Active Topics

Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
No, as I don't know how to reliably enable/disable it. At most I could try if the old code works now with PR1.3.
Hopefully it will work, even if it would require Inception it would be great. ProfileMatic is a nice piece of software, and with this backroung connection feature it would be quite perfect.

Whatever the outcome will be, you have done good job. My donation is on the way.

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by kkarioja View Post
Hopefully it will work, even if it would require Inception it would be great. ProfileMatic is a nice piece of software, and with this backroung connection feature it would be quite perfect.
Unfortunately setting background connection is not something that inception will (likely) solve. I haven't yet tested if the method I had works in PR1.3, but I'll try to test it soon. Basically I could switch the setting so that it was visible in the Settings application. But it was just "placebo", effects were not the same.

Whatever the outcome will be, you have done good job. My donation is on the way.
Much appreciated!

The Following User Says Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by patocr View Post
profilematic doesn't work for me. Don't know why. I only want to use simple profile rules set by TIME to change my ringin profile. But rules don't apply. They apply just one time. Then no more.
Just a small heads-up as the release of ProfileMatic 1.7.0 is nearing. There was few of these kinds of messages from a couple of people. Basically from what I was able to gather from the reports, there may be an issue for some people who use time based conditions if there's a 2-3 days interval between the next time.

I built a test version that had a fix candidate for this problem requiring testing. I haven't received any feedback from the people who reported this problem for this fix.

Since this fix can potentially have some adverse effects, I will not include it unless it fixes the problem. So if you're one of the people affected by this problem and want it to get fixed, please step-up and do some testing and report to me.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
just wanted to login and say thanks for developing this wonderful application! This kind of possibilities should be built-in to OS.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaykie For This Useful Post:
Unfortunately setting background connection is not something that inception will (likely) solve. I haven't yet tested if the method I had works in PR1.3, but I'll try to test it soon.
I don't know if this is very useful information, but after some testing I think this problem might be in the OS.

Setting the background connection seems work unreliably also if I do it from the settings menu. Sometimes I have to disable and enable the internet connection before background settings actually change. Maybe this could be used to make background settings change as desired. I don't know if this would be a very nice solution, though. However, this seems to happen with the settings menu, so it might be quite hard to find any other way...

BTW, it seems to work just the same way when I change background connection setting in terminal by gconftool-2.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kkarioja For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kkarioja View Post
I don't know if this is very useful information, but after some testing I think this problem might be in the OS.

Setting the background connection seems work unreliably also if I do it from the settings menu. Sometimes I have to disable and enable the internet connection before background settings actually change. Maybe this could be used to make background settings change as desired. I don't know if this would be a very nice solution, though. However, this seems to happen with the settings menu, so it might be quite hard to find any other way...

BTW, it seems to work just the same way when I change background connection setting in terminal by gconftool-2.
The method I used with the earlier ProfileMatic was changing the value in gconf. In PR1.2 I think it was reliable using the Settings application, but had no meaningful effect when changing using gconf directly.

So now with PR1.3 it's unreliable also when changing from Settings, unless Internet Connection is toggled off/on after that? The problem in implementing that to ProfileMatic is that I haven't found a way to switch Internet Connection. Last I looked it couldn't be done through gconf and I haven't found any clear APIs to do it either.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
So now with PR1.3 it's unreliable also when changing from Settings, unless Internet Connection is toggled off/on after that?
At least in my N9 this seems to be the case.

I also tried to search the web for any way to switch Internet Connection on/off, but found none. Some people even say it's impossible.

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Nice app!

Some suggestions:
move the whole to settings, it is a daemon and its behaviour should be under "Settings -> Applications" me thinks

add a slider to deactivate all and add a slider to deactivate each

add "if idle in this case for #min do $changes" additionally to cases

copy a case (it is really hard to record cell-towers during meetings and such... like 5 cases for work, each time I add a new one I have to wander around to get the towerinfo)

for testing:
I have cases timed once a week but I do not have the device for a week yet so no idea if it's buggy or not... get in touch with me in #harmattan if you like me testing (N9). I am a usability tester if that is not a problem. As I said I am new to harmattan but I will have a look for dbus msgs for several things (did some of the reverse-engineering for n900 location dbus calls), I might run into useful msgs...

The Following User Says Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
Some suggestions:
move the whole to settings, it is a daemon and its behaviour should be under "Settings -> Applications" me thinks
I kind of agree. I haven't looked at it, but if I've understood correctly integrating into Settings would require some fancy XML or MTF. Basically meaning a rewrite of the current QML UI. That's not realistic to happen. But perhaps I'm wrong about that.

add a slider to deactivate all and add a slider to deactivate each
The deactivate all is in the menu. I thought about putting it as a slider but had a bit of a dilemma where to put the slider so that it would look good. In the end I came to the conclusion that activating/deactivating all the rules is something you do quite rarely, so to keep the UI simple and non-obtrusive such functions should be "out of the way" in the menu. I'm open to different opinions on that of course.

Deactivate rules one-by-one will be in 1.7.0, it is implemented already. But no slider for similar reasoning as above, it will be accessible with long press on rule (and in the rule's menu).

add "if idle in this case for #min do $changes" additionally to cases
This one I don't understand. How does it differ from the current Idle condition?

copy a case (it is really hard to record cell-towers during meetings and such... like 5 cases for work, each time I add a new one I have to wander around to get the towerinfo)
You can copy a case with long press on a rule (Copy as new).

I have cases timed once a week but I do not have the device for a week yet so no idea if it's buggy or not...
Let me know if you hit the bug. It's only meaningful to try the test version if it's certain the current version has the time bug for you.

Thanks for the feedback!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
I've uploaded ProfileMatic 1.7.0 to Nokia Store. Should be downloadable in about week.

Changelog:

* NFC condition
* Network connection type condition
* Charging condition
* Rules can be deactivated one by one using long press on the rule
* Rule's actions can be manually executed using long press on the rule
* Added splash screen on launch
* UI improvement: Rule editing shows only conditions/actions set. New rule editing shows only Time condition and Profile action at first
* UI improvement: Rule editing has context menu to clear condition/action
* Fix: flight mode setting code moved to separate binary to keep aegis credentials
* Custom action sets environment so that virtual keyboard works if QML application launched
* Idle condition not activated while speaking on phone
* Mobile network mode change delayed until no call/data usage
* On shutdown tries to "restore previous" actions and activates default rule.

This version is participating in the Summer '12 coding competition in the update category. I worked hard to make this the best update so far, please vote if you like it.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post: