Notices

The camera on my n900 hasn't been working for some time, or so I thought. Whenever I would open the camera App it would tell me to open lens cover even if it's already opened or sometimes it's just a black screen.
Later I tried gst-launch v4l2src device=/dev/video1 ! autovideosink to check the front camera, and it worked. Then I had the idea to check the back camera (normal camera) by switching "video1" to "video0" and it worked. Meaning that the camera does work.
So the problem is that the lens cover sensor doesn't detect the lens cover. What I need is a way for the camera app to bypass the sensor so it would work without needing the lens cover to be open.

Can an x-terminal command be used to make the phone think its cover is open?

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Just a silly thought, but... the N900 detects the open camera cover by a photo cell that senses light reflected by the white square at the back of the cover. I'm sure you've checked it already, but... what if there is some scratch or dirt stuck there that somehow inhibits the sensor? That would be an easy fix...

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
I've checked the sensor and it's clean. I think it's an internal problem like some circuits. Either I get the phone fixed manually or I make the phone think that the lens cover is open.
Thanks for your contribution.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oblivion129 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=88793&page=2

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
I tried the code on Queen BeeCon Widget and it seems to work because it makes my Camera App go to "Standby" but after a few seconds it goes back to "Open Lens Cover."
Thanks a lot, though.

The Following User Says Thank You to Oblivion129 For This Useful Post: