Notices

OK. I love my N9. There is only one thing missing: Amazon Kindle. Now, I see absolutely no way that Amazon is going to get around to producing Kindle software for Maemo.

So I've been thinking about workaround, and was wondering what people thing about these approaches:

1. Fool Amazon Cloud Reader into working on the N9. Currently it throws up an 'unsupported browser' error. But, it might be possible to either get the official browser (or possibly Chromium) working by playing with the user agent string or equivilient.

2. Get DosBox working. We could then run a single application install of Windows95 working (and use an old version of Kindle for PC). Alternatively, we could use WINE under Linux under DosBox...

3. Get a working copy of Alien Dalvik (or alternative) and then use the apk of Android Kindle.

Does anyone have any ideas which (if any) of these ideas is the most promising. Or am I wasting my time?

Many thanks

Robert

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcs1000 For This Useful Post:
i need a .prc reader on n9!

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
(1) would be the best option as the cloud reader is really good and perfect for a touch screen.

My experience tells me that you can forget about Amazon's native kindle apps for mobiles. I've tried them on Android and WP and they're basically useless. The WP version only crashes and the Android version renders most pages empty on phone and shows weird swiping behavior on tablet. You simply cannot read a book with these Kindle apps.
The cloud reader OTOH is rock solid!

Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
fbreader supports prc.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Kindle for webos maybe? Using marmistrz work?

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Just use Calibre to get rid of the drm, then do whatever you want with the texts. I don't know why you would want Kindle software otherwise.