Active Topics

Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Not wanting to fall in to the wishlist trap, but how possible would MHL (hdmi out through micro usb) be to impliment in the neo900?
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Ahh, I see post 139 My search used "MHL" so completely missed this as the conversation did not use that term. My bad, should have searched again

Still good to hear others talking about this, and it does sound as if estel and I are on the same plane of thought with not changing the n900 case in favor of using an external adapter.
My bad for not using term MHL - in part, it was due to me being unable to remember exact market name for this "technology", but I also didn't wanted to suggest that I'm all about certain way of doing it - I just wanted to indicate, that there *are* methods of achieving it even if N900's case is used.
---

Now, I know reality'n'stuff, but this would *really* be a "killer feature" (I dislike this term, frankly, but it fits here). Worth quite an increase in price, if working flawlessly. I strongly encourage to at least consider it, evaluating how much it would change price (if doable at all), etc.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2013-09-01 at 22:57.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Now, I know reality'nstuff, but this would *really* be a "killer feature" (I dislike this term, frankly, but it fits here). Worth quite an increase in price, if working flawlessly. I strongly encourage to at least consider it, evaluating how much it would change price (if doable at all), etc.
Don't worry, it will be evaluated. If it turns to be technologically and economically possible then for sure it'll happen

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Personally I would go for the lowest price possible and no additional features at all (except the already mentioned improvements) .
There are not a lot of people willing to pay 700 and every additional feature will increase the price even more.
I am not interested in MHL, 4G or any other fancy features. Just give me a solid, bug free and open N900 that has slightly better specs and good battery life.
An improved microsd slot would also be welcome if it will not increase costs.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by t-b View Post
Personally I would go for the lowest price possible and no additional features at all (except the already mentioned improvements) .
There are not a lot of people willing to pay 700 and every additional feature will increase the price even more.
I am not interested in MHL, 4G or any other fancy features. Just give me a solid, bug free and open N900 that has slightly better specs and good battery life.
As explained in my one post above, additional features are mostly "for free", since the BOM increase is only "a few cents" for many of them. I'd say when dropping all the nice additional features like gyro, baro, compass, etc pp, we might be able to reduce price by maybe 50 bucks max.
LTE vs 3G is probably also 50 to 100 bucks but that might actually well be an option on ordering, since the 601 and 801 are pin compatible and it doesn't matter which one we solder onto your board.
Generally I think people who are already willing to pay a steep 700 bucks for a device like this one would probably rather be interested in getting the best, a real feature monster for a slightly higher price like 739, than the bare minimum for a still steep 690 bucks.

On a sidenote: it seems N900 camera is easily sourceable (particularly when it's correct that it is same module as used in N95 and several other phones), alas it costs ~50EUR. Well, as already mentioned you can re-use an already available broken or retired N900 to canibalize the parts, and you just buy the "bare bones board" GTA04-N900 to swap DIY, just like for GTA04. This will be significanlty lower price than a complete Neo900

cheers
jOERG

[EDIT] Sorry I completely forgot: what do you mean by "improved uSD card slot"? SDXC?

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-09-01 at 23:57.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Generally I think people who are already willing to pay a steep 700 bucks for a device like this one would probably rather be interested in getting the best, a real feature monster for a slightly higher price like 739, than the bare minimum for a still steep 690 bucks.
cheers
jOERG
Absolutely agree, and judging by dos1's and yours answer, I feel much more "relaxed" about how the device will turn out. You know, the kind of feeling that "all that is possible will be delivered". and if something is not going to made it, there will be a damn good technical reason for it (instead of political one, as often seen with product from "big companies").

Keeping my thumbs (and neons) even harder!

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by t-b View Post
Well, in my opinion, this point of view is something that we can't avoid to consider.
Probably, i'm the first one ready to spend a lot of money for great features...
But, OPEN should also mean a device available for many people...also for the ones that can't or don't want spend too much.

So what? Yes, i know, our name is not ZOKIA.. And engineering, production costs.. are really high. BUT we should keep always an eye on modularity and components that could be optional.
The maximum would be have a basic board filled with sockets....just like an upgraded N800 where everyone could add the modules he needs. (gsm module,camera,connectivity module, sdr module.... ...)
This could also ensure some future upgrade of the modules that could be changed when a new technology will become avalable.

Last edited by xes; 2013-09-02 at 00:10.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xes For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xes View Post
Well, in my opinion, this point of view is something that we can't avoid to consider.
Probably, i'm the first one ready to spend a lot of money for great features...
But, OPEN should also mean a device available for many people...also for the ones that can't or don't want spend too much.

So what? Yes, i know, our name is not ZOKIA.. And engineering, production costs.. are really high. BUT we should keep always an eye on modularity and components that could be optional.
The maximum would be have a basic board filled with sockets....just like an upgraded N800 where everyone could add the modules he needs. (gsm module,camera,connectivity module, sdr module.... ...)
This could also ensure some future upgrade of the modules that could be changed when a new technology will become avalable.
This often discussed modularity concept, however obvious and plausible and intuitive it may appear on first glance, is basically a logical hoax, a trick of the senses. There's a lot of implications, but for sake of the S/N ratio in this thread, I just say: sockets for chips cost more than the chips themselves, are not reliable, and often 4 times the size of the chip.
Please start a separate thread for discussing modularization in embedded! Thanks!

PS: Apropos GPS. we might just use the GPS that comes with basically all WWAN (GSM) modules nowadays, definitely the Option GTM(6|8)01 come with GPS already. I'm aware of the security/privacy and openness implications this introduces, but some of the security/privacy can get re-established by controlling the GPS antenna which is pretty simple to disable programmatically via a "switch" that's under exclusive control of the application processor.

cheers
jOERG

aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-09-02 at 01:45.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Re GPS:
I know it may not be kind of idea that get through - and I can perfectly live without it, so think about it as something like SDR ideas, just this one being easier to implement - but, I wonder, how costly would it be to use hybrid GPS/GLONASS module, instead of only-GPS one?

Rationale:

1. Combined GPS/GLONASS receivers offer better accuracy and greatly reduced lock time, even without support from techniques like A-GPS. Accuracy gain compared to sole GPS or GLONASS is most visible in urban/mountain/canyon areas.

2. On high latitudes (north or south), GLONASS' accuracy is better than that of GPS due to the orbital position of the satellites. Being hybrid GPS/GLONASS, both systems can compliment themselves, resulting in square increase of accuracy even in situations, where ne system alone is severely lacking.

3. Both systems use selective, area-based denial of service (countries inside conflict zones, usually), controlled by US for GPS and Rus. Fed. for GLONASS. Hoever, considering political situation (contrary interests of said goverments), it is highly unlikely, that both systems will get (purposely) off-line for the same area, at the same time.

The last point is especially important for people who (like me) often travel to/through "unstable" countries.
---

Now, as said, I understand that there may be marginal interest for such feature, so it is only feasible if hybrid receivers aren't much more pricey. Still, *if* feasible, it would be nice thing to have - considering rapid development of GLONASS, hybrid receivers seems to be future for mobile devices, too (quite a lot of tablets/phones have it already, and most car systems produced from 2015 will mandatory contain hybrid modules).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Last edited by Estel; 2013-09-02 at 04:20.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
[...] I wonder, how costly would it be to use hybrid GPS/GLONASS module, instead of only-GPS one?
[...]
/Estel
See http://www.roundsolutions.com/techdocs/ds/GTM801U.pdf http://www.qualcomm.com/media/blog/2...ion-your-phone
gpsOne Gen8A, supporting S-GPS,
A-GPS, gpsOneXtra™ concurrent with
Glonass
:-D

/j

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-09-02 at 05:57.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
white version?

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!