Active Topics

I was waiting to be able to put my order for a Jolla.

But my fear become true: yesterday I broke my Nokia, E61i so now I need to find a substitute.

No one know how much time is needed before the Jolla online shop will be open? In the meantime I can resume a old Nokia that lie in the dust since some time.

Immediate alternative can be only for me find a old N9 or go for a BB10.

I tested a BB10 after launch and didn't convinced me, but maybe the new version it's better.

Last edited by davide445; 2013-12-15 at 10:01.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Hi, didn't you create the same thread yesterday?

Oh my bad we discussed in a the cancelled jolla thread.

I say wait for next jolla phone, ubuntu phone or tizen phone. Buy a cheap phone(n9 maybe) until then. Unless you know what you want and its a beta phone with bugs and issues but with a new OS. Then go jPhone l.

If you aren't a total rookie you can always try out sailfish on you n9. (but don't do it if you don't know what you are doing. it can brake your device)

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90761

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZHtXQKDp68

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-12-15 at 10:13.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Hi, didn't you create the same thread yesterday?

Oh my bad we discussed in a the cancelled jolla thread.

I say wait for next jolla phone, ubuntu phone or tizen phone. Buy a cheap phone(n9 maybe) until then. Unless you know what you want and its a beta phone with bugs and issues but with a new OS. Then go jPhone l.
Yes was inside a specific thread, now asking for advice among tree different devices.

If I will wait will be for Jolla. Need I or going for N9 or BB10 make sense?

I'm a rookie so will not be able to try Sailfish on N9.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by davide445 View Post
Yes was inside a specific thread, now asking for advice among tree different devices.

If I will wait will be for Jolla. Need I or going for N9 or BB10 make sense?
We can't answer this for you becouse we don't know what you want and need. All three make sense.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
We can't answer this for you becouse we don't know what you want and need. All three make sense.
Not interested to many apps, only for these features

- Calendar: use for appointments and daily tasks. need to be possible to create both tasks and appointments in the same day, and to display it in "home" such as in mine E61i
- Notes: I use a lot for business notes or in general as a notepad. need to be able to order the whole note list by creation date.
- VoIP such as Skype, Rebtel, GTalk and also a generic SIP client. Whatsapp nice to have, not mandatory.
- Offline turn by turn navigation
- Battery that last 1 day of heavy usage or 2-3 of normal one
- Not really interested to multimedia capabilities
- morning alarm that work also with off device
- email working with IMAP/POP3/Exchange. Not interested to sync calendars
- not interested to social apps
- in many ways replicate the nice business features of E61i (such as number extraction from SMS), that was slow and not so easy to use but does integrate almost all the tricks needed for a business usage

Not interested to many apps, only for these features

- Calendar: use for appointments and daily tasks. need to be possible to create both tasks and appointments in the same day, and to display it in "home" such as in mine E61i
- Notes: I use a lot for business notes or in general as a notepad. need to be able to order the whole note list by creation date.
- VoIP such as Skype, Rebtel, GTalk and also a generic SIP client. Whatsapp nice to have, not mandatory.
- Offline turn by turn navigation
- Battery that last 1 day of heavy usage or 2-3 of normal one
- Not really interested to multimedia capabilities
- morning alarm that work also with off device
- email working with IMAP/POP3/Exchange. Not interested to sync calendars
- not interested to social apps
- in many ways replicate the nice business features of E61i (such as number extraction from SMS), that was slow and not so easy to use but does integrate almost all the tricks needed for a business usage
You are a business user. Forget about these beta devices.

Then Galaxy note lll is you weapon of choice, Man! It's exxellent for notes. The best! If you can't afford it go galaxy note ll or nexus 5.

The only think you it can't do is ringing with device off. But you can select to boot device, let it wake you up and turn of device. But thats not the same thing plus its needs some tweaking.

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-12-15 at 10:50.

What does your gut say?

If you can't decide get a iPhone/Nexus 5.

I'm flattered

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Your needs surpass the present day Jolla phone unless you use Android apps to fill the gap.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Your needs surpass the present day Jolla phone unless you use Android apps to fill the gap.
And N9? Or BB10?

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I was waiting to be able to put my order for a Jolla.

But my fear become true: yesterday I broke my Nokia, E61i so now I need to find a substitute.

No one know how much time is needed before the Jolla online shop will be open? In the meantime I can resume a old Nokia that lie in the dust since some time.

Immediate alternative can be only for me find a old N9 or go for a BB10.

I tested a BB10 after launch and didn't convinced me, but maybe the new version it's better.
BB10 is indeed a bit hard to fathom at first but it's an excellent mobile OS and with the prices of the Z10 where they are, I'd definitely recommend it.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob