Active Topics

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
The idea of ACL strengthens the Android ecosystem and weakens the native harmattan ecosystem (because people may no longer develop things that are already available via ACL). I see no benefit. There is a reason why I don't use my Android phone....
Our ecosystem is dying anyways, many apps will not be ported to the N9 as theres no commercial viability in developing apps for us! So this will give our N9's the ability to last until they break, as wtithout this, in about a year there won't be any new apps for this device and people will move onto another device. This ACL means we will have the latest apps and we can carry on enjoying our beautiful UI of the N9 for much longer!

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
If I wanted crappy Android apps on my phone I have bought a damn Android device instead. If it even works it will be slow and eating CPU because android is bloated.. Then people will cry about "how bad HW N9 has"

So no this is not "excellent news"

Excelent news is when we get Qt5 from the FOSS community. And hopefully a last update PR1.3 from Nokia.

Please move this thread to Android fanboys subforum.
But this doesnt run a virtual machine so no, the CPU WONT be overloaded, it just runs a compatability layer, that then alows the apps to run, theres none of the Android system running on our devices!

Also your points are stupid, having Android apps is not a bad thing, The harmattan app system is already dying as theres no commercial viability in producing apps for it.

Yes majority of apps in Android are just as useless as majority of apps on iOS and most platforms, but there are a few that are VERY useful that will never make their way to Harmattan...

So stop your Android hating mentality as its not relevant here at all, we aren't talking about running android in the background, its just a compatabiity layer. Devices with our N9's hardware managed to run Android apps perfectly fine!

I understand its your opinion, but if you don't want to use ACL then don't, nobody is saying that you HAVE to use it.. You don't need to post about a topic if your not interested in it, go and post something more useful on a thread you actually care about..

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

Last edited by godofwar424; 2012-06-16 at 10:12.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to godofwar424 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by godofwar424 View Post
So stop your Android hating mentality as its not relevant here at all, we aren't talking about running android in the background, its just a compatabiity layer. Devices with our N9's hardware managed to run Android apps perfectly fine!

I understand its your opinion, but if you don't want to use ACL then don't, nobody is saying that you HAVE to use it.. You don't need to post about a topic if your not interested in it, go and post something more useful on a thread you actually care about..
you're missing the point. Once something like ACL becomes available, it will affect all of us, even if we (our some of us) don't instal it. It will affect us because, as I wrote above, it will weaken our own ecosystem even further. If you want Android applications and don't mind the firm google grip, get an Android phone. I don't use one because I want to keep away from google. I chose the n9/n900 knowing that they'd have less developer support... but they were free. Buying and using them is a statement against a world of apples and googles. There's no point in letting google in through the backdoor now.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
It will also remove incentive from developers to try new things. I for one prefer to code for the N9 as I know my efforts will be appreciated. Once there are a million apps, the excitement about new apps will vanish.

On the other hand the user inside me wants ACL more than the developer doesn't so I say bring it on. (I would trade it any day though for a Fremantle compatibility layer, possibility to install anything from maemo extras - I think extras has more valuable apps than the android market)

ps. I like how the N9 dictionary contains the Maemo distribution names

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
you're missing the point. Once something like ACL becomes available, it will affect all of us, even if we (our some of us) don't instal it. It will affect us because, as I wrote above, it will weaken our own ecosystem even further.
Because there's a torrent of quality Harmattan apps being released daily that will simply dry up with ACL???!
Be realistic, the only people making Harmattan apps now are the people on this forum, and we're not going to go all Android any time soon. Any commercial / mainstream app development has totally gone, and with good reason.
People making generic Qt apps are most likely going to meander off in a BB10-wards direction, and, oh look, they've already got an Android compatibility layer!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vitaminj For This Useful Post:
the reason people are skeptical is because dalvik is just a modified version of java, and java runs in a virtual machine.

You can just download and install the .apk directly. No Google there. But I agree native apps would still be the reference.

Posts: 704 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Johannesburg - South Africa
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
@Muzimak: Your "conclusions" are really funny to read, because they are so other-worldly / un-realistic.
What do you mean "My Conclusions"??? As if I always make unrealistic comments? I was just asking a question, if U don't know the answer shut up!

The Following User Says Thank You to Muzimak For This Useful Post:
I see no reason for this renewed optimism with ACL. DO you know how long ACL has been talking about porting to Harmattan? About as long as the N9 exists. Maybe they will be another Alien Dalvik, Peregrine or eBuddy.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by somedude View Post
is your qt5 going to bring me a commercial blanking app by chase to deposit my checks by taking its picture? Let me guess no so yeah the point stands.
well go get a android device then. There is plenty of them.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by godofwar424 View Post
Our ecosystem is dying anyways, many apps will not be ported to the N9 as theres no commercial viability in developing apps for us! So this will give our N9's the ability to last until they break, as wtithout this, in about a year there won't be any new apps for this device and people will move onto another device. This ACL means we will have the latest apps and we can carry on enjoying our beautiful UI of the N9 for much longer!

But this doesnt run a virtual machine so no, the CPU WONT be overloaded, it just runs a compatability layer, that then alows the apps to run, theres none of the Android system running on our devices!

Also your points are stupid, having Android apps is not a bad thing, The harmattan app system is already dying as theres no commercial viability in producing apps for it.

Yes majority of apps in Android are just as useless as majority of apps on iOS and most platforms, but there are a few that are VERY useful that will never make their way to Harmattan...

It is bad cause it hurt QT. But you dont care about that, However I do care. I want more native Qt Apps! Thats the difference! f those people ported some apps to harmattan instead of this ridicilous project that NEVER will integrate well on Maemo6.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2012-06-16 at 13:16.

Tags
android clones, clone_wars, hope...