Works like a charm! Great job, as usual.

While testing this I came across another possible bug, but this is difficult to reproduce. If I assign two NFC tags to the same rule, ProfileMatic sometimes "forgets" the other one. It can't be seen in the NFC condition screen. Once the missing tag is added again, it works.

Like I said, I can't reproduce this now, but I'm fairly sure this happened at least twice last night. Maybe the new version fixed it or something, that I can't think of, triggers this behaviour.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slarti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by slarti View Post
While testing this I came across another possible bug, but this is difficult to reproduce. If I assign two NFC tags to the same rule, ProfileMatic sometimes "forgets" the other one. It can't be seen in the NFC condition screen. Once the missing tag is added again, it works.
That's peculiar... Let me know if you can reproduce it. But I guess you're rebooting your phone every now and then? The only way I can surmise something like that could happen is between device reboots. Ie. it either does not get written correctly to configuration file or fails to read it correctly.

I've myself been using just one NFC tag with rules so far, but I'll add to the rules some more to see if it happens.

Like I said, I can't reproduce this now, but I'm fairly sure this happened at least twice last night. Maybe the new version fixed it or something, that I can't think of, triggers this behaviour.
The new version had no changes on that, so I'm sure it'll come out again.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by slarti View Post
I've now looked into it, and it's definitely a bug. Like I suspected, it's a problem of saving more than one NFC tag. So after every reboot of phone only one NFC tag remains in the condition.

While that one is easy to fix, I ran into another potential problem with multiple NFC tags. I'll have to ponder a bit how to solve that, but I will incorporate this bug fix to the next version.

Thanks again for the bug report!

Hello there

First and foremost, congratulations ajalkane for making this wonderful App that (once again) puts our beloved N9 ahead of most smartphones in the market .

I've came here not only to congratulate you, but to do you a question:
Why is there a limit of 50 cell id's per rule?
Although thanks to this I understood I was doing something the wrong way, I'm still curious what made you put that limitation..

Thank in advance, and keep up the good work ,
Chinoman10.

The Following User Says Thank You to Chinoman10 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Chinoman10 View Post
Hello there

First and foremost, congratulations ajalkane for making this wonderful App that (once again) puts our beloved N9 ahead of most smartphones in the market .
Thank you.

I've came here not only to congratulate you, but to do you a question:
Why is there a limit of 50 cell id's per rule?
Although thanks to this I understood I was doing something the wrong way, I'm still curious what made you put that limitation..
It's mostly a value that I feel should be big enough to cover all reasonable use cases, but still keeping the amount of data within sane limits. There's several reasons why I wanted to have a limit in first place: 1) ProfileMatic UI discusses with the background process with d-bus. So I did not want huge amount of data to be transferred between them, as I'm not sure what the effect would be. 2) The configuration is stored in a text file. Parsing and writing it might get slow with huge amount of data. 3) It is easy for user to forget collecting on when covering an cell ids in an area for rule, so the limit helps avoiding unfortunate mistakes. 4) The UI will become slow to use if there are lots and lots of entries.

But basically the limit could be raised arbitrarily if there is convincing use case.

Alright, thanks for the enlightenment
As I expected, it does in fact make more sense that way
(one thing I tried to do was make the phone turn BT on when I'm on the road, and it returns to BT Off when I'm at home or College, but it doesn't make sense gathering all cells it can get on the road, just the starting points, and disable the "return state: on". Instead I just add "BT Off" on "Home" and "College" profiles which have a higher priority).

Another question:
My phone's battery now rarely lasts more than 24h... When I go and check, the "Device Idle" takes 70-80% of my battery life.
I used a dynamic background from the "Home Screen settings" for a week, and I DID notice it made my phone A LOT slower, so yesterday I disabled it.
Is it possible that your app is constantly draining a lot of battery, by having a persistent monitoring for the conditions? (I have around 10 profiles + default)
I also have MyMoves app constantly observing Swypes, maybe that aggravates as well...

Thanks in advance,
Chinoman10.

Originally Posted by Chinoman10 View Post
Another question:
My phone's battery now rarely lasts more than 24h... When I go and check, the "Device Idle" takes 70-80% of my battery life.
I used a dynamic background from the "Home Screen settings" for a week, and I DID notice it made my phone A LOT slower, so yesterday I disabled it.
Is it possible that your app is constantly draining a lot of battery, by having a persistent monitoring for the conditions? (I have around 10 profiles + default)
I also have MyMoves app constantly observing Swypes, maybe that aggravates as well...
ProfileMatic should not cause any significant battery drainage, at least that's how it's been designed to work. It's event based, meaning nothing happens unless the conditions change so that ProfileMatic must run actions. Of course user should take some care to design rules so that this does not happen by accident (an example might be covering an area of interest with all cell ids that are there, so that ProfileMatic won't flip flop between active rules, or by using sufficiently large timeout value).

But anyway, it's always possible, but if so I'd consider it a bug in ProfileMatic. I haven't noticed draining with the rules I'm using.

The Following User Says Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
ProfileMatic should not cause any significant battery drainage, at least that's how it's been designed to work. It's event based, meaning nothing happens unless the conditions change so that ProfileMatic must run actions. Of course user should take some care to design rules so that this does not happen by accident (an example might be covering an area of interest with all cell ids that are there, so that ProfileMatic won't flip flop between active rules, or by using sufficiently large timeout value).

But anyway, it's always possible, but if so I'd consider it a bug in ProfileMatic. I haven't noticed draining with the rules I'm using.
That's what I though
Thanks then ^^
It's always something different to talk with other devs directly

Later,
Chinoman10.

The Following User Says Thank You to Chinoman10 For This Useful Post:
I have submitted version 1.7.2 to Nokia Store. I'm hoping it's not as big a hell as getting 1.7.1 approved. This is just a bug fix release.

Changelog:
* Fix: Internet connection mode
* Fix: NFC condition with multiple tags. Saving multiple tags fixed. Toggling with multiple tags fixed.

Interesting. okay, so I finally got around to testing this. Version 1.7.1 installed, but it still doesn't apply profiles (default or any others.) So I searched through the thread, and found how to run it from command line so that I would be able to send you some logs.

Interesting part here, is that according to this post; http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=429

The path for starting up profilematicd is /opt/bin/profilematic/bin/profilematicd. This is incorrect, it's actually in /opt/profilematic/bin/profilematicd. When running it from the command line it works and my profile was automatically enabled.

Even more weirdness, is that when I restarted it by doing /sbin/initctl start apps/profilematicd under devel-su, it seems to work still. Must be something in the initial boot up that is causing it to only semi-work.

Any ideas? Or anyone else running into this?

slaapliedje
I have figured out the reason 'smartphones' were invented. They are for reading the internet while pooping. This means the best smartphone ever created is the N9. It is the only one that works so well single-handed.

Last edited by slaapliedje; 2012-09-22 at 14:50. Reason: Fixed formatting, I've been on a double-carriage return kick....

The Following User Says Thank You to slaapliedje For This Useful Post: