The decision to drop exfat is most unfortunate from compatibility point of view. I'm afraid it will have negative impact on adoption rate because average user will not be convinced just by saying "oh, you don't have to pay for Microsoft!!" Hopefully our foss-fanatics are happy now that we can have our own, incompatible geek-way to annoy average users, so we can express some creativity in explaining why it's good thing. Luckily, SDXC is not that common yet, so it might take some time before serious issues arise - but be assured, this decision will definitely not receive any understanding or mercy in hands of reviewers.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
It's says nowhere that 2,5 3G stretch goal got an end date. So I guess we are still in business.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-01-29 at 21:17.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
To be fair, you didn't pay for a stretch goal, you paid for a tablet.
Actually, I didn't even pay for a tablet. I just donated money and hope(d) for the best. Indiegogo isn't a webshop.

At the time when it all happened, I trusted Jolla, though. And I thought that when they'd announce something, I could rely on it.

Said stretch goal also never mentioned anything about using a specific kind of filesystem format.
No, because
  1. µSD SD > 32Gb by definition is SDXC+exFAT and
  2. any experimental btrfs/ext4/...-filesystem on SD-cards is already supported on SailfishOS and doesn't need more funding for either development or licensing.

When that goal was reached, a poll was made on TJC, where reaction to a proprietary filesystem was lukewarm at best.
The poll was useless after the goal was reached because the goal was reached. Also, given the thousands of supporters for the tablet, the number of votes on any of the suggestions in said thread can be safely ignored. Even after having said that: Of the three most popular answers in this poll, two support exFAT.

However, again, as long as the SD card remains inside the tablet, you never, ever, need to worry about which filesystem the SD card uses (and why would you take out the SD card anyway, it's so small it would get lost immediately)..
Why have removable storage if you don't remove it? The whole point of the SD card is to get swapped from one device to another.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
So that was it. I don't trust them any more. I paid for a stretch goal to achieve standard-compliant SD-support >32GB. (For non-standard solutions like Ext4, no stretch goal would have been needed. They work already, many people use them today on their Jolla phones.).
In 27/11/2014 Jolla Tablet campaign said :
Goal #1 - $1,500,000: MicroSDHC support up to 128GB
Once we reach the first goal, every Jolla Tablet will be upgraded to support microSDHC cards up to 128GB! You’ll never have to worry about running out of space again. Currently Jolla Tablet supports cards up to 32GB, besides having 32GB internal storage.
So the stretch goal was to support 128GB microSD.

Now Jolla Tablet Indiegogo site says :
We would also like to say thanks in helping us reach the stretch goal of $1.5M and enabling support for microSD cards up to 128GB. This perk generated a tremendous amount of discussion and at Jolla we are definitely listening.
We’ve decided to move forward with an open source memory card solution. This enables you to use memory cards up to 128GB on your Jolla Tablet for back-ups and extra storage. Due to Microsoft’s licensing limitation, cards over 32GB, that are formatted in Jolla Tablet, will not be readable with Windows computers or devices that advertise microSDXC support (cameras/phones/tablets). We feel that this suits best with our community's wishes and Jolla's values.
I.e., microSD up to 128GB will be supported by Jolla Tablet (not just 32GB as before), but not using exFAT from Microsoft license. I suppose there will be an easy-to-use format option in Sailfish 2.0 Settings with FAT32 (up to 32GB microSD), EXT4 and/or BTRFS (for any microSD size). Currently, to format a microSD in Sailfish it is needed to use CLI commands :
https://together.jolla.com/question/...icrosdxc-card/

So Jolla listened to the community open-source wishes, discussed here, in TJC, etc.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Can somebody please tell me what my money was used for? Certainly not for the advertised goal. So what reason would I have to trust them with this new campaign? You pay for an alleged 64GB version, and in 2 months they decide that the whole thing got a re-design again and doesn't need that much memory any more because of whatever clever software design trick. You paid for 64GB on Indiegogo? No money back, sorry.
You are mixing stretch goal with perk. When you perk you select a product in some configuration, like Jolla Tablet with 64GB.

Anyway, the microSD 128GB stretch goal will be honored. But not using exFAT.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
The decision to drop exfat is most unfortunate from compatibility point of view. I'm afraid it will have negative impact on adoption rate because average user will not be convinced just by saying "oh, you don't have to pay for Microsoft!!" Hopefully our foss-fanatics are happy now that we can have our own, incompatible geek-way to annoy average users, so we can express some creativity in explaining why it's good thing. Luckily, SDXC is not that common yet, so it might take some time before serious issues arise - but be assured, this decision will definitely not receive any understanding or mercy in hands of reviewers.
The best and (as I see it) most matching comment to that TJC debacle!

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
so we can express some creativity in explaining why it's good thing
If FOSDEM is gonna look like this, I swear I'll pull my exFAT 128GB card from my camera

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Add to that, I paid for 3G that was never on the table like ubuntu edge which was refunded in full. Instead two fake stretch goals. I want my money back and buy a$200 kebab instead.
No, you haven't payed for 3G, you have not selected a Jolla Tablet perk with 3G, because there wasn't that option. There was a strech goal of US$2.5 million to have 3G, i.e., if reached, there would be additional perks with Jolla Tablet 3G and to include 3G capability to previous Jolla Tablet perks. Like Jolla Tablet 32GB->64GB costing US$25.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2015-01-29 at 20:56.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Please add a 3g perk.
Personally, couldn't care less about the 3g. Tethering (using LTE here) is fine as I carry my phone with me all the time anyways. Plus I would have to pay extra to carrier to get the 3g for the tablet. Also glad the extra memory option is being made available. Also good with ext4. I'm happy.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
I.e., microSD up to 128GB will be supported by Jolla Tablet (not just 32GB as before)
There seems to be a misunderstanding. I am not an engineer, nor have I ever disassembled SD-cards and -slots, so I might still be wrong. But: From all I read on the web, SDHC cards (up to 32GB) and SDXC cards (above 32GB) are electronically identical and differ only in the file system used.

So if the original tablet concept included a µSD-slot that was capable of handling cards up to 32GB, it was already capable of handling cards up to 128GB without any further change - as long as those cards didn't comply to the standards and specifications and weren't formated as exFAT.

So it is my understanding (and I'd really be happy to be proven wrong) that when you write "not just 32GB as before", it's just not true. It was always more than 32GB. Even the Jolla phone can handle cards above 32GB with file systems other than exFAT.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Well, £15 for an extra 32gb and a bit more battery life ain't that bad, I guess? Does seem like this might be the start of an installment plan, some of us have already bought the case as an extra.

The Following User Says Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:

Tags
indiegogo, jolla, jolla tablet