Active Topics

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
I have a question to the council candidates:

What do you think about integrating (exchanging among platforms) apps from various platforms, e.g. Harmattan, maybe in the future Meltemi, so that e.g. N900 user would be able to use the Harmattan/Meltemi apps. What would be your plan, which way of approaching this do you propose (chroot, dual-boot, porting libs, ...) where would be Nokia's place in your plan? Do you think it's needed or do you think the apps already there are enough?

Projects no longer actively developed: here

I think it isn't in Council's scope at all - it's question for developers. Chroot doesn't apply here, and You can achieve it by promoting targeting multiple platform @ stage of program creation.

Community OBS shared with Mer and Harmattan helps here for sure - for some programs, compiling for another OS will be just a matter of setting different target.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
I think it isn't in Council's scope at all - it's question for developers. Chroot doesn't apply here, and You can achieve it by promoting targeting multiple platform @ stage of program creation.

Community OBS shared with Mer and Harmattan helps here for sure - for some programs, compiling for another OS will be just a matter of setting different target.

/Estel
HEAR This is not (and not needed to be) a council decision.
All though community shared OBS may promote similar, like Estel points out.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 55 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Bulgaria
I've just gave my vote. Hope that the future and the new council will bring success to the whole community.

The Following User Says Thank You to leon.anavi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
According to the wiki page history, the asterisk was put next to my name by General Antilles on April 9
Probably because, as Estel says, the Council didn't do it itself and you've been the only active member. Why are you objecting to it so much?

[...] who edits MWKN news along with Jaffa, who has also recently taken to making negative comments against me.
Blimey. It's nothing personal it's just, to be honest, this Council's performance has been crap. I'm actually surprised you accepted the nomination.

Sure, you were the only one which was active, but that doesn't excuse:
  • the failure to select a chair
  • the failure to put your photos up on the council homepage, so your constituents can recognise you as people (both for reasons of professionalism but also at conferences etc.)
  • the failure to on consistently communicate with the community, including about the election
  • the worsening of relationships with Nemein (yes, the fault lies on both sides)
  • the farcical organisation of the election.

...and, above all, the failure to ask for help.

I hope this mistake is coincidence as it would be first time people have resorted to sleazy tactics against a candidate who has volunteered much time to maemo.
For the record: I don't want to be sleazy, or back-handed. I think you're a nice guy, I just don't think you were cut out for this facilitation role in the last council. However, I'm sure you'll get re-elected, so perhaps you could look at these as potential areas of improvement?

If nothing else, perhaps the incoming council could look in the list above as the minimum to get right?

Last edited by Jaffa; 2012-05-16 at 15:49. Reason: Typo

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
According to the wiki page history, the asterisk was put next to my name by General Antilles on April 9, who edits MWKN news along with Jaffa, who has also recently taken to making negative comments against me. I hope this mistake is coincidence as it would be first time people have resorted to sleazy tactics against a candidate who has volunteered much time to maemo.
What happened to assuming good faith?

Your edit to add the current council resulted in the removal of a whole council from the list. Assuming it was an underhanded and sleazy tactic to erase the history of the current council's predecessors wasn't something that occurred to me.

Also: I'm sorry for the confusion that's been caused.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2012-12-22 at 03:07.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Perhaps we should watch the tone here.
At least as current nominees, and not least, current council members, we need to be the 'father to look up to' (sorry, dont know a better translation).
I thank Estel and Jaffa though for their remarks, its valuable notice and definately something for the new council to note and be aware of.
It is NOT just a 'title of honour' that should make the council, but a board of people that live to make this a better community for especially all the brilliant developers here.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Do you think that a picture is a requirement? Really?

Please keep calm, I think we all share a common interest and for the sake of the community let's try to focus on it, instead of arguing.

Last edited by ivgalvez; 2012-05-16 at 17:42.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Ah damn, I would have liked to vote, but hadn't realized the 3 month guarantee rule.

My mistake, next year then. May the best council persons win :-).

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
Do you think that a picture is a requirement? Really?
Well, probably it's up to you - as is to include a photo to your CV for a job application. And I for one will make my choice in this vote much the same way I'd do for somebody applying for a job at my company. "No Picture? Let's see if next one is less ugly..."

Honestly I'd feel embarrassed not to comply with what's been best practice for those councils that were earlier and of course better than me.
Or simply put: look http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_Council and guess.
But no, actually the statutes don't ask for a picture.

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2012-05-16 at 18:34.

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:

Tags
council, election, incommunicado, winding down