Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
What happened to 3199? No comments in bugzilla...

I can't call affirmation of the Diablo Community SSU an opening success. It doesn't open components - it just lets us distribute an update.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
What happened to 3199? No comments in bugzilla...

I can't call affirmation of the Diablo Community SSU an opening success. It doesn't open components - it just lets us distribute an update.
3199 was marked WONTFIX long ago - if it should be reconsidered, please submit a form and we'll see what happens.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
A small comment though: Licensing changes take time. Sometimes up to three-four months. They don't happen overnight. Best thing to do is to submit requests so they can be processed and at some point, we should start having a steady stream of things getting opened. Currently 3 requests are being considered internally.

I didn't expect miracles the first two weeks of this queue, but what we do have, is a framework for making things happen and keep track of the requests.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
OK. "up to three-four months" have passed. And I think we have seen Nokia open exactly 0 packages. That's very encouraging.

But it is good that we have a framework for keeping track of requests. I am sure that more closed systems such as Android and Iphone do not have a framework.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
A lot of Nokia closed development has gone open for MeeGo in the meantime. Way beyond the requests in the queue.

Sure, this doesn't benefit Maemo 5 developers in the short term but anyway open platform development is focused on MeeGo right now.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
What does that mean? I don't understand.
No more closed packages will be opened?

regards
Nicolai

The Following User Says Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Right now, it seems the worst case will be we're stuck with a few automatically built binary blobs, as long as we build around MeeGo, everything else is doable. Keeping a maemo UX is from my perspective more about the apps, which are quite closed and will need to be replaced.

This thread started after MeeGo announcement. Now you tell us that since MeeGo exists, there is no real chance of opening closed packages of Maemo 5?

So was this "queue" nothing but a PR ploy from Nokia to gain some time? Like "QT apps will work on N900, except for our apps"? Or "optification hack is temporary, where temporary is defined (six months later) as for all lifetime of N900"? Or "Community Meego will be a real option for users of N900"?

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
This thread started after MeeGo announcement. Now you tell us that since MeeGo exists, there is no real chance of opening closed packages of Maemo 5?

So was this "queue" nothing but a PR ploy from Nokia to gain some time? Like "QT apps will work on N900, except for our apps"? Or "optification hack is temporary, where temporary is defined (six months later) as for all lifetime of N900"? Or "Community Meego will be a real option for users of N900"?
Erm.. I'm not a fan of closed things either... but I'm not sure how you're links apply to what you're saying...

Ovi Maps is a little more complex than your standard app on a phone. But also, I believe it's Closed.. so it's not like we can port it over.. they'd have to. So it's not really that it couldn't (I wouldn't think), just that they won't (may not) be putting the effort into it. QT apps should work across most the different devices if you've got the source..

And Mer != MeeGo... that one was totally out in left field...

In any case.. I too am annoyed at how Maemo 5 gets dismissed so quickly now. Effectively qgil said that Maemo 5 Dev's won't get helped right now.. but once those dev's buy the next MeeGo device they'll be OK...

(ok, I'm obviously taking that a little into the extreme.. but I do wish more focus would be put on the device that actually exists.. and has users.. right now..)
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I'm just really confused.

Nokia has no incentive to monetize anything around the N900 at this point, barring components that will be utilized for MeeGo devices as well.

The community has a lot of incentive to get currently proprietary Maemo components opened.

It makes sense for Nokia to open whatever they can ASAP. This isn't simply about euros, yen or dollars-- its about open source business currencies like trust and goodwill. The less Nokia accomodates those, the more they stand to lose monetarily in future endeavors. Can the company afford that? I think not.

Nokia HAS to repair its mindshare, fast, and this is a techncially easy way to accomplish that. So it's obviously politics holding this up. What will it take to change the necessary minds?

Goodwill goes farther than money in this world. Nokia has the right cultural climate to get this (I know first hand)-- it's just a matter of walking the walk.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post: