here is the bug report, and a link to the bug to vote for it

https://harmattan-bugs.nokia.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1081

OPERATING SYSTEM:
Meego Harmattan

PRECONDITIONS
Built in browser

STEPS LEADING TO THE PROBLEM:
1. Open default browser (web icon)
2. Tap the right edge of the screen (be careful not to start a swipe)

EXPECTED OUTCOME:
Try it on PR1.1 to see the expected behavior.
Short description: When you tap on the top or bottom of the right edge of the screen the page scrolls up or down. If you tap at the middle of the right edge the page toggles zoom in and out to overview/reading magnification.

ACTUAL OUTCOME:
Nothing happens. Sometimes the nearest link is followed

FREQUENCY OF OCCURRENCE:
Always

NOTE:
I am not sure this was an intended behavior in PR1.1 but it was really useful. Now I find myself always clicking on unwanted links trying to zoom in and out.

Pinch zoom is difficult with one hand, and double-tap does not always produce a sensible reading magnification (especially on wide blocks of text, or blocks of text with right floats in them). Middle tapping the right edge solved that problem brilliantly. Also scrolling with tapping was faster than swiping for longer pages.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Cool... I didn't even know it behaved like that previously. And can't test it anymore as my devices are PR 1.2 :P. Sounds really useful.

The Following User Says Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
http://youtu.be/EU3fLmGnP24

video uploaded from a test device on RDA with PR1.1 behavior

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
by the way it's now possible to click links outside the screen, if you tap on the edge

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on May 2012 @ London
Hey just to let you know this feature still exists in 1.2 - found it again by accident. You need to double tap on the edge of the screen now for it to work.

Preferred the old one tap way but i guess I'll get used to it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dip86 For This Useful Post:
Awesome They should document these changes somewhere...

(And thanks for registering to tell me. Stick around)

Last edited by qwazix; 2012-05-14 at 22:14.

No probs - been visiting these forums for ages now and gotten plenty of useful and interesting info so thought I might as well give a little back.

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by dip86 View Post
Hey just to let you know this feature still exists in 1.2 - found it again by accident. You need to double tap on the edge of the screen now for it to work.

Preferred the old one tap way but i guess I'll get used to it.
placebo feature, it has always been that double tap on anywhere on screen does the zoomin/zoomout (in addition to pinch gesture). Getting scrollbars to show with dragging gesture on the screen (and then using swipe up and down) has always been there, you just happen to init dragging gesture (to show scrollbars) with tap/double tap sometimes.

PS. userguide page 41, but most people don't read the manuals.

Last edited by rainisto; 2012-05-15 at 06:33.

Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
placebo feature, it has always been that double tap on anywhere on screen does the zoomin/zoomout (in addition to pinch gesture). Getting scrollbars to show with dragging gesture on the screen (and then using swipe up and down) has always been there, you just happen to init dragging gesture (to show scrollbars) with tap/double tap sometimes.

PS. userguide page 41, but most people don't read the manuals.
Sorry but I think you've misunderstood. In PR1.1 it was possible to scroll a webpage vertically by single tapping near the left/right upper/lower edge of the screen. This is in contrast to holding your finger on part of the page and dragging your finger to scroll.

Also it was possible to apply 3(?) consistent levels of zoom to a page by single tapping in the middle of the left/right/bottom edge of the screen. This is in contrast to double tapping or expanding two fingers on a page.

I think this edge tapping behaviour still exists in PR1.2 although requires a double tap to occur now which make the zooming bit quite a bit more difficult/less useful than it was in PR1.1

(Sorry if I've got this all wrong but I was on PR1.1 for a good while thanks to owning a Portuguese n9 so am pretty sure i wasn't accidentally initiating scroll/zoom with one tap to the edge of the screen. I suppose the double tapping on edge to zoom in PR1.2 could be a placebo though)

The Following User Says Thank You to dip86 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
if rainisto says it then its surely a placebo...he's been with the n9 since 2010 so knows his stuff