.

HtheB
2016-01-25, 14:21
Great! :D
Just one Question: The e2e-encryption-problem with iPhone users wasn't solved, or was it? No complaint, just asking.

It MIGHT solve it, but it's not been tested.

NASDAQ
2016-01-25, 14:45
Unfortunately it doesn't solve it. Main point is, we got connection!

kneeli
2016-01-25, 16:21
Thanks!

Don't forget to donate

done :-)

DrYak
2016-01-25, 17:02
Another update time guys!
(...)
Don't forget to donate in-app if you like the update (and if you would love that Whatsup is still maintained :) )

Thanks for the work to the forest cats.
I'll send some thuna fish to the cats as soon as possible...

Or on OpenRepos.net

You mean, like a *real* download on a *public* website that is integrated with warehouse/zypper/other package manager?
What did happen? The WA lawyers are still on vacation?
Or did Facebook calm them down once they took WA over ?

Mikkosssss
2016-01-25, 17:23
Group chat needed bit time to start working.
First I didint get messages at all, then from one person and then from all.

Will donate too when I get some funds to my paypal account.

richdb
2016-01-25, 17:42
Group chat needed bit time to start working.
First I didint get messages at all, then from one person and then from all.

Will donate too when I get some funds to my paypal account.

Are you sure? And how long waiting? i got the idea I not get any message from a group. I see that someone is typing but not see the message they send.
First thought that I cannot see any message from IPhones in the group.

Mikkosssss
2016-01-25, 17:58
Are you sure? And how long waiting? i got the idea I not get any message from a group. I see that someone is typing but not see the message they send.
First thought that I cannot see any message from IPhones in the group.

I rebooted once and then restarted client bit after. Both friends in chat use android.
Just randomly started getting messages from another friend after few messages.

richdb
2016-01-25, 18:02
Got more people with the same behaviour. You get messages in a group, but after you type a message yourself. After that you not get any message in that group. Looks like a bug.

Wallace
2016-01-25, 18:09
Is it still so that if you used Android WA you can not cange to this?

richdb
2016-01-25, 18:46

Change to what? Wu?

HtheB
2016-01-25, 19:33

You could yes

richdb
2016-01-25, 20:03
@HtheB is that group behaviour a bug?

stocco
2016-01-25, 20:25
Muito obrigado HtheB. Tenho muito contatos no Whatsapp que dificilmente iram usar Telegram.

Wallace
2016-01-25, 20:30
You could yes

Ok, i remember reading from this tread that if you changed to Android WA you can not change back. (Or was it back to Mitakuuluu?) Because encryption?

HtheB
2016-01-25, 20:54
Ok, i remember reading from this tread that if you changed to Android WA you can not change back. (Or was it back to Mitakuuluu?) Because encryption?

There is a workaround implemented.
But we don't know for how long this will last at the moment.

Lets hope that e2e encryption will be implemented soon.

Also, hope that the group bug would be solved as well, (to not getting banned when adding users to the group)

MoritzJT
2016-01-25, 21:58
Well there's always Matrix (https://matrix.org/) as a better alternative to WhatsApp and Telegram if you find those too much Devil & Beelzebub.
- Matrix is opensource (just like Telegram, not like WhatsApp),
- Marix uses the more stable and proven Axolotl cryptography (like WhatsApp, OpenSecure, etc. not like Telegram's own home-made stuff)
- Matrix doesn't require a new handle, but you can find users based on the coordinates (Number, Facebook ID, etc.) that you already know (unlike XMPP/Jabber. A bit like phone numbers help WhatsApp)
- Matrix servers are opensource too and federated (unlike Telegram. But like IRC and XMPP)
Matrix wants to basically be the "next gen" XMPP/Jabber (with easier search of contacts, support for distributed message log, modern encryption, and some SPAM prevention).

If WhatsApp manage to pisses their users with the whole "Now it's free thanks to sponsored content" fiasco, maybe it's a potential successor, next to Telegram.

Telegram has opensource their client code. Only their servers are proprietary.
So of course it's way easier to develop for it, rather than getting sued into oblivion as soon as look in the general direction of its protocol - in the case of WhatsApp.

(That's why we're stuck waiting for links magically appearing in this thread, where also some forest cats wander. Not that any of us forum knows anything about those cats...)

Speaking of which cats: thank you for your work. Not that we know anything of it.

Well look at that: https://matrix.org/blog/project/tensor/

It seems there is a SailfishOS Client in the works already?

BTT

I wonder why the feature in WhatsUp to selectively deny read messages has been disabled in the UI. You can still set it in the configuration files and it will work, but the pulleymenu entry is defective.

richdb
2016-01-25, 23:01
We did some research and make this conclusion. Messages in groups from WA to WU are not displayed in WU. If a message in a group is send from WU to WU it is displayed. And also from WU to WA. So the problem is messages in groups from WA to WU.

Tualatin
2016-01-26, 05:55
I think I will wait for more stable version :)

cvp
2016-01-26, 06:18
i have no Problems with the new version. only one trink is, that i let me kick out from all groups chat and re add into it.

Tualatin
2016-01-26, 06:21
i have no Problems with the new version. only one trink is, that i let me kick out from all groups chat and re add into it.

I'm using whatsup mostly for groups. What about complains of users that don't get messages from other members in group if it is android or iphone?

richdb
2016-01-26, 06:40
I'm using whatsup mostly for groups. What about complains of users that don't get messages from other members in group if it is android or iphone?

That is a bug, did some research with other Jolla users yesterday. I have the idea they working on it right now (or I hope so)

richdb
2016-01-26, 12:55
Did some more research. It looks like if you get invited to a group in WU you can read the messages from the group creator that is using android or ios. But messages from other android or ios users are not showing in WU.

update:
Looks it is working random? In an other new group we see the messages from all WA users. Excisting groups I see no message from WA users and some groups only see the messages of the WA group creator.

richdb
2016-01-26, 21:22
Ok, found the problem. In some groups the messages are send encrypted. The message start with: <enc type="skmsg" v="2"> followed by the encrypted message. WU cannot decrypt this message, so the user not see any new message. In other groups the messages are send in plain text. Only I have no idea why in some groups the messages are encrypted and in some groups not.

explit
2016-01-26, 22:09

Your message has some truth, but only some....
I see much more + than - in Telegram:
The Client API is open, so the guys would not ban me, if i use Sailorgram.
I have Telegram on my Nokia N900, on my Jolla, on my ThinkPad Tablet (Android 4.1.1)
and my ThinkPad T420 (Debian 8.2)

All Apps with the same account.
As an Ukrainian Citizen living in Berlin / Germany i try to boykott any russian Apps and Services incl. VK.
The both guys who own Telegram are russians, but the company is a german one.
As i know, one of the Durov-Brothers wrote the Backend for VK, but Telegram is not accociated with VK and Russia financially and tecnically (IMHO)

From my 550 Contacts, 250 use WA, and now approx. 60 Telegram. This is a right direction. Signal / Threema and others: Only about 5 contacts....

So for me the Telegram is much less evil than WA / Facebook.
Only the fact, that they block numbers / ban users is one point not to usem them.....

tetris11_
2016-01-27, 00:29
WU related stuff:

a) thanks for getting this up and running again!

b) how do onread notifications work in Sailfish? If I see a message later in general notifications, does it count as 'read'? If I'm doing something else on the phone and a message pops up at the top and scrolls all the way, does that count as 'read'? Or is a message only read when WU UI is open?

Hoping it's last one haha...

CepiPerez
2016-01-27, 00:49
It's read only when you open the conversation

MoritzJT
2016-01-27, 01:02
Can we get the old feature back soon Cepi? ;-) I loved that selective denial of read messages for folks that don't deserve it because it's abused in communication.

gaelic
2016-01-27, 06:03
Hey there.

WU working great again.
One question: is it possible to change the color of the notifications; in detail: group notifications: they are green as a missed call which is confusing.

richdb
2016-01-27, 08:24
Nobody else has group problems? Is the problem I used this number with official android app before? If so, can this be fixed to drop your WA account with the official android app. Then you will be removed from the WA databases and all groups. And after that start a new account with WU?

enne30
2016-01-27, 10:05
Nobody else has group problems? Is the problem I used this number with official android app before? If so, can this be fixed to drop your WA account with the official android app. Then you will be removed from the WA databases and all groups. And after that start a new account with WU?

have a look to this post (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1496531&postcount=1284)and try if it works on WU..

richdb
2016-01-27, 10:20
have a look to this post (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1496531&postcount=1284)and try if it works on WU..

Ok, will try this. Thx!!

lunatix
2016-01-27, 10:33
I have the same issues of non-displayed messages in group conversation. It happens on 2 different groups, it seems that I just receive the messages from the group administrator (1 with Android and 1 with iOS).

I'll be happy to find a workaround. Now that's WU is back on openrepos, maybe we'll have more help from the community!

tetris11_
2016-01-27, 15:36

Can confirm this works! Takes a few tries in DM for a message to come through, but once it does - messages start coming in from that person in all chats.

NASDAQ
2016-01-27, 16:17
Just as information: I'm having same issues with group-chat-messages. Plus the e2e-encryption bug...

Hope there is someone working on this. Just don't want to switch to android-version...:eek:

Keeper of the Keys
2016-01-27, 17:14
In the new version can I choose to not sync my contacts with Whatsapp servers?

(Also I started looking at Signal a bit, their desktop client uses mostly C and javascript so that should be portable to SFOS)

richdb
2016-01-27, 18:46
Can confirm this works! Takes a few tries in DM for a message to come through, but once it does - messages start coming in from that person in all chats.

Also can confirm that this works. Only with big groups it is a lot of work to DM everybody. Still hope this is a bug and can be fixed.

enne30
2016-01-28, 06:21
Also can confirm that this works. Only with big groups it is a lot of work to DM everybody. Still hope this is a bug and can be fixed.

Not really a bug, but a WA feature (encryption) not yet implemented in Yappary/WU ... Probably it will be available in the future (I hope soon)

richdb
2016-01-28, 06:43
Not really a bug, but a WA feature (encryption) not yet implemented in Yappary/WU ... Probably it will be available in the future (I hope soon)

Ok, but why is encryption default on in groups? And how does it work with official clients like the S40? They also not have encryption.

enne30
2016-01-28, 06:55
Ok, but why is encryption default on in groups? And how does it work with official clients like the S40? They also not have encryption.

I think about 2 days ago happened some WA update (our clients indeed needed version change).. After this update suddenly Yappari and WU users (Sailfish/Harmattan) started to have this behaviour..
Honestly I don't know how S40 version handles that (or in worst case if they implemented encryption in S40 too and work-around simply triggers a deprecated feature of WA protocol: this would be really a bad thing, meaning time is running out to implement encryption :( )

herrickmky
2016-01-28, 10:27
I found an encrypted message from the log. Anyway to decrypt it?

dameceno
2016-01-28, 12:27
WU related stuff:

a) thanks for getting this up and running again!

b) how do onread notifications work in Sailfish? If I see a message later in general notifications, does it count as 'read'? If I'm doing something else on the phone and a message pops up at the top and scrolls all the way, does that count as 'read'? Or is a message only read when WU UI is open?

Hoping it's last one haha...

When you send a message using your Whatsapp client, the red dot is for not yet sent, yellow for sent but not received yet, green is for recieved but not yet read, blue is for read. so no when a message arrives as a notification and you are not in the chat window of the one that sent it on Whatsup it is counted as received not read, once you open your Whatsup and the chat window with the sender, then it is read.

dameceno
2016-01-28, 12:30
It's read only when you open the conversation

Nice to see you again Cepi, have you been able to replace your stolen device?

foufoutos
2016-01-28, 14:06
so im back to android version untill the group message fix :(

2016-01-28, 17:10
hope to have a fix soon too... :) apart from that app is working really good :)

Alley
2016-01-28, 22:54
This is getting ridiculous. While I love sfos i damn hate this mouse game with whatsapp.

tetris11_
2016-01-29, 13:32
slightly random question, but anyone know any good regex for grabbing sender and message info?

I've been going through the whatsup-log.txt to see what messages I may be missing, but the xml makes my head spin.

Edit: nvm, I just use this to check

paste -d, -s whatsup-log.txt | grep -oP '<message from.*?(</message>|</error>)' | less -S

richdb
2016-01-30, 10:45
This is getting ridiculous. While I love sfos i damn hate this mouse game with whatsapp.

Talk to the creators of WA aka Facebook, they made this mouse game. They can make WU an official client, but they don't. And of course if WA never will be open it is better that people choose for alternatives like for example Telegram. But 95% of my contacts are using WA, and if I talk about alternatives they look at you like .... Huh? What? Why? Freedom?

So as long I need WA, I hope the creators of WU still can continue there amazing job.

Tualatin
2016-02-03, 06:58
Thank you for further development! I just wanted to say that I don't get messages from Windows Phone Nokia 930 at all. Only images.
And messaging in private does not fix group chat bug permanently. I have to ask some members to private chat me everyday to see their messages in group chat.

Waiting for e2e implementing in future releases :)

kneeli
2016-02-04, 06:52
I didn't received a message today from a iPhone user. his phone indicates that i did not read the message...but who cares for iphone users :-)

Tarpa
2016-02-04, 17:29
I have interesting problem. This started two days ago.Two of my friends can't send me a normal textmessage. But message with picture with or without text works well. My messages to them work normal. Messages with other friends work normal too. Or I think so ;)

accumulator
2016-02-05, 17:03
ok AGAIN it seems we're off whatsapp with whatsup. Or is there a network outage?

Edit: seems my problem was not related to whatsup..

Tarpa
2016-02-05, 17:40
ok AGAIN it seems we're off whatsapp with whatsup. Or is there a network outage?

No, I didn't noticed that there was something network problem. Today I get one more friend who can only send me a message with picture. Still most of contacts work normal.

SKyd3R
2016-02-05, 20:24
I have a problem with audio messages. I installed Ultimate Codec Support and didn't solve it.
After that I looked for Gstreamer (bad and ugly) and I found them installed on my Jolla, I reinstalled them and I still can't listen to them.

HtheB
2016-02-05, 23:38
Guys, all the problems are being worked on...
(but don't expect a release soon, because: vacation....)

itdoesntmatt
2016-02-06, 00:19
what version of ugly and bad did u install?

SKyd3R
2016-02-06, 09:29
1.4.5-1 on both codecs

PS: have a nice vacations :)

itdoesntmatt
2016-02-06, 09:36
you have to install 0.1 version, other versions dont work with wup

SKyd3R
2016-02-06, 19:50
Thanks, but I installed gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg-extra, gst-plugins-ugly, gst-plugins-bad-extra and gst-fluendo-mp3.

It doesn't work either. I think I will reset the Jolla and try to install the audio support from the beginning, what should I install?

Thanks for all the help.

DrYak
2016-02-06, 20:16
Guys, all the problems are being worked on...
Thanks for all the work.

(but don't expect a release soon, because: vacation....)

Well, enjoy your vacations. Have a nice winter/summer (Depending on which hemisphere).

Alley
2016-02-10, 10:26
Bought a Nexus 5 to test out Sailfish on it. Ended up using CM 12.1 for 2 weeks and stuff like Ubuntu touch and Firefox os.

Looking forward into new version of Whatsup so i can move back to my Jolla :)

Cazador
2016-02-12, 02:21
Bought a Nexus 5 to test out Sailfish on it. Ended up using CM 12.1 for 2 weeks and stuff like Ubuntu touch and Firefox os.

Looking forward into new version of Whatsup so i can move back to my Jolla :)

Latest SFOS version runs great on my Nexus 5.
Try it, wu works fine too

SKD
2016-02-17, 11:08
Thank you for further development! I just wanted to say that I don't get messages from Windows Phone Nokia 930 at all. Only images.
And messaging in private does not fix group chat bug permanently. I have to ask some members to private chat me everyday to see their messages in group chat.

Waiting for e2e implementing in future releases :)

I have exactly the same problem. My parents are both using nokia 630 (Windows Phone + original WhatsApp) and about two weeks ago I noticed that I can't get their messages anymore. They see mine, though.

Tualatin
2016-02-17, 11:25
I have exactly the same problem. My parents are both using nokia 630 (Windows Phone + original WhatsApp) and about two weeks ago I noticed that I can't get their messages anymore. They see mine, though.

The only workaround is to send screenshots of text from windows devices )))

Tarpa
2016-02-17, 13:34
The only workaround is to send screenshots of text from windows devices )))

They can too send random picture and write the message under the picture. It works. Problem is not only with WP. One of my friend use iPhone 6 and can't send me a normal message.

Tualatin
2016-02-17, 20:50
They can too send random picture and write the message under the picture. It works. Problem is not only with WP. One of my friend use iPhone 6 and can't send me a normal message.

Yep, forgot about this. I am little tired of explaining to friends why should they write messages under picture, or why I am not getting some messages in chats :))))

Is there any news from Cepi? :)

richdb
2016-02-19, 12:53
Tried to register today with WU. And first message form WA was that the service was not running. The second try I got a block!!!
So do not try to register with WU anymore, it gives you directly a block.

abyzthomas
2016-02-20, 19:07
Tried to register today with WU. And first message form WA was that the service was not running. The second try I got a block!!!
So do not try to register with WU anymore, it gives you directly a block.

Got blocked also.

richdb
2016-02-23, 20:40
Today they unblck me (after some mails). Next time it will be an block forever. So no Whatsup for me anymore 😞. Forced to use the Android app.

jellyroll
2016-02-23, 21:42
Today they unblck me (after some mails). Next time it will be an block forever. So no Whatsup for me anymore 😞. Forced to use the Android app.

They really scared you off on this one. If you want to stay on linux OS you can use sfdroid to run popular social media app's made for Android. I've been using Yappari from the first release, Whatsup Harmattan/SFO, yowsup and never got banned. At this moment I'm waiting on the next Whatsup for SFO update.

tetris11_
2016-02-24, 18:35
Question: -

What's the filtering criteria for sending music tracks?

Some of my MP3s dont appear in the selection. I thought it was a permissions problem, but a+wrx didn't solve it.

I don't think it's meta data either because I stripped a few and that didn't change anything.

dameceno
2016-02-25, 13:50
HI guys, I got blocked as well, and this is the first time since I started using Wazzap way back on Harmattan. the issue I am having is that I successfully got unbanned and activated the WA after few hours, i registered WU and just as it was after I reset my device, WU connects but just freezes, not responsive and afterwards crashes, launching it again I am asked to register all over again, how do I flush whatsup form my system so I can give it a clean start? deleted the database file in .whatsup folder, deleted the config files for whatsup under .conf/cepiperez and still that happened. I thing this abnormally is what flagged my number on the whatsapp server in the first place, a lil help here please, really need to go back to whatsup and fast

fin2cv
2016-02-25, 15:16
HI guys, I got blocked as well, and this is the first time since I started using Wazzap way back on Harmattan. the issue I am having is that I successfully got unbanned and activated the WA after few hours, i registered WU and just as it was after I reset my device, WU connects but just freezes, not responsive and afterwards crashes, launching it again I am asked to register all over again, how do I flush whatsup form my system so I can give it a clean start? deleted the database file in .whatsup folder, deleted the config files for whatsup under .conf/cepiperez and still that happened. I thing this abnormally is what flagged my number on the whatsapp server in the first place, a lil help here please, really need to go back to whatsup and fast

In case you haven't tried it yet: uninstall WU, delete WU config files and database, shut down the Jolla, take of the battery for 15 mins. Then put the battery back, start Jolla and install WU. If it doesn't work, power off, take of battery again for 15 mins. Then start Jolla again. This worked for me a couple of times after WA ban with the earlier versions of WU. Good luck!

dameceno
2016-02-25, 15:31
In case you haven't tried it yet: uninstall WU, delete WU config files and database, shut down the Jolla, take of the battery for 15 mins. Then put the battery back, start Jolla and install WU. If it doesn't work, power off, take of battery again for 15 mins. Then start Jolla again. This worked for me a couple of times after WA ban with the earlier versions of WU. Good luck!

Thanks man, will definitely give it a go, Whatsapp android is like a nightmare for me, and whatsup is a most have. Am grateful for your help, thanks again for replying.

dameceno
2016-02-27, 13:36
Hi guys, there is this issue with whatsup ever since I reset my jolla after doing a clean install offing the device for some time and registering I was back on the app, but whenever I exit the app and open it again I am required to re-verify my number everytime, has anyone has this issue? this is the type of abnormally that would flag my number on their servers, a fix would be so much appreciated. thanks in advance

Wallace
2016-02-27, 13:41
Will this be a problem?

WhatsApp to end support for BlackBerry, Nokia & other older operating systems by the end of 2016

http://linkis.com/venturebeat.com/2016/OCYYx

dameceno
2016-02-27, 13:45
Will this be a problem?

WhatsApp to end support for BlackBerry, Nokia & other older operating systems by the end of 2016

http://linkis.com/venturebeat.com/2016/OCYYx

Whatsapp is becoming annoying by the day, and doing that would just damper their customer numbers, so I think this makes little sense.
I do believe Whatsup has a unique concept and can get a way to pass as an Android client which will just do the trick

HtheB
2016-02-27, 15:49
https://blog.whatsapp.com/10000617/WhatsApp-support-for-mobile-devices

Official news: WhatsApp will stop the support by the end of the year for the following platforms:

BlackBerry, including BlackBerry 10
Nokia S40
Nokia Symbian S60
Android 2.1 and Android 2.2
Windows Phone 7.1

Sad news is: Whatsup is based on S40.

paolo_3_1415926
2016-02-27, 17:09
Sad as it might be, part of me is rejoicing. First of all because I am not so fond of FB (and WA by extension); second because the smart guys behind Whatsup can now focus on better things - bringing natively Signal to Maemo/Harmattan/Jolla, for example.

2016-02-28, 01:10
Hi guys, there is this issue with whatsup ever since I reset my jolla after doing a clean install offing the device for some time and registering I was back on the app, but whenever I exit the app and open it again I am required to re-verify my number everytime, has anyone has this issue? this is the type of abnormally that would flag my number on their servers, a fix would be so much appreciated. thanks in advance you need to enter in a filemanager and delete the cepiperez folder which is inside the config folder...this will solve your issue :)

PatsJolla
2016-02-28, 13:52
So now that soon our S40 protocol support dies what can we do?

i would switch from Whatsapp immediately but if i'm the only one in the other chat programs it's useless.
using the android version is awful..compared to whatsup or mitakuulu it feels like 90s internet.

jellyroll
2016-02-28, 16:11
So now that soon our S40 protocol support dies what can we do?

i would switch from Whatsapp immediately but if i'm the only one in the other chat programs it's useless.
using the android version is awful..compared to whatsup or mitakuulu it feels like 90s internet.

Yes it's shitty but WA did some good improvements on their WhatsApp for android app for the last past 4 years. You can use and test it with sfdroid on SFO.

PatsJolla
2016-03-02, 14:28
Strange behaviour in the last days with Whatsup:
Do you also have the effect that the app gets constantly killed by the memory management?
For me the app gets restarted constantly when I click it and the phone was lying around for several minutes. Even if I have no other app opened it seems that the app has a memory hole which triggers the memory management to kill the process and leave me with the "zombie cover". Is this maybe a side effect of the Whatsapp server issues reported the last days or is it sth else?

I have restarted the phone already many times but it doesn't go away, unfortunately I can't identify what is eating the ram or whatever triggers the killing of the process. Anybody else with this experience?

Japsi
2016-03-03, 06:56
Strange things happens because today I started to receive Whatsup messages through from my daughters IPhone after 2 months dead time... And the reason wasn't that she didn't try to send me any messages... :rolleyes:

dameceno
2016-03-03, 12:01
you need to enter in a filemanager and delete the cepiperez folder which is inside the config folder...this will solve your issue :)

Thanks man, did that already some days back, the problem was really that folder and the backups I had there for filecase as well, to be sure had to do a clean start which meant deleting all backups.
Thanks again for the tip

dameceno
2016-03-03, 12:05
Strange behaviour in the last days with Whatsup:
Do you also have the effect that the app gets constantly killed by the memory management?
For me the app gets restarted constantly when I click it and the phone was lying around for several minutes. Even if I have no other app opened it seems that the app has a memory hole which triggers the memory management to kill the process and leave me with the "zombie cover". Is this maybe a side effect of the Whatsapp server issues reported the last days or is it sth else?

I have restarted the phone already many times but it doesn't go away, unfortunately I can't identify what is eating the ram or whatever triggers the killing of the process. Anybody else with this experience?

Used to have a lot of that happening before I reset my device. My bet is because your chat history is somewhat voluminous as a result of long activity. I clean start would certainly do the trick. Not the reset part but removing your backups db and even whatsup folder. Actually it includes uninstalling whatsup, deleting the .whatsup folder under home as well as the whatsup folder and the cepiperez folder located under /nemo/home/.conf

mad_soft
2016-03-07, 00:44
Thanks for awesome work.
i have a little question
if filecase can play voice messages.... opus,...aac...etc, wihout any extra lib,codec, why whatsup need install ultimatecodec... to play them?

stocco
2016-03-09, 10:50
Personally, I do not know anyone already reported. For some time over here some messages received by the groups are not reaching.
I think that has to do with that same problem that would not let get direct messages.

Sera that is to solve?

Japsi
2016-03-10, 07:42
I have all the sudden started to receive messages again from IPhone and Windows phone. Is this the situation with everyone?

PatsJolla
2016-03-12, 20:39
Used to have a lot of that happening before I reset my device. My bet is because your chat history is somewhat voluminous as a result of long activity. I clean start would certainly do the trick. Not the reset part but removing your backups db and even whatsup folder. Actually it includes uninstalling whatsup, deleting the .whatsup folder under home as well as the whatsup folder and the cepiperez folder located under /nemo/home/.conf

Thanks for the tips. I tried and could feel that it became a bit better, but that was not the root of my problems. I found out that my mail-app was causing this behaviour. I deleted my main account and tried to readd it as if it was new. This fixed everything. Seems like my mail account has too many MBs and the phone needed too much time for synching which was eating the ram. I deleted many old mails and now it works as I know it.

genes
2016-03-16, 08:11
I have all the sudden started to receive messages again from IPhone and Windows phone. Is this the situation with everyone?

Not the same for Whatsup in Meego Harmattan, any solutions for N9 user?

meow
2016-03-24, 09:42
Hello,

As of yesterday, I can no longer send/receive one to one messages (could not process group chats for a few months already). Is there any hope of updating Whatsup, i.e., implementing the client to client encryption, which seems the limiting factor here?

Or has it all become too tedious/complicated and I should look for another alternative?

Tualatin
2016-03-24, 09:47
Hello,

As of yesterday, I can no longer send/receive one to one messages (could not process group chats for a few months already). Is there any hope of updating Whatsup, i.e., implementing the client to client encryption, which seems the limiting factor here?

Or has it all become too tedious/complicated and I should look for another alternative?

I don't get any messages since yesterday too. My whatsup connects, but later it stays in "Error" connection state.

That is what I have in logs:

Checking processes... not working
Socket error: Connection closed by server.
Connection closed.
Stopping timers.
Freeing up the connection.
Freeing up the socket.
Retry the connection in 10 seconds.
Connection status: disconnected
Disconnection done
Starting new connection
Checking if already connecting
Checking active network
Connection status: connecting
Connecting to c2.whatsapp.net:443...
Connection status: connecting
Connected successfully
Unencoded Password: ElmTm0QlulriMNHtv6QuyBkGKBU=
Base64 Password: Y��D%�Z�0��.�(
Challenge: 9a16ab331bce9344ad480f6a12dcb196dc92a925
OUTGOING:
<stream:features>
<groups_v2>
</groups_v2>
<identity>
</identity>
<presence>
</presence>
<privacy>
</privacy>
<readreceipts>
</readreceipts>
</stream:features>

OUTGOING:
<auth mechanism="WAUTH-2" passive="false" user="77017340235">
<<<ENCODED DATA>>>
</auth>

Reading data...
INCOMING:
<stream:start from="s.whatsapp.net">
</stream:start>

Reading data...
INCOMING:
<stream:features>
</stream:features>

Reading data...
INCOMING:
<success creation="1338382870" expiration="4444444444" kind="free" props="4" status="active" t="1458798621">
<<<ENCODED DATA>>>
</success>

OUTGOING:
<iq id="config_1" to="s.whatsapp.net" type="set" xmlns="urn:xmpp:whatsapp:push">
<config platform="S40" version="2.12.96">
</config>
</iq>

Connection status: connected

kibet85
2016-03-25, 11:52
mine too...guess its finally done now.

Tualatin
2016-03-25, 12:52
mine too...guess its finally done now.

RIP Whatsup

Offtopic: Unfortunately my Jolla hard bricked today. No recovery mode works.

HtheB
2016-03-25, 13:17
Whatsup has been changing some things in their latest builds...
Android users had to force update their clients as well.
I can't promise when or IF there will be even an update.

Some things needs to be investigate before making any promises though..

PatsJolla
2016-03-25, 20:37
For me it still works quite normal only difference to before is that some contacts can write messages that I never receive.
I guess that the encryption effect...
If only another service would be used by this many people....

smatkovi
2016-03-26, 11:54
icouldn't wait and downloaded the android client ,back then when the update came out and iguess encryption was activated for me so the update didn't work for me

smatkovi
2016-03-26, 11:55
and since then icannot connect ,sometimes iuse the android client now

HtheB
2016-03-29, 14:36
Update time!

Download Whatsup0.2-7 (http://www32.zippyshare.com/v/6FV2f1dF/file.html)
(Click on the orange DOWNLOAD NOW button)

Or on OpenRepos.net

Changelog:
- Fixed connection problems

Have fun!

2016-03-29, 14:54
the connection problem is fixed but i still can't send/receive any messages unfortunately...

HtheB
2016-03-29, 15:25
the connection problem is fixed but i still can't send/receive any messages unfortunately...

Group or individual messages?

2016-03-29, 15:57
both...done the update and wu connected itself but couldn't send/receive any message, done a reinstall and had to connect myself and couldn't anyway send or receive...maybe i should do a clean reinstal?

kibet85
2016-03-29, 16:19
quit the app..delete the whatsupconf file located in cepi folder and backup.folder ..thn launch app.. it will ask you for registration..proceed and all wil be fine

2016-03-29, 17:06
quit the app..delete the whatsupconf file located in cepi folder and backup.folder ..thn launch app.. it will ask you for registration..proceed and all wil be fine

thx...anyway wu returned working without having done anything :)

mad_soft
2016-03-29, 21:42
have you fixed problem with send/received only with re-register in whatsupp?

HtheB
2016-03-29, 22:46
have you fixed problem with send/received only with re-register in whatsupp?

I haven't fixed anything.
And no, it should just work without re-registering.

smatkovi
2016-03-29, 23:53
i got myself blocked^^

HtheB
2016-03-30, 00:12
i got myself blocked^^

Ouch.. :D

There are ways to unblock yourself though....
read the thread, it's written a lot of times already :p

2016-03-30, 06:53
this morning wu was not working anymore...even done a clean reinstall deleting all folders and files but it's still not working...

meverik
2016-03-30, 16:16
today, after trying to registrate with whatsup, i got immediately blocked...hope the support is so kindly and will unblock me again :)

kibet85
2016-03-30, 19:01
and its finally given up....

smatkovi
2016-03-31, 12:02
Ouch.. :D

There are ways to unblock yourself though....
read the thread, it's written a lot of times already :p

oh thanks, i will try it

hurho
2016-04-01, 11:26
For me it still works quite normal only difference to before is that some contacts can write messages that I never receive.
I guess that the encryption effect...
If only another service would be used by this many people....

Hi,

I have the same problem. Two or more contacts, which can't send me a message. They still can send me a picure. I can send messages normally to them.

--
Harri

tetris11_
2016-04-02, 21:20
Cannot connect at all.

This is the end. My only friend, the end... :(

Yeum
2016-04-03, 10:41
Yep, having the same issue where I can't see some people's messages in a group chat (picture messages do show up). I can chat with the same people individually 1v1 without problems, though.

tetris11_
2016-04-03, 17:53
I'm now connected again, but not recieving any new messages...

Log reveals a metric ton of encoded messages, gonna try direct messaging 1-2-1 see if that helps

mad_soft
2016-04-06, 23:07
If this project have end-to-end encryption, could help to Whatsup?
https://github.com/mgp25/Chat-API

STiAT
2016-04-08, 11:38
I got myself banned too today for using Whatsup.

I've E-Mailed the Support now, because I couldn't find a way to unban me another way.

By the way, re-registration was what caused the ban for me.

smatkovi
2016-04-08, 11:51
I got myself banned too today for using Whatsup.

I've E-Mailed the Support now, because I couldn't find a way to unban me another way.

By the way, re-registration was what caused the ban for me.

for me it was also registration, which caused the ban.

mrsellout
2016-04-08, 16:34
I was banned too, again while trying to reregister as I couldn't connect.

I ended up trying to re-register with the official app, and emailing their support through it. I told them I had problems connecting, so I had reinstalled their app and tried to re-register but it said I was banned.

They replied saying that I was banned as I was using a VOIP or SIP number!!! And also if I wasn't, I needed to reply with a pic of the sim with my phone bill.

I did that but didn't get a reply for a week or so when they said I should register using their app.

DrYak
2016-04-08, 22:59
I'm now connected again, but not recieving any new messages...

After the upgrade I had similar problems:
- couldn't connect, or got quickly disconnected.

After a while (couple of hours), things stabilised and I was able to stay connected.
Then, no way to exchange message, everything I tried sending remained with a "red dot".
But once I asked a nearby friend to msg me (private message), everything back to normal. I received her message, and she received the few message which were wainting with a red dot.

So try to send a message to a friend and ask her/him to reply to it.

WhatsApp has made encryption mandatory, so either the message is needed to make sure that both end-points agree about encryption, or both decide to fall back to non encrypted communication.
(Is axoltl active in the latest whatsup build ?)

Similar situation with the groups:
- by asking people to send me individual messages, I sometime start again to receive them in group discussion.
(Though sometime, after a while it goes back to missing messages).

I've never ever needed to re-register since I have whatsup on my jolla.
(and similarily, never needed to re-register with mojoWhatsup on my WebOS Pre3, until I got definitely disconnected (but not banned) after some update from WhatsApp at a time where development of mojoWhatsup was already abandonned)

fin2cv
2016-04-13, 10:34
Today wu couldn't connect at all. Registration try-out gave response: old version. Unistalled wu (had old version because it worked fine untill today), deleted whatsup.config -file, power off, removed battery for 20 mins. Then power on, downloaded and installed latest version of wu. Voilà, we are online =)

cvp
2016-04-13, 21:00
thanks for the info. but for me, i finish it with whatsapp.. now i use Telegram. And i am feeling free :D

mad_soft
2016-04-14, 20:44
it's strange, i have last version and always connect but xx seconds after, wu disconnects and several retry's after, red icon and error... And all day with this.
Some day, only during x minutes connects, sends and receive messages, but wu disconnects after

DrYak
2016-04-15, 16:46
In my general experience, most of the "can't connect, even after updating" are trensient.
Once I update to the latest version, I always end up eventually having access again.

Re-registering doesn't seem a very good idea.
WhatsApp probably have code to detect too many attempts at registering same number again.

(Because I strongly suspect that's the behaviour WhatsApp expects from SPAMers. Thus, by trying to re-register at the slightest connection problem, WhatsApp might automatically flag you as a SPAMer.
Hence the weird answers from the WhatsApp costumer service: "Your number isn't a real mobile phone, but a VOIP number" or "Please send proof that this a mobile number you own by sending a picture of your SIM card and a copy of your phone bill", etc.)

Waiting out the outage and updating to the latest version seems to work better (never got rejected).

DrYak
2016-04-15, 16:50
i have last version and always connect but xx seconds after, wu disconnects and several retry's after, red icon and error...

It has happened to me.
In my case, when it does, I've noticed that WU isn't the only application affected.
(seems to me that the DNS caching of the phone doesn't plays well with the DNS setup of some of Wifi networks I connect to).

Usually completely restarting the connection works for me.
(with GUI: enter Aiplane mode, wait timer, the return to normal connection mode, wait timer again.
with CLI: systemctl restart connman.service)

mad_soft
2016-04-18, 11:34
If yappari gets encrypted messages, could think WU will?
Until that time, we could use original whatsapp and return when update arrives?

aka_makaveli
2016-04-18, 17:20
I use WhatsUp for Jolla. If I was banned by the registration with my new phone number, can I write email on the WhatsApp-support to be unblocked?

aka_makaveli
2016-04-20, 16:07
We won't get a new version of Whatsup? :(

clovis86
2016-04-21, 06:18
This version is working smoothly for me here

fin2cv
2016-04-21, 16:02
Worked fine few days, today went offline, and can't get wu online at all. Uninstalled wu same way as last time, re-installed same (latest) version, but no success. Damn..

okourkoulos
2016-04-21, 19:38
Same here.
A few days ago, lost it and never came back.
Never used any other client (Android or iOS) except WhatsApp in N9 and Mittaakulu in Jolla.

MoritzJT
2016-04-22, 00:39
It's simple they have you figured out. They can assign the numbers of the blocked folks to specific unofficial clients. They see that there's a huge fallback number after you asked them for clearance and an unban. The simplest thing they can do is ban you artificially and look for anomalies when you sign up again. Is that a possibility?

*paranoid*

TBH, I'd hope for a decline in WhatsApp usage from their policy. Maybe one day we get a proper native Signal/Textsecure compatible client, or something decent other than WhatsApp. WhatsUp was and still is the best usable client ( when it connects ;-) ) on both N9 and N950 and on SailfishOS. It's sad to see its current state with all the changes hammering down from WhatsApp and no community support. It happens to projects that only few contribute to.

Thanks to all who helped it get here!

jellyroll
2016-04-22, 15:36
This version is working smoothly for me here

https://www.whatsapp.com/faq/general/28030015

fin2cv
2016-04-24, 14:56
Worked fine few days, today went offline, and can't get wu online at all. Uninstalled wu same way as last time, re-installed same (latest) version, but no success. Damn..

Today I tried to re-registrate wa account. I think this time I typed the country code as "358", without "+" in front. Perhaps previously I typed it as +358. I don't know if it matters, but now I got online! I did send some messages to my friends, and got answers from them so now everything is fine..

Jordi
2016-05-10, 21:38
It seems that @ceene is doing huge progresses with ciphered messages in Yappari.

Will we see something similar in Whatsup at some point?

DrYak
2016-05-12, 02:46
Worked fine few days, today went offline, and can't get wu online at all.

Same here.
A few days ago, lost it and never came back.

Got similar problems a couple of days ago.
It happened after I posted messages to a group just created (created by a friends' iPhone)
All messages I try to send stay with "red" status, no receiving any status update from WhatsApp.

I did not fumbled around with re-registrations or re-installations.

I simply did my usual routine :

Cycle Aiplane-mode on and off (probably gives me a new IP address ? Never bothered to check)
Try reconnect. WhatsUp connects, but all my newer message still stay unset / still no update from the network
Asked my friend to send me a WhatsApp message
Got her message
All my message now correctly leaving the phone as expected
WhatsUp correctly update status once messages get read

I suspect that 2 things are into play:

Some anti-SPAM counter-measure get triggered (probably WhatsUp trying to post an un-encrypted message into a group chat = i.e.: sending a message to a lot of people, including to some I haven't sent messages before. Might look suspicious to WhatsApp's server: looks very different from normal interactions and in addition probably that's how a SPAM-bot trying to hammer their network would look like).
This puts me on a red-list: no more interaction allowed with the rest of the network (can't send messages anymore, can't receive status updates)
Cycling the connection probably gives me a new IP from my ISP, my IP isn't red-listed anymore
receiving the first message from my friend and subsequently exchanging messages with her probably de-triggers the "SPAM" alert placed onto my account. (Now from WhatsApp's point of view I look like any average user chatting with friends)
Maybe there's also some of the crypto logic (updating/reseting the state) at work

This has happened quite a few times recently, and it always resolved this way: Ask a nearby standing friend that she sends me any random message (usually they tend to send me poop emoji), once I receive it, this seem to go back to normal.

So to anyone with problems with WhatsUp: I would definitely advise AGAINST trying to re-install, re-register.

Start simply by asking a friend sitting nearby to send you a message.

Koiruus
2016-05-18, 13:22
Something strange happened to me like a week ago. Whatsup reconnected and after that all the conversations, except some group chats, were gone. I mean they didn't exist on conversation list anymore, but if I search for a contact and send him/her a message OR receive a message from "old" contact, the chat will return to conversations list.

Whatsup still works great, and I don't really care about those missing conversations. But still an odd incident.

DrYak
2016-06-15, 01:10
Whatsup reconnected and after that all the conversations, except some group chats, were gone. {...} Whatsup still works great

Similar report here: All the conversations also "invisible", but still in the database and logs still appear if I manually open the conversation window (e.g.: starting a new message to an old contact).

DrYak
2016-06-15, 01:19
Also another minor problem:
Some time recently, some of my contact's WhatsApp apps have started to send .opus files as audio message. (Which is by the way great, that's one of the best currently available audio codec, and totally opensource).

But for some reason, WhatsUp can't open them, although they open perfectly with other players relying on the installed Gstreamer stack (e.g.: LLsvPlayer or Jolla's Media)

Would it be possible to fix that ?

PatsJolla
2016-06-29, 11:40
I got today an error message "old version" and can't login anymore with whatsup.
So I guess this is the end then for our native support? The S40 supports ends this year so I guess we have to move now to the android version? I guess it doesn't make sense to change the app if the whole support is ending quite soon anyway
so sad....

Koiruus
2016-06-29, 11:49
Mine also stopped working today (or maybe last night, I recognized it when I woke up today morning). I haven't got any error messages. It just doesn't reconnect anymore. This has happened at least once before, and that time it was Whatsapp server's fault. And it started to work again after a while. Anyone else having connection problems?

clovis86
2016-06-29, 11:59
same here during last night :/
Already switched to android version :( :( :(

PatsJolla
2016-06-29, 12:01
Mine also stopped working today (or maybe last night, I recognized it when I woke up today morning). I haven't got any error messages. It just doesn't reconnect anymore. This has happened at least once before, and that time it was Whatsapp server's fault. And it started to work again after a while. Anyone else having connection problems?

This is what I also had and when I tried to re-register I got the error message "old version" so I think we need a protocol update or that's the end of native whatsapp support

kneeli
2016-06-29, 19:47
same here, no connection anymore...so I will quit whatsapp at all....no android app, never :-)

dameceno
2016-06-30, 13:52
same here, no connection anymore...so I will quit whatsapp at all....no android app, never :-)

Same here, not just the connection issues but the androiod client is just way too low for our taste:cool::cool::cool:

We still keep the faith in the maintainers of whatsup, we wont give up on you guys;)

PatsJolla
2016-07-01, 10:09
Same here, not just the connection issues but the androiod client is just way too low for our taste:cool::cool::cool:

We still keep the faith in the maintainers of whatsup, we wont give up on you guys;)

Yeah would be nice but I guess maintaining doesn't make sense since the protocol it relying on is for S40 phones and will be blocked by whatsapp by the end of this year

dameceno
2016-07-01, 11:22
Yeah would be nice but I guess maintaining doesn't make sense since the protocol it relying on is for S40 phones and will be blocked by whatsapp by the end of this year
True enough but it is a long way from january 1st, or did I loose track of time ?:D

DrYak
2016-07-05, 14:59
Has someone managed to get some info from the developers ?

Currently, I've switched to the official Android client from WhatsApp.
But the interface seems aweful to me...

tetris11_
2016-07-06, 17:31
Currently, I've switched to the official Android client from WhatsApp.
But the interface seems aweful to me...

Ditto, and ditto.

kneeli
2016-07-06, 22:11
I stay offline and wait, if there will be some progress

tangent
2016-07-14, 20:43
I get in every registration attempt a message: Error, Server response was : old_version. And I have the latest Whatsup 0.2-7 version.

PatsJolla
2016-07-14, 20:47
I get in every registration attempt a message: Error, Server response was : old_version. And I have the latest Whatsup 0.2-7 version.

Thats what I also got. I didn't try mitakuulu but i can imagine it will have the same problem (same protocol), so we are stuck with the android client

fin2cv
2016-08-19, 06:24
Are there any chances for that Whatsup developer(s) offer us newer/working version of wu? And perhaps even so that wu has proper protocol for future... I will make a proper donation if these things happen =)

PatsJolla
2016-08-19, 06:37
I don't think this will be so easy... Basically only iOS and Android protocols are left. Maybe with Android it could work but I can imagine that any functionalities have to be reprogrammed on SFOS level to fully work correctly. But I would totally support a new version of a native app...
They are sooo much nicer than the android app

mikecomputing
2016-08-19, 18:10
Get over it use telegram instead its more open and encrypted. and easy to install and use for non geeks too.

So tell your friends to switch works flawlessly on Iphone, Android, Laptop and SFOS

HtheB
2016-08-19, 18:11
Get over it use telegram instead its more open and encrypted.
Good luck trying to say that to all the people you know (and not know)

mikecomputing
2016-08-19, 18:14
Good luck trying to say that to all the people you know (and not know)

In this case I think its not that hard to convince peoplse since its not a geek only chat such as XMMP or similar fail cause "too much hassle to install and not ready apps"

gaelic
2016-08-19, 18:35
Isn't Whatsapp using xmpp? And if you're using email you're also capable of using jabber

nthn
2016-08-19, 22:50
Get over it use telegram instead its more open and encrypted.
Neither of those statements are true. Telegram's server software is proprietary, so it doesn't matter that the clients are free software. Conversations on Telegram are all sent unencrypted by default and are stored on Telegram's proprietary servers, whereas conversations on WhatsApp are encrypted with the Signal protocol, always and everywhere.

WhatsApp may be the worst thing to happen to communication since Facebook, but at least they don't pretend to be anything else. Telegram are a bunch of phonies.

Don't use Telegram.

(You could use Signal instead. It works on Android, iOS, your desktop and even on Sailfish (https://github.com/aebruno/whisperfish/releases)!)

padmaraj.ravi
2016-08-20, 11:32
Neither of those statements are true. Telegram's server software is proprietary, so it doesn't matter that the clients are free software. Conversations on Telegram are all sent unencrypted by default and are stored on Telegram's proprietary servers, whereas conversations on WhatsApp are encrypted with the Signal protocol, always and everywhere.

WhatsApp may be the worst thing to happen to communication since Facebook, but at least they don't pretend to be anything else. Telegram are a bunch of phonies.

Don't use Telegram.

(You could use Signal instead. It works on Android, iOS, your desktop and even on Sailfish (https://github.com/aebruno/whisperfish/releases)!)

Telegram provides an open api and encourages any one to develop a client for it. Source being open is not a criteria for me as long the messaging app work since i dont plan to use it for my secret missions anyway :D .As long as , it does not force me to use an os i dont like(i e open web api. If you are not interested in an os , let me build my own client using your api.) .

It also has a very good web interface which does not force you to keep your phone connected. I dont know if signal has a web interface. Telegrams web interface means even if a client is not there , you can just take the url in the browser and it will work. This alone makes it a winner over whatsapp and signal.

kinggo
2016-08-20, 12:18
and yet, we still need official android client first to register. So, what's the point of native unofficial one and open API? Telegram sucks almost as much as whatsup.
What we need is some kind of MMS/SMS combo with some enhancements that is standardized across the globe just like SMS/MMS with some fixed monthly fee for the service and to be done with all those OTT services.

nthn
2016-08-20, 12:45
I dont know if signal has a web interface.
Yes, it does, in the form of a Chromium extension which functions as a (sort of) standalone desktop client: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/signal-private-messenger/bikioccmkafdpakkkcpdbppfkghcmihk
Edit: to make it clear, you only need to connect this desktop client to the phone once, after that you don't need the phone anymore.

(Unfortunately that means you need to install Chromium or Opera to use it, but it's better than nothing.)

243kof
2016-08-20, 17:22
Telegram has been criticized for its encryption algorithms but it's not completely accurate that conversations are sent unencrypted. Client-server encryption is applied by default and end-to-end encryption is optionally enabled in secret chats, at least according to their FAQ. Also I never needed official Android client to register some months ago, I don't know if this is true now.
Signal on the other hand applies end-to-end encryption by default and its protocol is considered very good but its Android client depends on Google APIs. Plus I don't want to use Chrome just to be able to have Signal on the desktop.
I looked into all this during my summer vacation and I'm still undecided.. I'd even give XMPP a try after reading this (https://gultsch.de/xmpp_2016.html) but almost none of my friends use it :(

nthn
2016-08-20, 19:09
Client-server encryption is applied by default
Well, yes, but I think this is a given for any messenger out there now. At least I hope there is nothing that's actually used by people but doesn't use a TLS connection.

padmaraj.ravi
2016-08-20, 22:32
and yet, we still need official android client first to register. So, what's the point of native unofficial one and open API? Telegram sucks almost as much as whatsup.

As far as i know , you dont need an android client to register. You can just use your browser. Take the web.telegram in browser and you are good to go. And it doesnt need a plugin or a specific browser. Even N900 browser will be able to do it. I personally repect the providers who give a web interface alternative to their applications. If you dont have time to develop clients for all the different oses out there , give a good web interface. It is as universal as it can get.