Active Topics

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by maverick788us View Post
I am shattered that Lumia 920 will only support LTE that means it will not be available outisde US
Why not?

At least Nokia Finland and Sweden states that the 920 will availeable with LTE support. All three major networks in Finland support LTE. LTE is already set up in Nordic countries. I would assume its at least fairly common in rest of Europe as well.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
The new Lumias are what could have happened if confidence in MeeGo and the N9 was as strong as it needed to be for it to flourish.

Shattered? No. More like disappointed in Nokia for backing the wrong operating system with a better spec'd device that I'd rather be running MeeGo.
The funny or rather sad part is that Elop said that 3 MeeGo phones would be developed in 3 years (N9, N950, N9-01). How in the hell they managed to develop 5 Lumia devices? By simply overusing the N9 design. The amount of fail in Elop's speeches. It's clear he has MS on mind first, Nokia second. And another thing I hate, MS is mentioned much more than Nokia. I love what this guy said, "it used to be Nokia world, not Microsoft world."

The Following User Says Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:
How many of you are bothered about the thickness of Lumia 920? Is it too thick compared to today's generation high end smartphones?

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by patlak View Post
The funny or rather sad part is that Elop said that 3 MeeGo phones would be developed in 3 years (N9, N950, N9-01).
My understanding is that referred to the real MeeGo devices. N9/N950 are maemo devices with MeeGo API compatibility.

Nevertheless, I agree it was smokescreen and not honest assessment.

It's clear he has MS on mind first, Nokia second.
No argument there.

But we have Jolla. So I'm not "shattered" by these new Lumias. Just a little melancholic about the choices Nokia made.

The Following User Says Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
920 launching in 18 countries European countries.

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Malaysia
2 of the 3 op criteria met by N9. As of now,harmattan is more mature than wp8 and is more capable as an OS thAn wp8. So why wp over harmattan? stupid board, lying sack of shot elop.

The Following User Says Thank You to joelsk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
Originally Posted by patlak View Post
The funny or rather sad part is that Elop said that 3 MeeGo phones would be developed in 3 years (N9, N950, N9-01). How in the hell they managed to develop 5 Lumia devices? By simply overusing the N9 design. The amount of fail in Elop's speeches.
That isn't strictly true.

In 2011, Elop sat down with the Meego team to discuss the roadmap for Meego devices. What he found was that their roadmap consisted of releasing 3 devices between 2011 and 2014. Apparently, that was the "Oh *****, we're fcuked" moment that then motivated Elop to get into discussions with Google and Microsoft. Google never even tried to cut a deal to get Nokia onboard, so that left Microsoft as the only partner.

Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
But we have Jolla. So I'm not "shattered" by these new Lumias. Just a little melancholic about the choices Nokia made.
We have nothing until we see an actual product (or even a legit photo).

*only thing we have is our beloved N9/50s

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Philippines
I shat my pants when I saw the colors... The red! The yellow! Oh my god, the colors!

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
My understanding is that referred to the real MeeGo devices.
Yep he was, & it was subsequently torn to pieces by Felipe Contreas, one of Nokia's main MeeGo prototyping engineers (or was, not sure sure if he still is).

Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
In 2011, Elop sat down with the Meego team to discuss the roadmap for Meego devices. What he found was that their roadmap consisted of releasing 3 devices between 2011 and 2014. Apparently, that was the "Oh *****, we're fcuked" moment that then motivated Elop to get into discussions with Google and Microsoft. Google never even tried to cut a deal to get Nokia onboard, so that left Microsoft as the only partner.
No, the "oh ****" moment wasn't to do with ramping-up prototypes (it was about a range of other -still highly debatable- factors), he threw in that red-herring later.
That red-herring then ended-up being widely reported as THE single-biggest factor (alongside the "oh ****" stuff) which it wasn't, not even close.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-09-07 at 17:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post: