Posts: 23 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ United States
Based upon the fact that you may have lost/corrupted other files that you/may not be able to see in addition to your settings, I would suggest you back everything up and do a full reflash of the file system just in case.

That being said, if you wish to just try and repair it first, your first course of action is to determine if only the .desktop file has been lost or if the settings program itself is also gone.

Originally Posted by AJMAL P.M View Post
oh sorry!! My fault. I thought it was N9 connected to pc. My fault.
Did not work broo

Originally Posted by polarbear View Post
Based upon the fact that you may have lost/corrupted other files that you/may not be able to see in addition to your settings, I would suggest you back everything up and do a full reflash of the file system just in case.

That being said, if you wish to just try and repair it first, your first course of action is to determine if only the .desktop file has been lost or if the settings program itself is also gone.
Icon still exist in shortcuts....but cant open it

Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
Since some applications use the MyDocs partition also to store their settings, it is a very bad idea to scan that filesystem completely. Do it on a per-file-base, whenever you exchange files from the N900 to windows.
Still i am not quite sure what the error is that you are facing, is it just the missing shortcut, or is the settings application corrupted?
icon still exist in my desktop...but can't open it

Alright, then the next step for you is to check /usr/bin and make sure you have both controlpanel and controlpanel.launch

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Is it possible that Norton Antivirus deleted a file from /usr/? I suspect that there is something going with a dotfolder in MyDocs and not anything on the rootfs. After all windows do not have access to the rootfs when connected as mass storage or otherwise. Even if you did manage to connect it, win wouldn't be able to read the ext partition.

Therefore a sane approach would be to run /usr/bin/controlpanel from terminal and see what errors it spews, then uninstall any app that adds a control panel applet (maybe it has corrupted settings and causes control panel to crash). Last resort before reflash is to remove all the dotfolders from MyDocs, except .documents, .pictures, .videos etc.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Did he say that he had it connected in mass storage mode? I must have missed that. In that case, you're correct, Norton shouldn't have had any way to make changes to that. It must be something else, give what qwazix said a try.

Originally Posted by ramsheed View Post
Did not work broo
Forget it. That was for N9.

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Is it possible that Norton Antivirus deleted a file from /usr/? I suspect that there is something going with a dotfolder in MyDocs and not anything on the rootfs. After all windows do not have access to the rootfs when connected as mass storage or otherwise. Even if you did manage to connect it, win wouldn't be able to read the ext partition.

Therefore a sane approach would be to run /usr/bin/controlpanel from terminal and see what errors it spews, then uninstall any app that adds a control panel applet (maybe it has corrupted settings and causes control panel to crash). Last resort before reflash is to remove all the dotfolders from MyDocs, except .documents, .pictures, .videos etc.

can u help me with xterminal command to do it? pls

@qwaix.....pls reply.....i'm in deep trouble now