Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I nominate Copernicus for his excellent work on Pierogi, and his continued support for community requests. Unfortunately the N9 does not have an ir port.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
We only have a couple of names so far, so don't be shy with your nominations folks

Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
I nominate you, for dealing with all this mess and committing all the time and effort it's taken to make this CC the success it's been.
Thanks Woody, but I really wouldn't accept it. There's plenty of folks out there in greater need of a new device and more deserving too. It's great to be thought of though

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I nominate Copernicus for his excellent work on Pierogi, and his continued support for community requests. Unfortunately the N9 does not have an ir port.
Cool, he's on the list of hopefuls then

Although the N9 doesn't have an infared transmitter, with a little bit of blue sky thinking, you can duct tape one on lol One of the silly projects I had my summer school class doing was creating a TV remote using the N950 to communicate with an arduino over bluetooth, which sent the signal to the telly over an IR transmitter.

Then we reversed it around, and controlled an application on the N950 by using pressing buttons a television remote control. The remote control sent signals to a IR receiver connected to the same arduino, which sent commands back over bluetooth to the N950. So we could change slideshow images and play sounds by using the telly remote. Sort of useless, but a teaching exercise for the kids.

Anyway, maybe Copernicus should consider creating a hardware peripheral for a Harmattan version of Pierogi lol

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-10-17 at 12:40.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Why, thank you! I do have other little projects I'd like to work on, but yeah, at least for the near future all my available free coding time is going to continue to be devoted to Pierogi, so maybe not very applicable to the N9.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Although the N9 doesn't have an infared transmitter, with a little bit of blue sky thinking, you can duct tape one on lol One of the silly projects I had my summer school class doing was creating a TV remote using the N950 to communicate with an arduino over bluetooth, which sent the signal to the telly over an IR transmitter.
Not a bad idea at all; that's how some popular devices like the Griffin Beacon work.

Then we reversed it around, and controlled an application on the N950 by using pressing buttons a television remote control. The remote control sent signals to a IR receiver connected to the same arduino, which sent commands back over bluetooth to the N950. So we could change slideshow images and play sounds by using the telly remote. Sort of useless, but a teaching exercise for the kids.
Not as useless as you might think -- you might be able to turn that device into a "learning remote" for the N9/N950/N900. The LIRC server (which has been running on the N900 from the beginning) has plenty of support for receiving IR data, it just hasn't had the hardware available to do it...

Anyway, maybe Copernicus should consider creating a hardware peripheral for a Harmattan version of Pierogi lol
Ah, I'm pretty much just a software guy. But yeah, there's no reason an N9/N950 + bluetooth IR dongle couldn't run Pierogi...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
*edit* I was too mean before.

I nominate Stephen Elop. He can see how good his "burning platform" really was.

Of course, that would be a waste of a totally good N9.

Last edited by jackburton; 2012-10-18 at 19:29. Reason: too mean

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jackburton For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by jackburton View Post
I nominate Stephen Elop.
Of course, that would be a waste of a totally good N9.
Yeah, that would just be a total waste

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Griffin Beacon
D'Oh!
The first flash vid not playing with new flash 10 lib on my N900...
Sorry for OT

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
@ kojacker

Once the last device has a winner, please send the list of people, devices and Nokia accounts to council@maemo.org, so we can hand it to Nokia for distribution of devices.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
@ kojacker

Once the last device has a winner, please send the list of people, devices and Nokia accounts to council@maemo.org, so we can hand it to Nokia for distribution of devices.
Sure thing ivgalvez

Last call for nominations for the fcrocik award guys - so far I've had one on pm, a few on email, and the nomination on this thread too.

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-10-19 at 09:25.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Wasn't there a testing squad at some point? Is there anybody on that team who deserves an N9?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jackburton For This Useful Post:

Tags
happy new year, mcc2012, merry christmas