Active Topics

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
After all the FUN here with the N900, do you guys think Meego will be as OPEN as Maemo was?

The openness is what brought me to the N900.

Erm...

It's supposed to be more open...

Maemo has closed components.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
MeeGo will be open, but MeeGo AFAIU is only the basis for companies to build their OS on, adding DRM, trust zones, etc. Much like Android, I suppose.
The DRM implementation might be opensource but the resulting device wouldn't be open.

Last edited by pycage; 2010-02-17 at 18:51.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
I consider the N900 to be the "most" open device today. But it is not fully open. There is proprietary software (drivers, mainly).

Whats with the misleading sensationalist title? Of course it won't be the last, it wasn't the first either.

Posts: 490 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hannover-Germany-EU-Earth
i think the point is, that we can do many things with our root access on the n900, e.g. changing the color of the led, editing system files of the ui (e.g. reboot button) and things like that.

The question for me is, if this is still possible with meego... its no problem for me if there are some parts in the os which are closed (security related things a.s.o. has to be closed) but it would make meego a bad open os, if its not at least as open as maemo5

lets hope...

-B-

I think this is a matter of individual devices and whether they're locked to a carrier. As long as there are still companies like Nokia making unlocked phones with easy root access, I don't see a problem. I'll just avoid any devices that are crippled.

Originally Posted by Brock View Post
The question for me is, if this is still possible with meego... its no problem for me if there are some parts in the os which are closed (security related things a.s.o. has to be closed) but it would make meego a bad open os, if its not at least as open as maemo5
-B-
Security-related things don't have to be closed - DRM has to be closed or it would take minutes to break rather than hours or days.

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Santiago, Chile
i did read somewhere that with meego it will be a lot more easier for the device to be carrier crippled...

i really hope there will still be open devices around. i hate nothing more then to having to jailbreak a device to be able to install certain applications or use the device my way
recent phone / tablett history SE W900, Nokia E65, Nokia N95-8GB / N900

The Following User Says Thank You to 77h For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
AFAIK, there are no fully open phones available generally. The closest small device (if you are willing to give up phone capabilities beyond VOIP) is probably the Archos 5 with the Angstrom Linux Distro installed (as a dual boot with Android).

http://www.archos.com/products/imt/a...try=us&lang=en