Active Topics

Posts: 280 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Banyuwangi, Indonesia
I know that Nokia Pure is the right font for N9, but just a curious thought after notice the font in the first preview of N950 is using Nokia Sans

So, is there anybody who already change their system fonts and willing to share a complete tutorial to change the whole system fonts? Plus some warning (if theres any) for the consequences.

Or maybe theres somebody who already has tried to build an app or setting to change the system font?

Many thanks

UPDATE:
Long story shorted, i use FontManager to change my N9's font, and it works.
But there's one problem, FontManager can't change font script that using FONT_FAMILY_LIGHT, i change some scripts with FONT_FAMILY light and the font change like it should be, the next problems is there are too many .css files that i have to change the script manually.

Is there any shortcut way, so i can change all FONT_FAMILY_LIGHT scripts in all .css files to FONT_FAMILY light in just one command?
Attached Images

Last edited by efion; 2012-10-17 at 17:19.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
I know ceroberts75 has changed his font system-wide...

It was kind of mentioned in this forum quite some while back how its done; i can't seem to remember it...You may want to search or pm ceroberts75...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Ok I found this post from qwazix that may help...Check it out...

i refer to this thread :
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=80109

looks like he's asking too

Originally Posted by efion View Post
i refer to this thread :
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=80109

looks like he's asking too
thats pretty old... Read some of his cyan75 theme posts and you will See his font is different

i've got the main idea in qwazix thread, but both qwazix and ceroberts75 was run in PR1.2.
I explore usr/share/fonts/, there are bunch of folders down there, i dont know where to start.
And also there's a folder: /usr/share/fonts/nokia/Nokia Sans/ probably contain Nokia Sans font, maybe some commands to trigger that folder? (I'm sorry, lucky guess )

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Thedead1440 beat me to it, with the link to that post. Without trying though my first guess is that replacing the ttf files with others, even with the same filename might not work (due to 5a in the linked post), but it's worth a try. You'll probably have to delete Nokia Pure altogether from /usr/share/fonts if it's going to work.

The correct way to tackle this is to find the css declaration for the fonts which I assume it should be included as a constant, not declared many times. Ask a theme maker, s/he'll probably know.

Another more hackish way if the previous one doesn't bear fruit is to open your font in fontforge, change the name to Nokia Pure, rename just like the font names in /usr/share/fonts/nokia/Nokia Pure and replace. This last solution will most probably work, but if your font has significantly different metrics than Nokia Pure you might notice texts off-center (or even off-container) in some complex ui structures like the timepicker or the dialer.

PS. I still run the PR1.1 font in PR1.3. That method still works. However in that case both fonts are named Nokia Pure.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
okay, looks like this task was not as easy as i thought.
i don't want to ruin my N9, because of its my main phone.
thanks for a little hint, but still need a clear and persistent tutorial to make this mod right.

i will leave it here, probably somebody want to try the qwazix's way but in NOKIA SANS, precisely like what i'm thinking in first post

Note: sorry, it could be a big hint for anybody who understand how it's going to be

Last edited by efion; 2012-10-17 at 08:07.

Posts: 665 | Thanked: 2,388 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Zagreb, Croatia
There is an easier way an much more safe one. All done as user.
Study Fontconfig. A Linux font manager, also used by N9.
There is an app in repos called Fontmanager too

The Following User Says Thank You to knobtviker For This Useful Post:
i have tried Fontmanager, but it's not works for me.
Well, i'll try it again, and googling the step-by-step tutorial

The Following User Says Thank You to efion For This Useful Post: