Active Topics

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by smarsh View Post
Whilst I'm on the subject, Kathy, your example of so-called weak communication is not weak at all, it's just an example of a sub culture. Perhaps even a dialect. Laziness be damned.
It is weak communication because it communicates very little, The statement was "OMFG n900 is teh suxxor! Nokia haz jmpd da shark!" I think. Which communicates very little other than a sense of generalised outrage towards the manufacturer and the device. There is no explanation of the reason behind this sense of outrage, no attempt to engage the reader in understanding why the poster feels there is a problem, and no indication of what might solve it. It is weak communication because, while it adequately expresses the emotion, it contains no material content. And before anyone suggests that that's what poetry does, I refuse to engage with any community which communicates solely in haiku, either.

(I know whereof I speak, having spoken a dialect unintelligible to those from outside of the area in which I was born for several years until we moved (I was born in the Black Country) - definitely not BBC-speak...)
I assume, then, you're familiar with this computing system language.

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
I fail to see why this is a good thing. Regardless of how many posts it would take to bury myself, you are trying to judge others by your own standards. There are quite large problems with this approach that we should avoid if at all possible.
That is definitely a good point. However, I feel that this approach is too broad as it converges to infinity.

After all, if there's an idiot who insists that "lolz iPhone beats your communist ..." then he is part of his own troll subculture, and a nice large culture that is.

Not everything must be protected. There would be no evolution, no growing up, nothing would get improved, always protecting stuff.

A few nice things should be saved. Architecture, achievements, traditions. Lolcats are not in that category. Where we draw the line is indeed debatable, but that there IS a line is not in my opinion.

We could move it lower to be safe. I don't think it's wrong to have one.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
Do we need a defining standard to lower the usage of l33t speak and plain childish behavior simply for the love of childish behavior? (sorry, my spellchecker like "behavior" to "behaviour").
That's quite alright. Perhaps I should add Bryson's book to the pile?

I meant it's so easy a rule yet a mistery to so maby who misuse the apostrophe.
No, it really isn't simple. If it were, lots of ordinarily smart people would not be getting it wrong. The fact is, the use of the apostrophe in the English language is rather challenging and arbitrary. But, there are rules and they can be learned. However, a greengrocer is in the business of selling Onions, not teaching English as she should be spoke... (again, sic)

Since Kathy can quote Churchill, this is an apropos time to quote another world leader: 'You’re close, but you left a little something off. The e on the end. '

Dis great gud idea, I r very proud of u doodz.
Anyone kno when new firmware come out? and some new gamez, lol.
U dont ban lolz tho, k?

Does anyone know goodbye greetings in "internet slang"? I simply couldn't figure one out :|
Thanks

Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
It is weak communication because it communicates very little, The statement was "OMFG n900 is teh suxxor! Nokia haz jmpd da shark!" I think. Which communicates very little other than a sense of generalised outrage towards the manufacturer and the device. There is no explanation of the reason behind this sense of outrage, no attempt to engage the reader in understanding why the poster feels there is a problem, and no indication of what might solve it. It is weak communication because, while it adequately expresses the emotion, it contains no material content. And before anyone suggests that that's what poetry does, I refuse to engage with any community which communicates solely in haiku, either.
I second that, and I understand your point regarding content. But it's hard to tell if there is content unless you read it as a human, surely?

Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
I assume, then, you're familiar with this computing system language.
Absolutely. In fact, it's what made everything in computing make sense to me...

The Following User Says Thank You to smarsh For This Useful Post:
Whilst I'm on the subject, Kathy, your example of so-called weak communication is not weak at all, it's just an example of a sub culture. Perhaps even a dialect. Laziness be damned.
If you're referring to Ebonics I don't buy it. I served in the United States Navy for 5 years. During that time I was assigned to a computer shop that had 5 "African American" IT's, myself, and one other "white" guy.

I hate bringing race into things.. as I don't see things in that way... but you are specifically mention "Black-Country" and are referring to "culture" with which they are typically associated. So this example seems fitting.

Yes, I heard "axe" instead of "ask" several times. Apart from that... you could tell almost no difference between our speech. Even when they talked to "each other" (somehow implying a further categorization that just doesn't exist) they simply talked normal.

Speaking like an intelligent human being has nothing to do with race, or color. I don't care if everyone around you growing up spoke like a complete buffoon - that does not mean you have to. Even looking through the wiki it's constantly referring to "vernacular english", sudo-english, and also Black, African American, yada etc etc meh..

I'm sorry, that kind of thing just further enhances racism on both sides of the conflict. I'm not talking about things like "Colour" vs "Color", we all know UK English is slightly different than American English. "Bloody" I guess is a curse word of some sort? We rarely use it except to joke.

I'm also not referring to accent - an accent is fine. What I am referring to is completely obliterating the English language for the sake of creating a "sub-culture". That's just as ludicrous as l33t sp33k, or any other form of made-up language just to confuse people you're talking to to look "cool".

/rant
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
The n900 is grate what does everyone hear think.
Fixed for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
In your opinion. If I was to post:

The n900 is great what does everyone here think.

Does this make for better content?
Definitely not. Perhaps my example was a bit flawed, but I was trying to refer to all kinds of low-content posting, misspelled or not.

At some point it just becomes too frustrating to go through those kind of posts when trying to find some actual information. That's the point where I will silently leave, but I'm hoping I won't have to because this is still a good place to find information/get feedback for software development.

This will never work.

Slang has been a part of online communication (actually, all communication) since online communication began.

Implementing a system that changes that is not possible.

Trust me, I hate slang as much as the next guy, but it's naive to think that implementing this proposition will be a positive thing. All it will do is heighten the "snobs" persona we seem to have already acquired.

Plus, I can't spell "dog" if you told me it started with a "d" and ended in a "g".

Loosen up, a little slang won't hurt ya.

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

The Following User Says Thank You to BrentDC For This Useful Post:

A few nice things should be saved. Architecture, achievements, traditions. Lolcats are not in that category. Where we draw the line is indeed debatable, but that there IS a line is not in my opinion.

We could move it lower to be safe. I don't think it's wrong to have one.
Evolution doesn't care if something is nice or not. It just is. Regardless, your point is well made, that in a community forum such as this, a line can and most likely should be drawn. It's also true that the community should draw it.

While not wanting to weigh in on that point overmuch, is this a majority measure? If so, when the lolcats as you call them begin to outweigh those of us who speak proper, what happens?

We leave and start another forum? Perhaps. The process is, however, ultimately doomed to failure and we are doomed to miss out on potentially important developments just because we didn't like the way someone expressed themselves.

I'm truly not trying to argue against your thoughts here. Although it does seem like it, rather. I'm playing something of a Devil's Advocate, to be sure. This is because I do think that standards are important, but that trying to enforce them by a back door is not right.

Let me explain: It has become clear in the course of this discussion that in fact, you and others here are concerned about, for instance, trolls or lack of content in some posts, notwithstanding your professed liking of correct grammar. You have identified that invariably these posts have some grammatical or spelling problems. Therefore, you have deduced that bad grammar (or whatever) equates to lack of content or trollish posts. Therefore, spotting bad grammar (or whatever) will reduce the number of these posts.

Is it only me that sees the fallacy here?

Tags
back to school vs, back to the woods, community, expert system, grammar, improvement, lol, me talk pretty one day, spelling