Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
My take is that there are only two kinds of AMOLED screens coupled with various gimmicks

RGB AMOLED (E7, i8910, SGSII, 900, N85 et al.)
PenTile AMOLED (Nexus One, SGS, N9, RAZR et al.)

"Super" stands for the gimmick that it has the touch sensor integrated
"CBD" stands for a polarizer filter on top of it (Nokia only, samsung also have polarizers but don't advertise it)
"Plus" stands for non-PenTile (Samsung only - Nokia also has RGB Stripe screens but they don't advertize it)

98% of AMOLED Screens are made by Samsung according to wikipedia, so probably Nokia and Samsung screens are the same.

The deciding factor is probably the subpixel size. They start from what res and size they want and if it fits they go for RGB, else they go for PenTile. I expect Samsung to keep the higher res RGB screens for themselves for some months before licensing them to others, so that it helps them achieve World Domination™

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
You base that on what exactly?
Where are these "four variations" doco'd in more detail?
I was of the understanding there's a few more iterations than that.

Thank-you.
So basically they are all AMOLED displays, nearly all Samsung sourced, with differences in:
-screen size
-resolution
-subpixel coordination (PenTile vs PenTile&white + RGB)
-"Super" sensor (viewing angles, polarizer, brightness, consumption)

To simplify things, they can be grouped into 4 categories:
1)Super AMOLED (RGB)
2)Super AMOLED (PenTile)
3)AMOLED (RGB)
4)AMOLED (PenTile)

1) Only available on SGSII
2) Available on RAZR, Droid4 and all Samsung phones (Wave, Galaxy S, Galaxy Nexus, Note)
3) Nokia Lumia 900
4) Nexus One, Desire, etc etc (many phones from 2010)

Last edited by Kangal; 2012-01-10 at 13:46.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
So basically they are all AMOLED displays, nearly all Samsung sourced, with differences in:
-screen size
-resolution
-subpixel coordination (PenTile vs PenTile&white + RGB)
-"Super" sensor (viewing angles, polarizer, brightness, consumption)

To simplify things, they can be grouped into 4 categories:
1)Super AMOLED (RGB)
2)Super AMOLED (PenTile)
3)AMOLED (RGB)
4)AMOLED (PenTile)

1) Only available on SGSII
2) Available on RAZR, Droid4 and all Samsung phones (Wave, Galaxy S, Galaxy Nexus, Note)
3) Nokia Lumia 900
4) Nexus One, Desire, etc etc (many phones from 2010)
My understanding too basically....
Although (1) & (3) is also known as SAMOLED+ & AMOLED+ respectively.
The "+" refers to RGB (non-PenTile) sub-pixel config, but is more-so Samsung's exclusive marketing name IIRC.

I did a bunch of research yonks back, & found everything that defines the "Super" in SAMOLED (escapes me now, will dig up).
This enabled me to conclude that the N9's CBD AMOLED (despite not being appended w/"Super") is basically a SAMOLED (Pentile).*
That would make the 900 a SAMOLED (RGB), assuming the rumors are correct about it's sub-pixel configuration.

*These were two of the reasons reasons, but quite sure there was more to it:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
"Super" stands for the gimmick that it has the touch sensor integrated
"CBD" stands for a polarizer filter on top of it (Nokia only, samsung also have polarizers but don't advertise it)

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-01-10 at 14:19.

Posts: 245 | Thanked: 186 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Toronto-Canada
Originally Posted by asadkhan1988 View Post
where could one purchase nokia lumia unbranded and complete factory unlock?
Dubai, being one of them. Here every phone goes 'factory-unlocked' alongside network-locked units... that's a TRA regulation.

Which also reminds me... we could get unbranded devices [w/out the AT&T logo] there!

The Following User Says Thank You to qorax For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
I don't understand why they are re-using old Nokia device numbers like the 800 and 900? Are they trying to add a some masculinity to the Lumia name
Yep, the Lumia 900 was originally named 'Ace'... how, why it got dropped - is unknown.

How Stuffs Work? AMOLED

1. AMOLED (active-matrix organic light-emitting diode) is a display technology that generate light upon electrical activation that have been deposited or integrated onto a thin film transistor (TFT) array, which functions as a series of switches to control the current flowing to each individual pixel. Two primary TFT backplane technologies, namely polycrystalline silicon (poly-Si) and amorphous silicon (a-Si), are used today in AMOLEDs. These technologies help fabricating flexible plastic AMOLED displays - the backbone of smartphones.

2. Super-AMOLED is a variant from AMOLED (marketed by Samsung, soon being industry standard on all smartphones) mainly for the layer that detects touch - is integrated into the screen rather than being overlaid on top. Super-AMOLED advantages are brighter screens, less sunlight reflection and reduced power consumption.

3. Super-AMOLED Plus, first introduced with the SGS-II and Samsung Droid Charge smartphones, is a further development where the PenTile RGBG pixel matrix (2 subpixels) is replaced with Samsung's "Real Stripe" (3 subpixels) RGB subpixel arrangement. This goes from 8 to 12 subpixels per group, resulting in finer details. The screen technology is also brighter, thinner with AMOLED Plus displays being 18% more energy efficient than the previous Super AMOLEDs.

4. HD Super-AMOLED is a new S-AMOLED display from Samsung. The 1st device to use it was the Galaxy Note. The 2nd device to use it is Samsung's Galaxy Nexus phone - with a 4.65" display with 1280x720 resolution. The higher resolution and dpi were made possible due to a change in materials and new manufacturing process, though still using shadow mask (or fine metal mask [FMM]) technology. However this required a change back to pentile RGBG subpixels.

5. HD Super-AMOLED Plus. Samsung is expected to introduce a new screen using "Real Stripe" RGB subpixels with the move to the laser-induced thermal imaging (LITI) process. The change to LITI is also said to be an important step toward commercializing OLED TVs.

NOTE:
-AMOLED fabricators include AU Optronics and Samsung.
-Samsung has marketed their version as Super-AMOLED.
-Clear Black Display (CBD) is an AMOLED display with a polarized filter on top.
-DuPont used computational fluid dynamics (CFD) to optimize a new solution for AMOLEDs.
-DuPont's technology is cost and performance competitive for large display sizes.
-Though specs r yet unclear, it is expected that the Lumia 900 uses a Super-AMOLED Plus screen.

Qorax

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Why is this in the "Nokia N9 / N950" section?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Strange all the discussions about naming of screen tech: honestly I couldn't care less what Samsung is calling it's latest screen prototype technology.
I may be wrong on Lumia 900 being SAMOSUPERLED Plus Extra Razortina but the Pentile should not have made it to the N9.

Nokia engineers have made a critical (or deliberate) mistake to use this tech and it will age very quick. What is worse, it tires the eyes too.

Pentile should never have made it to this one of a kind device. Period.

No excuse of better black, resolution or ppi restrictions or requirements will set this straight.

Come one, we are watching poorly calibrated 16 bits graphics here. I want my text readable.

Steve Jobs wit his retina showed at least some insight in the matter.

Now that the Lumia 900 has better screen tech it is all the more clear that we got the Windows mid range testing intro hardware at a premium price. Forever.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
qorax, are you Elop?
(seems like you're from Canada aswell)

The Following User Says Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Why is this in the "Nokia N9 / N950" section?
Sorry Sir.
Just b'coz I'm "only" here - in this section.
The inconvenience is deeply regretted.