Active Topics

Originally Posted by colnago View Post
The top (4) process are pretty much Conky, @ 2-3%, and some others at less than 1%. I guess I'm looking at it from a Windows PC standpoint...and maybe the DROID as well. Even though the processes were listed , they weren't hitting the processor/battery. I was just shocked to see so many, but if the system architecture is "different", so be it.
Yeah.. Android and Windows wrap most things into a single process. Windows varies a little bit.. especially if you script in vbs and call other scripts.. you'll wind up with several wscript processes. But mostly.. it's all one. Android... I am not fully convinced it actually *shows* you every process on the system.. I've used task managers.. it does't feel right...

Duh. I have a rooted Android.. lets see here (pulls out of pocket): Advanced Task manager shows.. 24 processes, and 6 applications running. As root in a shell: ps | wc -l shows 58 processes. Yeah - it's not showing everything .

Linux is a little different. Just as an example.. on a Linux apache server you can have 60 or more processes *just* for apache.. not including everything else (on a higher load server).

So basically.. if Android had Conky and I was running your conky script it would show me as running 58 processes (and that's still probably not the full picture, since androids "ps" doesn't have any options like "ef" or "lax") - but I only see maybe 10 at any given time in the various process monitors that android has.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
This is not the status monitor you are looking for...
Well my thread's purpose was two fold. I was curious about the "unusually" (to me) high amount of open/running processes, again, no apps running nor clients logged in, and whether it contributes to the rapid battery drain.

I posted the Droid's battery usage monitor as it kinda confirmed what was "its" battery hog (screen/brightness). Problem with the 900 is that even when its "idle" (i.e. I can actually get myself to put it down and walk away) it still won't last 24hours.

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
So basically.. if Android had Conky and I was running your conky script it would show me as running 58 processes (and that's still probably not the full picture, since androids "ps" doesn't have any options like "ef" or "lax") - but I only see maybe 10 at any given time in the various process monitors that android has.
Yeah, but 186...with nothing "on"? Dayum!

Android isn't real (read: GNU) Linux . Android has JUST the linux kernel, and then the dalvik VM overlay. So what you're looking at is there are 58 processes.. take away maybe the 24 that I can control with the advanced task manager (since I'm thinking it only sees the processes within the dalvik) - leaves a little over 30 *just* for the core OS/Kernel+raw Android.

In Maemo.. you have that 30, plus additional that the base Android would handle itself.. like Sound, X, Multimedia, etc. There are like 5 or 10 just "hildon" pieces that run just to give you the basic Maemo interface, for example.

I see your point that 186 seems high when looking at others... but just trust us - it's not that bad . (Unless of course someone else gets on here with a perfectly functional N900 and claims they only have 58 processes running to. )
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Problem with the 900 is that even when its "idle" (i.e. I can actually get myself to put it down and walk away) it still won't last 24hours.
That's not a typical experience, so i can understand why you'd be looking for answers. It should last more than 48 hours on just voice network standby.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
That's not a typical experience, so i can understand why you'd be looking for answers. It should last more than 48 hours on just voice network standby.
Yeah, I have another smartphone (Motorola Q, with 2nd OEM battery, extended OEM battery, and even larger 3rd party extended battery), and had a 30 day stint with (2) different Droids, along with my girl's e71, so I've been "exposed" to smartphone battery life, and conditioning, etc. I also have a 2nd OEM battery for the 900, which exhibits similar performance.

I have had WiFi on all day, connected to my SIP account and Skype conncurrently, along with (3) email accounts, and OM Weather polling every hour. Even with WiFi on, and the phone "sleeping", I can't imagine much data being transfered for "keep alives". I still don't go 24hrs. even on 2G/2.5G, when also factoring in maybe an hour of general use.

For what its worth, it seems like drain rate has increased over the past 2 days, given same useage patterns.

Yeah, but 186...with nothing "on"? Dayum!

Well lets take for example here;

My slimmed down Gentoo box running minimal applications except what I typically use. We're looking at 3 terms, audio, pidgin, a webbrowser, xchat, and two gkrellms and I'm looking at 253 processes. Though, the composite total of cpu used across all four cores is only 1-2% as I type this. (No individual processor is spiking over 9%)

I also have an eight core Fedora install for a client for samba sharing and just your normal network services for a business and they're looking at 522 processes. This install is bloated as hell (done by another admin) with literally nothing done to slim the base install and it's only running composite cpu at 25% max, for a network of six users.

So really, it's not at all in how many processes you're running. Most of mine on this box are doing nothing but sleeping, and even with 250 processes running I'm still only seeing very low cpu usage.

Normal processes go to sleep when there's nothing to do anymore, and they pretty much just idle there not doing or using very much.

I've had linux boxes running on Pentium Pro 200mhz machines with 96mb of ram running 128 processes (and more); It's all in what those processes are/are doing!

ps -ef | wc -l
reports 157 processes at the moment (three of them would be the xterm, the ps, the wc). That's just fine, and normal. The important thing is that 'top' shows 1-2% CPU and nothing is running wild. Battery time is good.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
why did this get moved to the OS forum?
The topic of the thread doesn't specifically relate to the N900. Say Nokia sent you a free N910, a Maemo 5 device almost identical to the N900, but without the hardware keyboard and with 64 GB of internal storage. When you installed Conky there, would the number of threads you saw be significantly different?

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ NE UK
If you go in to xterm as root, and run:

ps auxw | more

you can page through the list of running processes and see what's going on.. it's really quite educaitonal, especially if you google all the ones you don't immediately recognise

One thing to be aware of is that kernel threads will show up as processes, for example, from my ps output:

2 root 0 SW [kthreadd]
3 root 0 SW [ksoftirqd/0]
4 root 0 SW [events/0]
5 root 0 SW [khelper]
6 root 0 SW [kblockd/0]
7 root 0 SW [cqueue]
8 root 0 SW [twl4030-irqchip]
9 root 0 SW [twl4030-irq]
10 root 0 RW [omap2_mcspi]
11 root 0 SW [ksuspend_usbd]
12 root 0 SW [khubd]
15 root 0 SW [kswapd0]
16 root 0 SW [aio/0]
25 root 0 SW [ubi_bgt0d]
26 root 0 SW [kondemand/0]
27 root 0 SW [ubifs_bgt0_0]
101 root 1664 S /sbin/udevd --daemon
207 root 0 SW [vibra]
400 root 0 SW [bluetooth]
416 root 0 SW [nokia-av]
419 root 0 SW [kmmcd]
456 root 0 DW [wl12xx]
498 root 0 SW [mmcqd]
are mostly kernel threads (the square brackets indicate that, iirc).

Also, a lot of the hildon stuff seems to register twice:

979 user 3936 S /usr/bin/hildon-status-menu
980 user 114m S /usr/bin/hildon-status-menu
982 user 3936 S /usr/bin/hildon-home
984 user 100m S /usr/bin/hildon-home
986 user 3936 S /usr/bin/hildon-desktop
988 user 111m S /usr/bin/hildon-desktop
probably because of the way the code is written - I'm guessing there's a parent process which has spawned a child process and is ready to spawn another one if the child dies, or something like that ..

On my N900 I seem to have fewer processes than you:

Nelly:~# ps auxw | wc -l
Nelly:~#
so only 140. I guess applets and desktop widgets might account for the difference?

The real factors, though, as mentioned, are cpu memory usage, the number of running processes is of mostly academic interest if those two stats are ok.

The cpumem widget can show you both of those.. Mine tend to be at ~130-150M memory use, and ~3-5% cpu use when I'm not doing anything on the N900, which seems fine (I have only a couple of desktop widgets installed, cpumem and slideshow, I also run sshd and camkeyd)

The Following User Says Thank You to kwotski For This Useful Post:

Tags
active processes, battery drain, battery life, conky, cpu use, fremantle, idle, kill process, kill processes, linux, maemo, maemo 5, process, processes, under the hood