Posts: 152 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Shanghai, China
Android has the widgets, so as maemo 5, but Harmattan is more iOS-like, only menu of applications.

Besides, Android is more open-sourced, so you can even get the API for the phone call, and modify on that.

So I think, if you use N900 (maemo 5) now, when you choose your next smartphone, Android phone will be a good choice than N9.

The UX gap will be smaller comparing to Harmattan.

Don't you think so ?

Android is not Linux, so no.

Posts: 266 | Thanked: 156 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ India
Android is Linux taken... Mashed up with some 'creativity' from Google... (and of course the manufacturers...)adding to it rooting the phone voids warranty.. so its" NO, NO WAY" phone for people who used x-terminal and other developers and other people who like "OPEN SOURCE"..N900 defines it more preferably MAEMO-5 defines openness of an OS

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Believe me, I though so too. But now with my N9 I feel waaay much more at home than with a Galaxy S. Besides the looks Harmattan is still maemo.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Shanghai, China
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Believe me, I though so too. But now with my N9 I feel waaay much more at home than with a Galaxy S. Besides the looks Harmattan is still maemo.
I have used N900 for more than 18 months and I will get my N9 this week, from the articles online, I think Harmattan is more iOS-like, maybe my opinion will change after the actual use.

I think Google's going even more open source so the gap between Maemo5 and Android is getting a little closer.

Whereas Nokia is shifting away from Android and away from Maemo5 with Harmattan which is very iOS-like.

Still I think the closest thing to Maemo5 (besides MeeGo/Harmattan) is QNX only if RIM open sourced it. Its a very powerful OS from my experience, in fact sometimes I wish Nokia released the PlayBook (then at least they would've had a chance).

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
Its more ios-like in some ways, of course. But thats like saying android is more ios-like than maemo5. which it is, of course.

Consider the multitasking, for instance. Hold homekey, see recently ran apps, pick one. N900 and N9 share the multitasking similarity much more than m5 and android.

Likeness with ios is easy. its simple to use, fast and responsive.

Likeness with android is equally easy. you can root and customize and play around in terminal and install nonstore apps.

Likeness with m5 is also pretty damn easy. youve got actual fast multitasking and appswitching.

Overall though I wouldnt say harmattan is like any of the three, but has taken things from each.

The Following User Says Thank You to slai For This Useful Post:
WebOs is more Similar to Maemo then Android...

Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
Horses are more similiar to unicorns than moose.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to slai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 151 | Thanked: 178 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by lanwellon View Post
Android has the widgets, so as maemo 5, but Harmattan is more iOS-like, only menu of applications...Don't you think so ?
No, not really. Not at all.

You may have missed the notifications view - where I spend far more of my time than on any menu of applications. And then there's the multi-tasking view, where I spend most of the rest of my time (often selecting applications I've "launched" from the lock screen - email or messaging - or from the notifications screen - calendar, weather, rss reader and thence browser, or Facebook).

The UI of Maemo 5 and Android and Symbian, for that matter - particularly the most recent Belle implementation - share the desktop and widget paradigm. But I don't think anyone here would get much traction for making a case that, because of that, Maemo 5 and Symbian are similar.

Yet, that seems to be the case you make for Android.